U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,851 times

Advertisements

Hello !
So, my family and I are considering a move back east from San Francisco Bay Area ( I grew up in west cty ny) to Saratoga springs area. I have family up there and am somewhat familiar, but not with Saratoga springs in particular . Help! We are concerned about cost of living. I see housing is affordable ( compared to where I am lol) but we need to get a idea on average salaries, across the board. What can you survive on? Live comfortable on? Is the economy good there, and year round? Is it a ghost town even for locals in winter time? Which schools are good? Will I feel like I know everyone's business after a year of living there lol? We are looking for a smaller town, more community, change of seasons, lighter commutes, friendly people and rich nature and history. Please ,if you can, give me your two,three or tens cents:
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 2,232,965 times
Definitely not a ghost town when the track shuts down. I spend 3 days there in February at an all-weekend music and dance festival. Lots of places to shop along the main drag.

Can't answer the rest of your questions because I live 20 miles south in Watervliet.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM

885 posts, read 910,993 times
Saratoga County is the fastest growing county in NYS.

Some IT jobs south of there in the Malta area. Your main area for jobs would probably Albany- about 35 miles south. depends what you are looking for.

The Saratoga Springs (SS) schools are very good. As are Shenendehowa schools, South of SS in Round Lake and south thru Clifton Park.

You really can't go wrong with any town from SS south to Ballston Spa, Malta, Clifton Park.

In SS you can get houses from the mid $100K that are on the outskirts to the millions. Most are probably in the $300K to $400K that are close to the main drag and in developments. property taxes depend on house but expect somewhere in $4- $5 range for that price.

It is a very vibrant city all year round- can be a mad-house with higher prices and crowds/ traffic with racing season. I lived about 15 miles East of SS and you just knew not to go there when the horse track is open.

There is lots of shopping and restaurants. Nice walkable main street. Nice parks with geysers, and cultural events. There is a mall, and 2 health food stores, several supermarkets, and nice bookstore, the hospital is great. (we still drive 2 hrs to use the hospital and doctors in SS).

Salary is based on what you can do. I would think to have some kind of life- shop in health food stores, eat out occasionally, etc you should make at least $70-$75K. But that's me. Some ppl live on a lot less.

Our current place is for sale and we plan to move back also. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 855,370 times
I like Saratoga, it's very nice. But, as a downstate transplant, can we please remember the boroughs of NYC are also counties and Saratoga has grown nowhere near as fast as Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and Manhattan. Not only have they grown faster, the population increase of Brooklyn and Queens was higher than the total population of Saratoga.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 PM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I like Saratoga, it's very nice. But, as a downstate transplant, can we please remember the boroughs of NYC are also counties and Saratoga has grown nowhere near as fast as Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and Manhattan. Not only have they grown faster, the population increase of Brooklyn and Queens was higher than the total population of Saratoga.
Actually, Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state, if not THE fastest growing county in the state: New York Population Growth Rate County Rank (this is since 2000 to 2014)

This may be what you are referring to: New York population numbers: Census shows which counties are growing, shrinking | NewYorkUpstate.com

So, over a longer period, Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

Halfmoon is the second fastest growing town in Upstate NY between 2010-2015: Saratoga County's Growth Rate Highest in the Area

Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Q44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state, if not THE fastest growing county in the state: New York Population Growth Rate County Rank (this is since 2000 to 2014)

This may be what you are referring to: New York population numbers: Census shows which counties are growing, shrinking | NewYorkUpstate.com

So, over a longer period, Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

Halfmoon is the second fastest growing town in Upstate NY between 2010-2015: Saratoga County's Growth Rate Highest in the Area

NYC Population: Current and Projected Populations

Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx saw population increases in the 4 to 5% range from 2010 to 2015. The increase in total population for Brooklyn and Queens was about 240,000 people. Saratoga County in that time frame saw the population grow by about 3% or about 6700 people for a 2015 total of 226,000 residents.

