Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM

233 posts, read 318,169 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs here in the Albany forum or general house forum..but thought I'd start here...

Wondering if it's just here in the Capital Region or a NY thing...I'm helping my parents get quotes for exterior porch work...much of it being structural. So not a DIY thing! 2 of the quotes so far indicated "we" would be responsible for any/ the permits required by the city.

While these quotes are from smaller licensed & insured contractors - I was shocked!

Any idea if this is "normal" practice? Or suggestions as to why?

I assumed this would be part of the service/responsibility of the contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls012 View Post
Not sure if this belongs here in the Albany forum or general house forum..but thought I'd start here...

Wondering if it's just here in the Capital Region or a NY thing...I'm helping my parents get quotes for exterior porch work...much of it being structural. So not a DIY thing! 2 of the quotes so far indicated "we" would be responsible for any/ the permits required by the city.

While these quotes are from smaller licensed & insured contractors - I was shocked!

Takes too much time for them, a potential liability if it turns out the permit is wrong/incorrectly issued. Just do it yourself. Lots of places have this online.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Ultimately, the homeowner is responsible for the permit. You're responsible for making sure the work is permitted and that inspections take place. You're also responsible for closing out the permit as well.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:33 AM

142 posts, read 294,176 times
I've had my old attach garage torn down and replaced it with a new attached garage. The contractor took care of everything, including the permits and making sure the building inspector came at the beginning, middle, and end of project. If it's a structural change or replacement you are having done you are required to have a permit for the work.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:

One question: is this repair work structural and not altering the porch's appearance; or is it structural and making changes in the construction/appearance of the porch? Some areas won't require a permit for the former.

DH is a contractor and it is standard procedure that the homeowner obtain the permits. Just make sure that when you choose a contractor that you request a Certificate of Liability Insurance listing you as the certificate holder as well as a workers comp certificate listing you as holder.

More often than not obtaining permits it is relatively easy to do. There can be some hurdles, won't fib.

I handled this for my own home on Long Island. We built a very large detached, two level carriage house garage. I needed a slew of variances plus had to deal with historic zoning. An expeditor approached me after I received approval at the final hearing. He told me that I saved about $1,200.00 doing the legwork myself.

If you can, obtain the permits for your parents and save them some money that they could put toward the work.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM

I believe the potential permit is referring to the temporary structural support needed to hold up the porch, as the columns underneath are temporarily removed in order to replace the rotted wood bases they currently sit on. No changes are being made- just repair and replacement of rotten wood- all over the front (column bases, fascia, trim, railings).

Personally, I'd rather have the contractor handle the associated paperwork/permits and was surprised when I was told that would be our responsibility. These were small companies, and maybe that has something to do with it also. IDK.. Nothings been done yet.. still on a hunt for the right fit.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
I believe the potential permit is referring to the temporary structural support needed to hold up the porch, as the columns underneath are temporarily removed in order to replace the rotted wood bases they currently sit on. No changes are being made- just repair and replacement of rotten wood- all over the front (column bases, fascia, trim, railings).

Personally, I'd rather have the contractor handle the associated paperwork/permits and was surprised when I was told that would be our responsibility. These were small companies, and maybe that has something to do with it also. IDK.. Nothings been done yet.. still on a hunt for the right fit.
Contact the building department in which the home is located and confirm exactly what you will need. Where I am, a structural repair without any other changes (such as expanding porch size, i.e creating more living space) does not require a permit.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:41 AM

Thank you! I'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: