U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 25,079 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving from Phoenix so that I can attend Albany Law in the fall, however I haven't the faintest clue about Albany.

He works in the hotel industry, four to five star resorts, banquet serving. Any ideas on the hotel industry up there? What is the season? Are there any resorts that fit this bill?

We are also looking to rent a house, but one that will make it fairly convenient to get to the law school which is located near the Albany Medical Center off New Scotland and Myrtle Ave.

I would greatly appreciate any information you have regarding rentals, work, weather, etc. Like I said, I know nothing about Albany and I'm gathering information. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM

270 posts, read 747,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alouchouetta View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning on moving from Phoenix so that I can attend Albany Law in the fall, however I haven't the faintest clue about Albany.

He works in the hotel industry, four to five star resorts, banquet serving. Any ideas on the hotel industry up there? What is the season? Are there any resorts that fit this bill?

We are also looking to rent a house, but one that will make it fairly convenient to get to the law school which is located near the Albany Medical Center off New Scotland and Myrtle Ave.

I would greatly appreciate any information you have regarding rentals, work, weather, etc. Like I said, I know nothing about Albany and I'm gathering information. Thank you!
Hi alouchouetta,
First off Congrats on Albany Law. I hear it is a good school. I have only been there once though so I cant tell ya much about it.
Albany is pretty cool. Has some crappy areas like any city and as long as you don't go near Arbor Hill you'll be ok. Not sure how many houses are available to rent but check out craigslist.com or timesunion.com .
4 and 5 Star resorts umm we don't really have those around here. The closest resort to Albany as far as I know is in Greenville. About a 25-30 minute ride depending where in Albany you are. Its called SunnyHill. and another called Pinelake Mannor. There are also alot of Country Clubs but come fall they are usually all staffed up and close at the end of September. But Albany has alot of hotels, bars and restaurants, so finding work in that field is pretty easy. The two sites I gave you will have job postings too.
Albany itself is an old city with lots of culture and lots of fun stuff to do especially in the summer. Washington Park is pretty cool. Good Luck to you and your boyfriend. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 AM

7 posts, read 35,669 times
You BF should also try Saratoga. It has a very upscale clientele especially in the summer when the racing starts. I can't think of any resorts really. There are many great restaurants though - also he could try the Hall of Springs in Saratoga which is a very posh place that has banquets and weddings. It is about a 40 minute drive from Albany. But taking the 'Northway' it isn't too bad - though the traffic is bad in the summer with the horse track is active and when Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC to the locals) have a concert The Magic is Back at SPAC! (The HAll of Springs is on the SPAC grounds).

Also have him try the Glenn Sanders Mansion Glen Sanders Mansion which is another posh wedding/banquet place in the area.

Good luck to him.

Albany is called "Smallbany" by the locals. Some in a good way some in a not so good way. There is a lot to do in the downtown area but maybe not as much as in Phoenix - I don't know Phoenix at all but I imagine it is a large city with lots to do. Downtown Albany has good restaurants and lots of pubs and nightclubs in the area for younger crowds. (I highly recommend McGeary's for the summer Pub experience and The Albany Pump Station - you simply MUST have the calamari - they are off the South Pearl Street exit off I-90E)

I agree with the assessment of the earlier post to avoid Arbor Hill. There are many other neighborhoods that are cute and reasonably priced. And pretty much everywhere is a short commute. The major Mall which has everything and I do mean everything it is HUuuuge - is Crossgates Mall. Also, a smaller mall is Colonie Center which is on Wolf Road and has the first L.L. Bean in NY.

There is a very big college population in and around there. Beside ALS, there is SUNY Albany, College of St. Rose, Sienna, Sage, HVCC, Union, Plus Albany Med School and College of Pharmacy so along with that there is the typical influx of college age people and all that suggests good, bad and otherwise. I would say congratulations on ALS My brother is currently going there (he is an older student - late 30's) and says that the students and faculty are VERY liberal in their politics but that is standard for a law school these days and he is very Conservative

Albany gets very cold in the winter - lots of snow (yes - everything that you heard about snow in NY is true). You are from Phoenix so make sure that you invest in a good coat and boots and sweaters and warm socks and an automatic car starter and seat warmers....lol.. sounds horrible but you will get used to it. It does get tiring around March and it is still cold. But the Fall is beautiful (Go apple picking!!!! ) and the summer is usually very mild.

"Live at 5" is a big draw when the summer comes along and the outdoor activities pick up. You will see that it is a fun city.

All in all Albany will be good to you. It is really a lovely city and I miss it terribly ( I am in the military stationed in Iraq - so I WISH I were there!! lol ) and hope to return VERY soon.

