U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 984 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've really enjoyed reading this forum and learning more about the region, and felt that it would be helpful to share our situation and gather more information to move forward best.

My girlfriend (late 20s) and I (early 30s) have decided that we would like to escape the busy, crowded city life of NYC and move up to the Albany region to find a higher quality of life. We'll both be saving money now with the goal to move in late Spring 2018.

Looking towards the future, we'll never be able to afford a nice house near NYC. We want to be in a place where after a few years of renting and saving, we can buy a home.

Over the past few years, we've found ourselves making many trips to the Albany area to visit friends that live locally, hiking/camping in the Adirondacks, days relaxing on lakes, seeing live music, and enjoying all the local food/beer/cider that the region offers. NYC isn't as appealing to us anymore and we want to live where we are happiest.

Careerwise - we both have different challenges moving upstate. My girlfriend works in event sales and will be looking to get a job in this industry. I've been working as a freelance television producer and will be leaving that life behind looking for a new opportunity/field that offers a better work/life balance and stability.

How is the 2017 job market in the Capital District for us finding jobs?
What career paths would be helpful to break into for someone changing jobs in the Capital District?

If you can spare a minute or two of your time - any information or guidance would be incredible to us.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM

134 posts, read 88,290 times
Your girlfriend should have little difficulty. Timing could be good with the opening of the new Capital Center, whether it be at the Cap Center or taking someone's position that vacated it for the Cap Center. As the state capital, the one thing Albany does not lack in, is "events". Her experience from NYC should also be very helpful for her, so I think she will be fine, and perhaps if you guys have a lot of money saved up, she can be a bit picky in what she takes.

As for you, it's tougher to say since you want to move to a new profession, and I don't know your skill set. There are opportunities out there. Capital Region job market is good for people who have advanced skills like you do, and if you're looking for something tech-themed, then I think you will be fine as well.

You didn't ask this, but based on your interests, I think Saratoga County is for you.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM

69,505 posts, read 96,350,860 times
For those looking for similar positions in event sales: Event Sales Jobs, Employment in Albany, NY | Indeed Mobile

Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,225,297 times
You guys ever find jobs and move upstate?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:55 PM

69,505 posts, read 96,350,860 times
Must be a “hit and run” post, as the OP last signed on a half hour after starting this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: