Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Well Albany of course,Amsterdam,Schenectady,Troy(I did get a reply back to a place in the Carroll Hill/Hillsview area,Hoosick was said to have terrible water contamination,Cohoes hit or miss with flooding,I also saw a place in Bennington VT but was told I'd pay taxes where I live and also where I work,which is fine since I might possibly get some back on my returns at the end of the year.

Recommended towns were Fonda,Fultonville,Delmar,Ravena,Clifton Park,Burnt Hills,Voorheesville,Gansvoort,Corinth,Queensbury,F ort Edward,Fort Ann,Rock City,Latham,Wilton,Gloversville...but I forgot about the commute in the snow;
Most of those places are too far a hike from Saratoga - Delmar, Voorheesville, Ravena, Fonda, Fultonville, Gloversville - you're looking at no less than a half hour to 45 minute commute, possibly up to an hour if you are 8-5. And if you don't know the back ways, you'll be coming through the Albany commute with most of those places, and that is NO PLACE to be during rush hour. When I was driving 16 miles from Sch'dy to Menands I had to be on the road no later than 7:15 if I wanted to guarantee arrival at my office by 8:00. That is a drive that can take me 20 minutes when the traffic is sparse.

Your best bets would be Clifton Park, Gansvoort, Rock City Falls, Wilton, Burnt Hills, Fort Edward, and possibly Fort Ann and Queensbury. Latham might be a possibility as well. Most of these places are in Saratoga County, or else bordering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Most of those places are too far a hike from Saratoga - Delmar, Voorheesville, Ravena, Fonda, Fultonville, Gloversville - you're looking at no less than a half hour to 45 minute commute, possibly up to an hour if you are 8-5. And if you don't know the back ways, you'll be coming through the Albany commute with most of those places, and that is NO PLACE to be during rush hour. When I was driving 16 miles from Sch'dy to Menands I had to be on the road no later than 7:15 if I wanted to guarantee arrival at my office by 8:00. That is a drive that can take me 20 minutes when the traffic is sparse.
Most likely it won't be 8-5,but I checked on my maps app on the phone and it gives time estimates which didn't seem that bad,but then I wasn't looking during those times. I've gotten so used to a clear drive out here that 35 miles takes me about 45 min.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Well Albany of course,Amsterdam,Schenectady,Troy(I did get a reply back to a place in the Carroll Hill/Hillsview area,Hoosick was said to have terrible water contamination,Cohoes hit or miss with flooding,I also saw a place in Bennington VT but was told I'd pay taxes where I live and also where I work,which is fine since I might possibly get some back on my returns at the end of the year.

Recommended towns were Fonda,Fultonville,Delmar,Ravena,Clifton Park,Burnt Hills,Voorheesville,Gansvoort,Corinth,Queensbury,F ort Edward,Fort Ann,Rock City,Latham,Wilton,Gloversville...but I forgot about the commute in the snow;
There is a Hoosick, but you mean Hoosick Falls in terms of water contamination issues. That may be a bit too far away anyway. Same for Bennington VT, the Fonda-Fultonville area, Ravena, Voorheesville, Gloversville and Amsterdam.

Rock City Falls is a small hamlet.

No mention of Ballston Spa or Glens Falls? Queensbury, which is a suburb of Glens Falls was suggested, but not Glens Falls itself? No South Glens Falls?

That one apartment listing is actually just north of Saratoga Springs. So, what about something like that?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:

Your best bets would be Clifton Park, Gansvoort, Rock City Falls, Wilton, Burnt Hills, Fort Edward, and possibly Fort Ann and Queensbury. Latham might be a possibility as well. Most of these places are in Saratoga County, or else bordering it.
Oops! Sorry that I didn't see this.....

Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No mention of Ballston Spa or Glens Falls? Queensbury, which is a suburb of Glens Falls was suggested, but not Glens Falls itself? No South Glens Falls?

That one apartment listing is actually just north of Saratoga Springs. So, what about something like that?
Everything is worth checking,we didn't cover those other towns yet.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Most likely it won't be 8-5,but I checked on my maps app on the phone and it gives time estimates which didn't seem that bad,but then I wasn't looking during those times. I've gotten so used to a clear drive out here that 35 miles takes me about 45 min.
A maps app isn't going to be able to measure or tell you the traffic volume at any given time, no. Not better than someone like myself. When I first got my license I was scared to drive on certain parts of the highway around here because of hearing the traffic reports on the radio when I was growing up. I-787 (stretches from Exit 23 of NYS Thruway past Albany up to Cohoes) seemed like Death Road to me.

You won't have a clear drive anywhere in this area during rush hour. Not this close to the state capital.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
A maps app isn't going to be able to measure or tell you the traffic volume at any given time, no. Not better than someone like myself.
My gps is usually up to the minute and pretty good...I think it gets it's info directly from the DOT or something. It's now about 6:27 EST and right now it says the drive from Albany to Saratoga is running about 42 min...

Old 05-08-2017, 03:34 PM

63 posts, read 152,006 times
The best thing about the Capitol District, imo, is that it's relatively easy to have a short commute. I think that's why so many posters here are asking why you're not looking closer to Saratoga. If you're looking at a site like Apartments.com or Apartmentguide.com, yes, you'll see things mostly in the Albany area, not in the Saratoga area.

So, to answer your question: Great areas around Albany (imo) are East Greenbush, North Greenbush, Guilderland, Colonie, Bethlehem, Delmar. New Scotland is also very nice, but probably doesn't have many apartment complexes, and it puts you on the wrong side of Albany anyway, in terms of getting on the Northway up to Saratoga. And it would be more single-family homes in any case. Cohoes is hit-or-miss, so is Rensselaer, in terms of good neighborhoods/bad neighborhoods. Colonie has the advantage of being on the north side of Albany, closer to Saratoga. Clifton Park likely has some listings on the apartment sites, and that puts you half-way to Saratoga. Malta probably also has some listings, and that's even closer.

Having lived many years all over the greater Capitol Region (which includes Saratoga), I would also recommend looking closer to Saratoga. I hear you that you understand about commuting, etc, but when you live in a place like the Capitol Region, a 45 minute commute somehow becomes long. If you lived close to NYC, that would be nothing. It's funny how the size of the metro area really changes perspective.

I would recommend looking at sites other than the standard apartment sites. Try Craigslist and Zillow Rentals. I've moved frequently over that past couple of decades, and I'll usually start by taking a quick browse on Apartments.com, but then quickly move on to CL and Z, and even Realtor.com has rentals.

Another really lovely thing about the greater Cap. Region is the really beautiful older homes, from Victorian era on. Round Lake has a section of absolutely stunning Victorians, and I once rented an apartment in one that had been split up into 6 apartments. I found that in the classifieds section of the Times Union. Something like that would never show up on Apartments.com. I don't think Craigslist existed back then - this was early 90's when I rented that apartment, but the TU classifieds are probably still worth a check. If you're looking at classifieds for an apartment, be sure to check out the Saratogian, also. Aside from Craigslist, that's probably your best source for individual landlords renting part of a house, or even a whole house. Depending on your budget, you may want to consider renting a house or townhouse instead of an apartment. That's not something you'd generally do in a major metro area, but it can be a nice option in smaller cities, or out in the country.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locolady View Post
New Scotland is also very nice, but probably doesn't have many apartment complexes, and it puts you on the wrong side of Albany anyway, in terms of getting on the Northway up to Saratoga. And it would be more single-family homes in any case. Clifton Park likely has some listings on the apartment sites, and that puts you half-way to Saratoga. Malta probably also has some listings, and that's even closer.

Having lived many years all over the greater Capitol Region (which includes Saratoga), I would also recommend looking closer to Saratoga. I hear you that you understand about commuting, etc, but when you live in a place like the Capitol Region, a 45 minute commute somehow becomes long. If you lived close to NYC, that would be nothing. It's funny how the size of the metro area really changes perspective.

I would recommend looking at sites other than the standard apartment sites. Try Craigslist and Zillow Rentals. I've moved frequently over that past couple of decades, and I'll usually start by taking a quick browse on Apartments.com, but then quickly move on to CL and Z, and even Realtor.com has rentals.

Round Lake has a section of absolutely stunning Victorians, and I once rented an apartment in one that had been split up into 6 apartments. I found that in the classifieds section of the Times Union. Something like that would never show up on Apartments.com. I don't think Craigslist existed back then - this was early 90's when I rented that apartment, but the TU classifieds are probably still worth a check. If you're looking at classifieds for an apartment, be sure to check out the Saratogian, also. Aside from Craigslist, that's probably your best source for individual landlords renting part of a house, or even a whole house. Depending on your budget, you may want to consider renting a house or townhouse instead of an apartment.
I'm not necessarily looking for apartments,they can be rigid and limiting...especially if you have pets like us. The upside is that they're run by legitimate agencies,rather than possible scam artists online. The downside to that is though sometimes private renters can be a little more lenient with things,which is something we're mostly likely going to need depending how much of a reference check they do. We've been late on rent here a couple times,and the house we had lived in previously is up for sheriffs sale.

I know all about commutes,I lived in the Philadelphia area where I was lucky to cover 25 miles in under an hour.

As far as older homes,my first apt was in a house built around 1900...it was so drafty etc so I'm a little leery,especially in such a cold area as upstate NY.

And as far as budget,as I've probably mentioned...trying to find at least 1 bedroom that allows pets for $800 may be a bit difficult in the region. I've also created a post comparing the cost in the Rochester area,where my company also has another location.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
How about The Lofts in Cohoes? They are in some of the old mill buildings along the Mohawk River, I am pretty sure they allow pets, and while the rents are more than 800.00, they are pretty much all inclusive. If I were looking for a place I would definitely be checking them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area