Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 27,146 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I currently live in Arizona and my boyfriend and I are relocating to Albany in August because he will be attending graduate school at RPI. I am from the Capital District originally but from the Schenectady/Niskayuna area.

I know nothing about Troy and was wondering if anyone could offer opinions or suggestions on housing possibilities close to the RPI campus. Safety is a concern and also off-street parking would be nice. My perception after researching this area is that it's kind of run-down. If that perception needs correctly, I am all ears!

Apartments with a 1 year lease would be nice. We probably don't want to spend more than $800-$900 a month.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,957 times
you will have no problem finding an apartment for that price in troy. You make want to look in brunswick which is a bit east of the college, but that keeps you out of the riff raff of Troy. Try craigslist.com you will find TONS of listings for apts in Troy.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM

Well I didn't think we would have an issue finding a place, but the question here is will it be nice and will I get my money's worth?

If anyone has suggestions of places/neighborhoods around RPI that are nice, please let me know!

I will check out Bruswick too, thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM

34 posts, read 70,182 times
You will definitely get your money's worth if you look. Many apartments are run down, but plenty of them are delightful. Many students live in housing right around RPI, which is up on a hill that overlooks downtown Troy. Some students prefer to live in the city and walk to RPI. Really the only RPI students I know live right in downtown Troy, and that's because that is where I live myself. I just bought a two-family and I will have an apartment to rent out myself for May 1. I will be posting my apartment on craigslist.net. You will find many apartments with photos there. You can use maps.google.com to look up address in the area. In fact, for some reason google actually has a "street view" of Troy, which means you can actually look at pictures of the streets. Check it out!

Just go to the Albany listing for craigslist and search on Troy.

Stay away from North Troy and South Troy, but consider downtown Troy. Otherwise, go for the RPI area. It is a little tough to figure out where to live in Troy, I admit. It took me a long time to get to know Troy, and the RPI area is still fuzzy.

If you prefer the suburbs, try Brunswick or East Greenbush addresses. I would be happy to help further if you have any specific questions about certain addresses. There are a lot of owner occupied buildings (such as mine) and two and three families and such, but if you prefer you could also find apartment complexes in the area with all the modern conveniences. Some of the old historic buildings have all the modern conveniences too.

Actually the question is... do you prefer amenities, historic city charm, suburban lifestyle, or what? You can find any of those here and there is a big difference in lifestyles.

The flat I will be renting is 1350 square feet for somewhere between 800-900 (I'm still figuring that out- I've been thinking $850, but I might take it up to $875). It's a historic building that I have been renovating since August and the upstairs flat will be ready in a couple weeks for showing. If you're interested I'll tell you all about it.

Just pay attention to whether or not heat is included in the rent, because heat is really expensive in upstate NY! If you have to pay heat, you should be paying lower rent, and if your rent it on the high side, it had better include heat.

Are you going to come here to Troy and look or do you have to figure it all out long-distance?

Best,

Jenny

Last edited by JR-In-Troy; 03-19-2008 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM

We will not be moving to the area until the beginning of August. We plan on visiting at the end of May/beginning of June to start looking around at places.

I would not mind hearing about you place. Does it include heat? hahaha.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,716 times
Question Apartments in Troy, NY area-- help needed to decide

Hello,

I have the same question about apartments in Troy area.
I am starting at RPI in January 2009 and will move to area from out of state in mid December to get used to the new place.

I have a small dog and was looking for apartments in Troy area that allow dogs (so many allow only cats).
I have a list of apts:
TROY

Cedar Park Apartments
2101 Sausse Avenue, Troy, NY 12180

-------

Riverview Garden Apts.

182 E. Delaware Ave., Troy, NY 12180

LATHAM

Highland Club Apartments

20 Eastview Drive, Latham, NY 12189

----------------------------
Lake Shore Park Apartments

23 Lake Shore Drive, Latham, NY 12189

-----

Brunswick

Apartments at Brunswick
McChesney Avenue, Brunswick, NY 12180

Could you please tell me which one is better and the reasons behind your choice so I can choose the best of those.

Thank you very much for your help!

Looking forward to join the community!

Taylor

Old 09-14-2008, 05:03 PM

59 posts, read 287,881 times
LATHAM

Highland Club Apartments

20 Eastview Drive, Latham, NY 12189

----------------------------
Lake Shore Park Apartments

23 Lake Shore Drive, Latham, NY 12189

Highland Club is better than Lake Shore Park Apts

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 32,019 times
Taylor, I live at Valley View Apartments on the edge of Watervliet/Latham and though they say they don't allow dogs, EVERYONE has a dog, not just little ones, one of my neighbors actually has a pit bull. They don't ever check, and a 1 bedroom apartment is $500 a month. The only things I don't like are the road (it's like the moon) and I have very noisy neighbors that don't control their children. So pretty much as long as you have good shocks in your car and don't end up next to my neighbors, this is a good place to live.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,287 times
Default Looking for quiet but nice place to live near RPI grad school

I am considering moving to the Troy area to take up courses at the Communications grad school, which I believe is south of Brunswick. I am still investigating the HCI program but am serious about potentially making this move.

If I want to move into a place that literally shares no walls with any other tenants unless the wall is cement, what is my best option? A house rental? Or are there decent townhomes/condos that are well insulated from neighbors? I am shying away from living in one of the newer cheaply-built apartments where you can hear your neighbor flush his toilet.

My credit is top-notch, and I own residential property in Maryland. My current landlord loves me and would probably provide a great reference.

Oh, and I have a cat. She's harmless. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Susie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area