U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,222,484 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what Albany area locals enjoyed doing during the winter months growing up.

I remember growing up visiting the Christmas displays in Amsterdam and Albany (Washington Park). We went tubing somewhere near Lake George or somewhere up that way. I think a few times we visited Burlington or Bennington, VT when the snow wasn't coming down too hard. We had family out in Western NY we would visit for Christmas and I always remember my sister and I requesting white hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts to help us get through the long drive lol.

As an adult, tubing is still fun. Can't really get into the Christmas displays much anymore. Last time I was there, it seemed like it was Christmas versions of local company logos? CDTA sticks out in my memory. Haven't been back to VT in over 10 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 2,548,263 times
When Schenectady's CHRISTMAS (not "Holiday") parade was held the day after Thanksgiving. I marched in that parade from 1986 to 1998.

The Christmas decor in Mohawk Mall, including the carousel. I used to BEG for rides on it. Always went to see Santa as well. Miss that place.

Listening to Don Weeks reading off the school closings on WGY. My brothers and I had to wait because we were in Schenectady County, and then we had to listen for "Schenectady City Schools." When we heard him say "... in Saratoga County" we would start telling each other to shut up because we were next.

Literally driving "over the river and through the woods" to see grandparents living in West Stephentown and Round Top at Christmas. We went to my dad's parents house on December 26, and there was always extended family there.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When Schenectady's CHRISTMAS (not "Holiday") parade was held the day after Thanksgiving. I marched in that parade from 1986 to 1998.

The Christmas decor in Mohawk Mall, including the carousel. I used to BEG for rides on it. Always went to see Santa as well. Miss that place.

Listening to Don Weeks reading off the school closings on WGY. My brothers and I had to wait because we were in Schenectady County, and then we had to listen for "Schenectady City Schools." When we heard him say "... in Saratoga County" we would start telling each other to shut up because we were next.

Literally driving "over the river and through the woods" to see grandparents living in West Stephentown and Round Top at Christmas. We went to my dad's parents house on December 26, and there was always extended family there.
I love it! We'd visit my grandparents over in the middle of no where part of Western NY too on Dec. 26. Always the best part of Christmas as a kid.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 3,826 times
Shoveling snow, snowblowing snow, skiing. Performing the first two tasks to be able to afford to do the third. Good times.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 AM

Don't have to dream of a white Christmas this morning. We're in the middle of one right now!

Old 12-26-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Don't have to dream of a white Christmas this morning. We're in the middle of one right now!
My parents said they got quite a few inches up there. I don't miss shoveling my car out of the snow in Albany one bit!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:06 PM

76 posts, read 119,275 times
This is from the most recent snowfall.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Spent part of yesterday in Queensbury at the high school Nordic 3 x 3km relays, because my oldest nephew was skiing for Saranac Lake (his team finished 3rd). 7 degrees by the time we left to meet my parents at the Halfmoon Diner.

And now I think I want to try Nordic skiing, despite never having been on skis before.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 AM

@Conteacher: where do you live? Beautiful picture.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 AM

76 posts, read 119,275 times
Near a town called Granville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area