U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 464 times

Advertisements

I am the only living relative of my uncle who lives in a nursing home. The last time I visited him, something was not right. I suspect that he is being abused and neglected. I would like to know what actions are considered as abuse in a nursing home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,127,143 times
What wasn't right about your last visit?

My grandfather is in a nursing home and the best thing to do is to find a point of contact at the home who you can call and get weekly updates from. Ask about how your loved one is doing, if he's eating 3 meals a day, if he's feeling well and looking good. Staff is much less likely to abuse a resident who they know has a family who is watching over them.

If possible, visit them as frequently as you can. It's obviously difficult if you live out of state, but it's worth it for their well-being. Again, staff that sees a resident physically surrounded by family, is much less likely to abuse the resident.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:16 PM

885 posts, read 921,090 times
I use to be a state nursing home inspector. Now retired.

If something isn't right call your state regulation department, or state ombudsman department- NOT county. Must be state.

For example, in NY it is the NY State Department of Health.

You can make an anonymous complaint but then you won't know the outcome. Give your name and as much info as you can, plus your name and address. This way they can get back to you with the outcome. They can not tell the facility, who made the complaint. You should be able to find a number in the phone book, in the "blue pages" or where state agencies and numbers are listed. If who you call says they don't take complaints. Keep asking for numbers until you get the correct agency.

Also while at the facility visiting, you can check their yearly survey report for any problems they had in the past year. The facility MUST post their survey report. Ask for it if you can't find it- altho you shouldn't have to ask. It is usually in the foyer/ entrance of the facility. It will give you an idea of past problems and how they are suppose to fix those problems so that they do not recur. You may also be able to see a heading with the regulating agency listed, and possibly a phone number.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,127,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I use to be a state nursing home inspector. Now retired.

If something isn't right call your state regulation department, or state ombudsman department- NOT county. Must be state.

For example, in NY it is the NY State Department of Health.

You can make an anonymous complaint but then you won't know the outcome. Give your name and as much info as you can, plus your name and address. This way they can get back to you with the outcome. They can not tell the facility, who made the complaint. You should be able to find a number in the phone book, in the "blue pages" or where state agencies and numbers are listed. If who you call says they don't take complaints. Keep asking for numbers until you get the correct agency.

Also while at the facility visiting, you can check their yearly survey report for any problems they had in the past year. The facility MUST post their survey report. Ask for it if you can't find it- altho you shouldn't have to ask. It is usually in the foyer/ entrance of the facility. It will give you an idea of past problems and how they are suppose to fix those problems so that they do not recur. You may also be able to see a heading with the regulating agency listed, and possibly a phone number.

Good luck.
This is some great information. Thanks for sharing. I never knew that about the survey report. I'll need to check it at my grandfather's facility next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area