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...york-counties/

This report is more recent than the 2000-2014 numbers. 41 of 50 Upstate counties are losing people. NYC offsets the loss for the state. Saratoga went up but not nearly as much as downstate and 6 of the counties that border Saratoga lost people.

So ACTUALLY, Saratoga is not THE fastest growing county in the state. It is still a really nice place.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:05 AM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Quote:
NYC Population: Current and Projected Populations

Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx saw population increases in the 4 to 5% range from 2010 to 2015. The increase in total population for Brooklyn and Queens was about 240,000 people. Saratoga County in that time frame saw the population grow by about 3% or about 6700 people for a 2015 total of 226,000 residents.

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...york-counties/

This report is more recent than the 2000-2014 numbers. 41 of 50 Upstate counties are losing people. NYC offsets the loss for the state. Saratoga went up but not nearly as much as downstate and 6 of the counties that border Saratoga lost people.

So ACTUALLY, Saratoga is not THE fastest growing county in the state. It is still a really nice place.
It has had periods of being such, which may be what countrykaren is referring to and it depends on how you measure it. It also may depend on the estimates, as they were off last decade and at least the 2000-2014 period includes a couple of official counts.

With all of this said, Saratoga County is growing and it would be a good option for anyone.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-02-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 10:45 AM

885 posts, read 910,993 times
Gee, everyone may have chased away the OP. Nothing like getting off topic. The OP did not ask about NYC- yes many places in Brooklyn and parts of the Bronx are booming, but so are the real estate prices. Sorry I brought up he whole thing. OP- yes Saratoga just may be the place you are looking for. Highly recommend it.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM

5,177 posts, read 2,232,965 times
Quote:
Yeah, and NYC is a joke when the conversation turns to COL and affordable housing, whether renting or buying. Where in NYC can you find apartments with a decent-sized kitchen and bathroom and huge living room for less than $1,500-$2,000 or more??? In a safe, quiet neighborhood, with a landlord either on-site or within a reasonable distance (AKA non-absentee)?? I pay $685/month for a 1-bedroom 2nd floor flat, with my landlord living downstairs. The neighborhood is safe considering it is in a downtown urban area, and it is also quiet (no damn house parties with booming bass noise no matter how nice the weather is). Full-sized bathroom, kitchen, and the living room could be split in half to make two rooms. And I am less than 3 miles from my job, so I don't have to deal with rush hour on the highways like the yutzes driving into Albany.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Q44

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Gee, everyone may have chased away the OP. Nothing like getting off topic. The OP did not ask about NYC- yes many places in Brooklyn and parts of the Bronx are booming, but so are the real estate prices. Sorry I brought up he whole thing. OP- yes Saratoga just may be the place you are looking for. Highly recommend it.
Certainly wasn't my intention to scare off anyone. Third time I'm saying it, Saratoga Springs is very nice. I highly recommend it too. I've been there in the summertime for the track - really just to photograph the horses, and I've been there in the middle of winter for basketball and volleyball tournaments with my kids. SPAC is great. It's a wonderful gateway to the Adirondacks and Vt.

I'm a downstate transplant and my job is in Albany so I ruled out anything north of Albany from the start because of the traffic on the Northway - I wanted to leave the Long Island life behind. I work with a lot of people from Saratoga county, I'm very familiar with visiting in Clifton Park and I've been to Global Foundries a few times for work related visits.

My only issue all along was the hyperbole surrounding the county's growth. Many of the people I know who live in Saratoga are merely Albany and Schenectady transplants. They've moved up there for the schools and suburban life. They deal with rush hour. Not trying to nitpick but there's growth when people from the surrounding counties are moving there for the schools and houses. Then there's growth like NYC when people from around the country and world are moving in.

I work in Albany, live in the Hudson Valley, love the area, staying here in retirement. Lots of good things to say, just trying to put the growth issue in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area