U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM

373 posts, read 272,081 times

Advertisements

I've reside down in colonie area my entire life , I've researched countless other cities to relocate to but I just can't bring myself to leave upstate ny. I would love to move to the Saratoga area however . But I know that is along the most expensive areas to live now .

Where are the affordable pockets of Saratoga ?

And what suburbs ? Is Malta , ballston spa abd Stillwater cheaper than Albany ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 03:35 PM

65,869 posts, read 91,747,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
I've reside down in colonie area my entire life , I've researched countless other cities to relocate to but I just can't bring myself to leave upstate ny. I would love to move to the Saratoga area however . But I know that is along the most expensive areas to live now .

Where are the affordable pockets of Saratoga ?

And what suburbs ? Is Malta , ballston spa abd Stillwater cheaper than Albany ?
What about South Glens Falls?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about South Glens Falls?

That would work too .

Just worried about a commute to the airport for work . I90 gets rediculous

Old 09-30-2017, 02:47 AM

138 posts, read 240,533 times
Saratoga is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. The crime rate is going up and they have a pretty bad homeless problem. I live in Glens Falls, NY. We started having a homeless problem here but there is now help for people here who are homeless. I know they have code blue shelters in Saratoga but I don't think they have any services there (I could be wrong on this point) otherwise you wouldn't see so many loitering around on the streets panhandling.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 AM

6,369 posts, read 14,184,991 times
There are outlying areas in Saratoga County (Schuylerville (Quaker Springs area), Ganesvoort, Malta. AFA commute to the airport, there are various routes without going on the Northway.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,119,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
That would work too .

Just worried about a commute to the airport for work . I90 gets rediculous
You wouldn't have to take 90 to get from South Glens Falls to the airport.

Malta is nice from what I hear but on the pricier side. All those new developments up there are quite expensive in my opinion. I personally don't like to drive a lot. I'd check out certain neighborhoods in Albany before I moved to South Glens Falls if I'm commuting to the airport every day. You could check out the following neighborhoods that are generally safe: New Scotland, Whitehall, Helderberg, even some parts of Delaware Ave aren't really that bad.

You could also check out Clifton Park. Some of those apartments will run you $900+, but they're generally pretty nice. Colonie is pretty pricey (I lived there a couple years ago.)

Maybe check out Ballston Spa?

Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
You wouldn't have to take 90 to get from South Glens Falls to the airport.

Malta is nice from what I hear but on the pricier side. All those new developments up there are quite expensive in my opinion. I personally don't like to drive a lot. I'd check out certain neighborhoods in Albany before I moved to South Glens Falls if I'm commuting to the airport every day. You could check out the following neighborhoods that are generally safe: New Scotland, Whitehall, Helderberg, even some parts of Delaware Ave aren't really that bad.

You could also check out Clifton Park. Some of those apartments will run you $900+, but they're generally pretty nice. Colonie is pretty pricey (I lived there a couple years ago.)

Maybe check out Ballston Spa?
What about parts of Guilderland or Colonie in the South Colonie SD?

A sleeper in terms of a city neighborhood may be Schenectady's Woodlawn neighborhood in the southern end of the city: https://www.woodlawnneighborhood.org

https://dailygazette.com/article/201.../0704_woodlawn

Census Tract 021800 in Schenectady County, New York
Census Block Group 021700-2 in Schenectady County, New York
Census Block Group 021700-3 in Schenectady County, New York
Census Block Group 020700-2 in Schenectady County, New York

This site has a map of neighborhoods in that city(Union Street, particularly Upper Union closer to Niskayuna may also work): Schenectady 2020

upperunionstreet.com • Home
Census Tract 020500 in Schenectady County, New York
Census Tract 020600 in Schenectady County, New York

So, it appears that both of these city neighborhoods are generally middle class. Both are about a 15 minute drive, give or take, from the airport as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-02-2017 at 01:44 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,119,163 times
@ckhthankgod - Those areas are definitely good, but the person who created this thread seems to be looking for more affordable places to live. I don't know much about the Woodlawn neighborhood, but most of Colonie and Guilderland do have pretty high rent. Niskayuna does too.

Can't really escape high cost of living these days it seems. I'd rather pay slightly more to live near my job than to have a couple hundred bucks off rent each month but have an hour long commute.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
@ckhthankgod - Those areas are definitely good, but the person who created this thread seems to be looking for more affordable places to live. I don't know much about the Woodlawn neighborhood, but most of Colonie and Guilderland do have pretty high rent. Niskayuna does too.

Can't really escape high cost of living these days it seems. I'd rather pay slightly more to live near my job than to have a couple hundred bucks off rent each month but have an hour long commute.
I thought that parts of the South Colonie area was more affordable than North Colonie, but both may be in demand due to the general location of the town.

Perhaps a nicer part of places like Cohoes or Watervliet, as well as Menands may be worth a look.

This may help in regards to rentals: 2017 Complete Renters Guide for Albany Apartment Rentals

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-02-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 01:00 AM

Thank you everyone

Currently torn between renting a nice apartment or buying my first home . So many gorgeous apartments going up all
Over the area

How is the averill park area ? And the hills out behind Troy
Heading towards mass ? Love the scenary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area