U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 3,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am considering a move to New York. I have a 12-year-old son who has severe Autism with behavioral issues. I'm looking at the Albany area or Hudson. What can you guys tell me about these areas? Are there any center-based services / day programs that do ABA, practice life skills, do community outings in those areas? How about respite and autism waivers? Is it easy or difficult working with county caseworkers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,737 times
The first step is to go through the front door process, which is done through the state agency, OPWDD. They will review his current evals and determine if he needs any additional testing. With all completed paperwork, they will determine if he meets their eligibility for waiver services in NYS. If he does, they will provide you guidance on obtaining a Medicaid service coordinator to discuss local options. Depending on his level of need, I suggest immediately discussing the self direction program with your service coordinator, which would allow you a state funded employee to support his needs (similar to respite, but you hire, train and maintain the employee and they are paid at a much higher rate) as additional funding support for his areas of interest.

I am relocating to the Albany area in the near future. I am currently a social worker for the state's largest school based Aba program. I am not familiar with Albany's offerings (other than a program called wildwood) but would be happy to answer any general resource questions about qualifying for services, either in the public forum, or if you want to PM me.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 384 times
Default relocating to NY from CA

I am also considering relocating to NY
would like some advice on where to start finding a right place to begin.
before all that though, in general, how are the services compared NY and NJ?

I have a daughter 14 with ASD
My husband needs to commute to NYC and also have a highschooler NT son.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:47 AM

69,408 posts, read 96,197,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhnyoung View Post
I am also considering relocating to NY
would like some advice on where to start finding a right place to begin.
before all that though, in general, how are the services compared NY and NJ?

I have a daughter 14 with ASD
My husband needs to commute to NYC and also have a highschooler NT son.
I would start a new thread, but I believe that Ardsley in Westchester County has good special education support programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area