U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 25,419 times

Advertisements

10 would be great, but Id be happy with 5.

Thanks for the link.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM

13,419 posts, read 12,281,525 times
Places to consider for 10 acres for farming or whatever- Cambridge and Salem in Washington County. Washington County has a lot of small towns with decent schools. It's a rural county. Beautiful area!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 PM

^ Thanks for that.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:05 PM

65,805 posts, read 91,703,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal Z View Post
^ Thanks for that.
Just curious, but are you open to other parts of the state as well?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Im originally from the Dutchess and Orange County part of the state.
I would consider moving back to NY if it makes sense. My biggest issue with NY is taxes and that theyll tax my pension and IRAs, which is where my money is. I would take that compromise for a spot where more land is available with reasonable taxes. Ive also really gotten used to having open space of my own and Im not sure I can go back to being surrounded by people.

So rural, but not too rural. I would need is decent internet (as Im going to be looking into working from home) and access to a gym. I dont mind travelling a bit for shopping.
If the working from home thing doesnt work out, Id need to be able to do something for work. I dont need to make alot and even p/t might be enough... just something to do to bring a bit of extra income in.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Im originally from the Dutchess and Orange County part of the state.
I would consider moving back to NY if it makes sense. My biggest issue with NY is taxes and that theyll tax my pension and IRAs, which is where my money is. I would take that compromise for a spot where more land is available with reasonable taxes. Ive also really gotten used to having open space of my own and Im not sure I can go back to being surrounded by people.

So rural, but not too rural. I would need is decent internet (as Im going to be looking into working from home) and access to a gym. I dont mind travelling a bit for shopping.
If the working from home thing doesnt work out, Id need to be able to do something for work. I dont need to make alot and even p/t might be enough... just something to do to bring a bit of extra income in.
So, would you say that you are looking for a rural area within minutes of a substantial urbanized area?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 PM

45 minutes out would be fine.

But, looking up the gun carry permit laws.. I just wrote the Saratoga area off my list. Shame.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
45 minutes out would be fine.

But, looking up the gun carry permit laws.. I just wrote the Saratoga area off my list. Shame.
Why? Is there something there that is different than in other counties?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Yes. No restriction permit.

In Saratoga, id have to get a restricted permit, target and hunting only and have that for year before being given a unrestricted permit.. thats if I even qualify for a permit at all.

Reading the NY Firearms forum, seens theyre not so easy to get. I had a NYS permit for years.

Sorry, I just refuse to live in a palce where I have to jump through so many hoops for a constitutional right.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Yes. No restriction permit.

In Saratoga, id have to get a restricted permit, target and hunting only and have that for year before being given a unrestricted permit.. thats if I even qualify for a permit at all.

Reading the NY Firearms forum, seens theyre not so easy to get. I had a NYS permit for years.

Sorry, I just refuse to live in a palce where I have to jump through so many hoops for a constitutional right.
A lot of this has to likely do with Saratoga County's growth(it has been the 2nd fastest growing county in the state since 2000) and the high, diverse and generally urbanized population of NY State. So, there may be more of a consideration for these things as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area