U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM
 
Location: NY suburbs
175 posts, read 411,460 times
Reputation: 130

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to the Capital Region soon (mainly the area between Schenectady and Albany, Colonie, Latham, Guilderland, etc - preferably not as far as Saratoga Springs). I would like to know which areas/neighborhoods/streets in Albany, Schenectady, and the surrounding area are dangerous, and which places are safe to live in? I am not really a city person anyway, but a lot of housing is available in the cities. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
5,172 posts, read 2,230,540 times
Reputation: 9628
Off the top of my head - stay away from Lansingburgh (aka North Troy), Hamilton Hill, Mont Pleasant and the Vail neighborhoods in Sch'dy, and Arbor Hill in Albany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 02:31 PM
 
1,525 posts, read 1,105,671 times
Reputation: 2030
As far as Schenectady is concerned, the neighborhoods near Ellis Hospital are nice until you get towards Union College. Van Vranken Ave and down that way are not really desirable areas. The Stockade neighborhood is probably the best place to live in Schenectady. If you need to live close to Schenectady and don't want to take the 90 toll road every day to get to the city, definitely consider Scotia. It's just across the river and very safe. Lots of families. Mohawk Ave has everything you'll need.

Colonie, Latham, and Guilderland are great for the most part if you want something more suburban.

Neighborhoods in Albany that are safe and nice to live in include:

New Scotland
Whitehall - Basically just a lot of long-term, older residents. Mostly single family housing.
Buckingham Lake area

Downtown Troy has made lots of progress in recent years. It's actually a nice place to live if you don't mind lack of off-street parking. I have some friends who live on the east side of the city on Linden Ave.. Not too bad over there.

Delmar, just south of Albany is quick to downtown Albany and very safe. Kind of expensive though. It's much less urban.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 PM
 
65,486 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
As far as Schenectady is concerned, the neighborhoods near Ellis Hospital are nice until you get towards Union College. Van Vranken Ave and down that way are not really desirable areas. The Stockade neighborhood is probably the best place to live in Schenectady. If you need to live close to Schenectady and don't want to take the 90 toll road every day to get to the city, definitely consider Scotia. It's just across the river and very safe. Lots of families. Mohawk Ave has everything you'll need.

Colonie, Latham, and Guilderland are great for the most part if you want something more suburban.

Neighborhoods in Albany that are safe and nice to live in include:

New Scotland
Whitehall - Basically just a lot of long-term, older residents. Mostly single family housing.
Buckingham Lake area

Downtown Troy has made lots of progress in recent years. It's actually a nice place to live if you don't mind lack of off-street parking. I have some friends who live on the east side of the city on Linden Ave.. Not too bad over there.

Delmar, just south of Albany is quick to downtown Albany and very safe. Kind of expensive though. It's much less urban.
I'm surprised that Upper Union and Woodlawn weren't mentioned for nice parts of Schenectady. Same for the General Electric Realty Plot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 AM
 
1,525 posts, read 1,105,671 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that Upper Union and Woodlawn weren't mentioned for nice parts of Schenectady. Same for the General Electric Realty Plot.
Haven't really spent a whole lot of time in those sections. I was just naming areas I'm familiar with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM
 
30 posts, read 33,395 times
Reputation: 26
The main problems with crime are the tri-cities, Albany, Schenectady and Troy, but they have their good parts.
In Schenectady stay away from Hamilton Hill, Mont Pleasant, Central State St (State St is safe from the Crosstown on up - avoid State St from the Crosstown all the way down to Nott Terrace), the Vale Park neighborhood (Eastern Ave is safe from Elmer Ave on up, avoid lower Eastern Ave from Elmer Ave down to Nott Terrace) and Goose Hill (Van Vranken Ave/Foster Ave area).
Nice parts of Schenectady include Rosa Rd/Ellis Hospital area, Upper Union Street area, G.E. Reality Plot and Woodlawn.
It seems that Central Park is the dividing line in Schenectady, the north side of the park are the nice neighborhoods off Upper Union Street (Wright Ave, Woodlawn Ave, Lakewood Ave), while the south side of the park gets into the bad areas off of Central State St (Elm St, Robinson St, Western Pkwy).

In Albany, the bad areas to avoid are Arbor Hill and the southeast downtown area (south of Madison Ave and east of Swan St). Also beware of the areas along Madison Ave between St. Rose and UAlbany as that is known as the student ghetto, in which kids from both colleges reside and often hold large parties and get drunk (if anyone remembers the 2011 kegs and eggs party from UAlbany).

I am not familiar with Troy, so I have no idea what parts are ok. Amsterdam is a little better crime wise, just avoid the east end (along Rt. 5 , east of the mall). Amsterdam is just known for its large puerto-rican population and has little to offer.

The safest cities in the Capital Region are Saratoga and Glens Falls, they sometimes have problems like with drunks/bar fights on Caroline St in Saratoga or panhandlers along Broadway in Saratoga, but there are not gang ridden neighborhoods like the tri-cities. I feel safe walking around Saratoga or Glens Falls at night, anywhere in both cities, I would say.

The suburbs (Colonie, Latham, Guilderland, Niskayuna, Scotia/Glenville, Burnt Hills, Clifton Park, etc.)
are mostly nice areas and the best places to live.

Last edited by Mr. Pineapple; 10-03-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,966 posts, read 31,057,583 times
Reputation: 7619
This past weekend I used the Waze app to reach a location on New Scotland Ave in Albany. It brought us through a neighborhood which resembled a war torn area. Crumbling buildings, trash, and people hanging on the stoop and in the street, some people drinking 40s out of paper bags. These crowds were not college students. I am not sure if it was North Hill or Arbor Hill -- I think it was North Hill because it was north of 9.

I would strongly advise against looking there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM
 
1,525 posts, read 1,105,671 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This past weekend I used the Waze app to reach a location on New Scotland Ave in Albany. It brought us through a neighborhood which resembled a war torn area. Crumbling buildings, trash, and people hanging on the stoop and in the street, some people drinking 40s out of paper bags. These crowds were not college students. I am not sure if it was North Hill or Arbor Hill -- I think it was North Hill because it was north of 9.

I would strongly advise against looking there!
North of 9? Hmmm...not sure exactly what area you're referring to, but it sounds like either Arbor Hill or the South End, although the South End doesn't sound like where you were. Unfortunately what you described is fairly common in the neighborhoods on the east side of Albany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 10:38 AM
 
65,486 posts, read 91,284,819 times
Reputation: 14330
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This past weekend I used the Waze app to reach a location on New Scotland Ave in Albany. It brought us through a neighborhood which resembled a war torn area. Crumbling buildings, trash, and people hanging on the stoop and in the street, some people drinking 40s out of paper bags. These crowds were not college students. I am not sure if it was North Hill or Arbor Hill -- I think it was North Hill because it was north of 9.

I would strongly advise against looking there!
Maybe West Hill? I believe that parts closer to Arbor Hill can be rough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,966 posts, read 31,057,583 times
Reputation: 7619
It was the pocket between Livingston and Clinton; numbered streets and named cross streets. When we came out on Clinton we took that up to North Lake and then across to New Scotland. The pocket between Route 9, Livingston and Clinton was pretty rough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top