Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,081 times

Advertisements

Our family may be moving to the Albany region this spring. This forum is providing plenty of great insight on the region. One void seems to be info on youth athletics. Our children enjoy sports and I am wondering which communities may offer the best/most developed youth programs. Specifically, football, basketball, swimming, baseball and softball. We anticipate living within 30 minute commute to Albany. I like the looks of Guilderland, Bethlehem, etc. and then to the east/southeast (thank you to person that keeps tossing Averill Park into the mix). Love up and around Saratoga but not the sounds of the commute. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsren View Post
Our family may be moving to the Albany region this spring. This forum is providing plenty of great insight on the region. One void seems to be info on youth athletics. Our children enjoy sports and I am wondering which communities may offer the best/most developed youth programs. Specifically, football, basketball, swimming, baseball and softball. We anticipate living within 30 minute commute to Albany. I like the looks of Guilderland, Bethlehem, etc. and then to the east/southeast (thank you to person that keeps tossing Averill Park into the mix). Love up and around Saratoga but not the sounds of the commute. Thanks!
There should be plenty of youth sports programs in the area. I know Shenendehowa is another school that is known for having good sports teams. Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake is another such school. Both are good school districts as well. Here are some websites that could give you an idea of what is available in the area: Home of the North Colonie Youth Baseball Association (NCYBA)

<Font Size=+3><B>ALBANY/WATERFORD YANKEES - (Clifton Park, NY) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Bethlehem Pop Warner Home

Saratoga Springs Pop Warner :: Locations

Home of New York's Only Nike Sponsored Travel Team - City Rocks (http://www.cityrocks.org/home.asp - broken link)

Capital District Youth Basketball League: Locations (http://www.eteamz.com/CDYBL/locations/ - broken link)

www.classielassies.com

BKW Little League

Capital District YMCA

District Pool - Mohonasen CSD, Rotterdam, NY

Aquatic Center- Shenendehowa CSD, Clifton Park, NY

for Capital District parents looking for local information on children's sports, activities and dance - The Childrens Guide (http://www.thechildrensguide.com/sports_activities/ - broken link)

and many more.......

Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,493 times
I think most of the suburbs with higher rate school districts have very well developed sports programs. Good school districts attract families and families that can afford to move to good school districts invest a lot of money and time in their children's sports/extra curricular activities.

When you say developed, do you mean competitive? For some folks, the most competitive areas are almost unfriendly to folks trying to play for "fun." These days, youth sports have been taken to a whole new level, so if you're looking for travel/tournament teams, then you can't go wrong with the major suburbs like Guilderland, Shenendehowa(Clifton Park), Niskayuna, etc.

For baseball and softball, I know it's very competitive in Clifton Park. Almost cut throat for miss shen softball. The 9U baseball team made it to regionals or something last year, I think it was Maryland they went to. There is a competative swim club in Niskayuna, but kids come from all over. The Clifton Park swim club is just getting going because of their new aquatic center. I don't know much about basketball or football, but sports in general are a big part of the Capital District.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 9,081 times
@ckhthankgod - you can thank god but I thank you for taking the time to share those links!!! Very helpful.

@cigarboo - yes I am looking for competitive programs to some degree. The kids are still fairly young (1st and 4th) so I really want programs that teach fundamentals, allowing them to develop and hopefully compete are the higher level.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM

267 posts, read 971,508 times
A couple of other places for sports are the JCCs, Boy's & Girl's Club, Afrim's, Sportstime.

Schenectady Jewish Community Center

Rotterdam B&G Club

SportimeNY

Afrim's Sports

Also Union College in Sch'dy has amazing summer camp opportunities. Here's the link from last year, it'll give you an idea of what will be offered this summer.
Union College Athletics - Summer Sports Academies at Union College

It's quite possible that the other college/universities could offer similiar programs for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area