Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,656,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Thank you everyone

Currently torn between renting a nice apartment or buying my first home . So many gorgeous apartments going up all
Over the area

How is the averill park area ? And the hills out behind Troy
Heading towards mass ? Love the scenary
Just make sure you know what the property taxes are before you buy. There are pockets of areas with cheaper property taxes, but in general, they're horrendous compared to the rest of the country. I imagine ckhthankgod has some data on where the cheapest places are. I think I've seen him post it in other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:44 PM

312 posts, read 351,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Thank you everyone

Currently torn between renting a nice apartment or buying my first home . So many gorgeous apartments going up all
Over the area
Renting an apartment in an area you THINK you might want to live is a relatively inexpensive way to figure out if you DO want to live there. Buying can be an expensive mistake with hidden costs you don't always anticipate (agent fees, closing costs, repairs, etc.). Do some research and pick the place you most think you might want to live and then sign a one year lease. You'll know in a year (probably sooner) if the area's for you or not.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:21 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,583,418 times
https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tax-calculator

This website lists recently sold homes, you can change the town and get an idea of costs, taxes, etc.
https://www.realtor.com/soldhomepric...oga-Springs_NY

Old 10-07-2017, 07:33 AM

92,058 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Just to supplement the good information in Ellwood’s post, this property tax calculator may be a little more specific if you find something in a village: Compare property tax rates in every city, town, village, county, school district in New York state | NewYorkUpstate.com

I only say that because some home listings may just use the town even if it is in a village or a town may have different rate depending upon the school district.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to supplement the good information in Ellwood’s post, this property tax calculator may be a little more specific if you find something in a village: Compare property tax rates in every city, town, village, county, school district in New York state | NewYorkUpstate.com

I only say that because some home listings may just use the town even if it is in a village or a town may have different rate depending upon the school district.
Good point ckhthankgod. Although we are in Saratoga County, the rates vary tremendously and the town taxes are different from ours outside of town.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 PM

92,058 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Good point ckhthankgod. Although we are in Saratoga County, the rates vary tremendously and the town taxes are different from ours outside of town.
Yes, some towns may also have an industry that helps in regards to taxes and some services may be consolidated or covered by the town or county within a village. So, it depends on who covers services too.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 AM

There are also exemptions if you are eligible.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exemption/index.htm

Old 11-29-2017, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,619 times
I rented in Saratoga for 6 years, recently bought a house in South Glens Falls. I don't regret this as a financial decision one bit, however if you are looking for the niceties of Saratoga you will not find them in South Glens Falls, Gansvoort, Greenfield, etc...South Glens Falls has some of the lowest taxes in the area if you're looking to buy.

I would suggest considering Malta and Ballston Spa also.

Glens Falls seems to be on the up and there is affordable housing to buy or rent there. The taxes are brutal though.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,656,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwass View Post
I rented in Saratoga for 6 years, recently bought a house in South Glens Falls. I don't regret this as a financial decision one bit, however if you are looking for the niceties of Saratoga you will not find them in South Glens Falls, Gansvoort, Greenfield, etc...South Glens Falls has some of the lowest taxes in the area if you're looking to buy.

I would suggest considering Malta and Ballston Spa also.

Glens Falls seems to be on the up and there is affordable housing to buy or rent there. The taxes are brutal though.
I think SGF is a good deal if you're looking to buy your own place. Like you said, low taxes and the proximity to Glens Falls is great. They've made tons of progress renewing their downtown. I was amazed last summer at how nice it was to walk around there and see everyone at the restaurants and bars out and about.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:39 PM

373 posts, read 345,855 times
So would I just look up south Glenns falls on home buying sites ? I feel like it's broad and would couple it in with regular Glenn's falls and Saratoga . I don't know that area enough to determine what is south Glenn's falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area