Last edited by bela516; 03-14-2008 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM

270 posts, read 747,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bela516 View Post
You BF should also try Saratoga. It has a very upscale clientele especially in the summer when the racing starts. I can't think of any resorts really. There are many great restaurants though - also he could try the Hall of Springs in Saratoga which is a very posh place that has banquets and weddings. It is about a 40 minute drive from Albany. But taking the 'Northway' it isn't too bad - though the traffic is bad in the summer with the horse track is active and when Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC to the locals) have a concert The Magic is Back at SPAC! (The HAll of Springs is on the SPAC grounds).

Also have him try the Glenn Sanders Mansion Glen Sanders Mansion which is another posh wedding/banquet place in the area.

Good luck to him.

Albany is called "Smallbany" by the locals. Some in a good way some in a not so good way. There is a lot to do in the downtown area but maybe not as much as in Phoenix - I don't know Phoenix at all but I imagine it is a large city with lots to do. Downtown Albany has good restaurants and lots of pubs and nightclubs in the area for younger crowds. (I highly recommend McGeary's for the summer Pub experience and The Albany Pump Station - you simply MUST have the calamari - they are off the South Pearl Street exit off I-90E)

I agree with the assessment of the earlier post to avoid Arbor Hill. There are many other neighborhoods that are cute and reasonably priced. And pretty much everywhere is a short commute. The major Mall which has everything and I do mean everything it is HUuuuge - is Crossgates Mall. Also, a smaller mall is Colonie Center which is on Wolf Road and has the first L.L. Bean in NY.

There is a very big college population in and around there. Beside ALS, there is SUNY Albany, College of St. Rose, Sienna, Sage, HVCC, Union, Plus Albany Med School and College of Pharmacy so along with that there is the typical influx of college age people and all that suggests good, bad and otherwise. I would say congratulations on ALS My brother is currently going there (he is an older student - late 30's) and says that the students and faculty are VERY liberal in their politics but that is standard for a law school these days and he is very Conservative

Albany gets very cold in the winter - lots of snow (yes - everything that you heard about snow in NY is true). You are from Phoenix so make sure that you invest in a good coat and boots and sweaters and warm socks and an automatic car starter and seat warmers....lol.. sounds horrible but you will get used to it. It does get tiring around March and it is still cold. But the Fall is beautiful (Go apple picking!!!! ) and the summer is usually very mild.

"Live at 5" is a big draw when the summer comes along and the outdoor activities pick up. You will see that it is a fun city.

All in all Albany will be good to you. It is really a lovely city and I miss it terribly ( I am in the military stationed in Iraq - so I WISH I were there!! lol ) and hope to return VERY soon.
(My appologies to the original OP since I am taking this a bit off topic.)
I just want to wish bela516 a safe tour and hope she comes back soon! Thank you for service bela516!
To the OP, bela516 is right on everything. If you can get past the cold winters you will love it here! There is always something to do.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,085,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bela516 View Post

Good luck to him.

Best wishes to YOU!! God speed getting home and thank you for everything you have done!!

LTJG Brandon Smith/USN

Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,085,516 times
COMPLETELY AGREE with Saratoga as potential catering work. Especially in the summer. There are many beautiful halls and restaurants. IMO...when I lived in the area 3 years...there was a need for private caterers...not just a restaurant taking their same ol menu and putting it in catering trays! Someone with a good touch and creative menu ideas could so well. There is money in Saratoga.

For already existing businesses...you may want to check out Longfellows right near the Saratoga Golf Course. Its fantastic!!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 AM

7 posts, read 35,669 times
Red face Thanks

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,923 times
If you are looking for a rental in Albany, you should definitely look for off street parking (if you have a car). Winter is the worst for parking, especially if it snows and you can only park on one side of the street! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM

34 posts, read 198,188 times
i reccomend living in the suburbs. go to east greenbush or latham or guilderland. commuting to albany is no problem at all. if you live 10 miles out you will be there in 15 minutes, the area does not suffer from big city traffic issues. i would not reccomend living near albany law school, it is waaaay too close to the south end, which is a ghetto.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM

257 posts, read 1,268,464 times
Alouchouetta, see my post in the other Albany thread. Overall it's not that bad for a small city. Arbor Hill and anywhere along Central Ave, as well as the South End (east of Albany Law) is a little rough, but depending on what you're used to, it's not that bad. I second Saratoga for hospitality jobs. There are plenty of hotels around in the city, but not too many full out resorts that I know of.

Rent is cheap in Albany. My friends rented a 4 bedroom for only 1000/month in a decent area. If you are sick of college students/college bars, avoid the area bounded by Ontario/Central/South Lake/Madison, it's all SUNY students, bars, and cheap pizza places. There are really nice yet still classic urban neighborhoods along Western Ave west of Saint Rose. Also, there are some nice brownstone row-house type buildings down around Washington Park along State Street, etc.

Oh, and I hope you like cold winters and plenty of snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area