U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,299 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our two elementary age kids are relocating over the summer from NYC. We're coming up in March for a weekend w/out the kids to see if we can decide on a neighborhood. I've been following these threads and there are so many good school districts that I've made little headway.

Any suggestions for getting a good feel for a neighborhood? Especially on a weekend, which isn't necessarily how a neighborhood will feel during the week? We're looking at all the usual suspects: Niskayuna, Colonie, Latham, Guilderland, Delmar, Bethlehem.

I'm not planning on working right away and my husband's commute isn't during rush hour, so that's not a consideration.

I think we'd like to ideally rent a house, to make sure we like a neighborhood before buying - is there any area where that might be easier? Or a good resource for house rental listings other than Craigslist, which seems sketchy and geared for college kids?

It feels to me like there are so many nice choices - I'm overwhelmed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM

66,239 posts, read 92,096,989 times
You could search here: https://www.howardhanna.com/Homes/New-York

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,128,963 times
Niskayuna is a nice suburb with very high property taxes and home values. The kids that come out of that school system are the ones who get BMWs for their 16th birthday. I like the area near Ellis Hospital on the border of Nisky and Schenectady.

I lived off of Central Ave in Colonie for a year and it was nice. Not too much sketchiness. Overall a pretty quiet suburb. Easy access into Albany and Schenectady depending on which end you live in. The neighborhoods around the middle/high schools are nice and family friendly.

Latham is desirable for families. Can't say anything negative about it.

Guilderland, Delmar, and Bethlehem also very good school systems. Also easy access into Albany if that's where your husband works.

They're all kind of the same feel really. In terms of convenience to restaurants, shops, and all of that, Colonie is probably your best bet simply because of Central Ave.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,299 times
Default Thanks

I had already found Hanna Homes, though they don't seem to have much about rentals on their site. I've sent them an email and will follow up in person.

My guess is that we want to be more urban than rural. Hoping that will hope us narrow down this list.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj35 View Post
I had already found Hanna Homes, though they don't seem to have much about rentals on their site. I've sent them an email and will follow up in person.

My guess is that we want to be more urban than rural. Hoping that will hope us narrow down this list.
That pretty much eliminates Guilderland and Bethlehem.

Parts of Colonie are considered pretty urban but nothing crazy. Delmar has a cute little four corners type of downtown area and it's very close to downtown Albany if you're looking for actual urban.

Niskayuna isn't that urban but if you live towards the Schenectady part, that puts you toward more urban areas.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 PM

66,239 posts, read 92,096,989 times
Maybe Scotia and Ballston Spa could be options, with Scotia being the better of the 2 due to proximity to Schenectady. Ballston Spa isn’t that far from Saratoga Springs though.

Maybe parts of Watervliet and maybe Rensselaer for more urban and decent/solid schools. Not sure if Menands would have anything, but it wouldn’t hurt to look.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Scotia and Ballston Spa could be options, with Scotia being the better of the 2 due to proximity to Schenectady. Ballston Spa isn’t that far from Saratoga Springs though.

Maybe parts of Watervliet and maybe Rensselaer for more urban and decent/solid schools. Not sure if Menands would have anything, but it wouldn’t hurt to look.
Scotia is a good option. Love that community. Fairly walkable given how small it is.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 879 times
Clifton Park is nice and close to everything. I’m putting our 3 bedroom/ 2 bath with inground pool up for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area