U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 PM
 
66,246 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Reputation: 14489

Advertisements

While looking for something else, I came across this article: https://m.timesunion.com/news/articl...h-11820279.php

Original source: http://www.apta.com/members/memberpr...m_10-06-17.pdf


What do you think about this accolade given to CDTA?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-22-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 AM
 
66,246 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Reputation: 14489
Given the urban fabric of the cities and the steady growth in the area, do you think that this award/acknowledgment of the local public transportation will make the area more appealing to those looking for an urban environment with walkability?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 AM
 
1,529 posts, read 1,129,498 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given the urban fabric of the cities and the steady growth in the area, do you think that this award/acknowledgment of the local public transportation will make the area more appealing to those looking for an urban environment with walkability?
I doubt it. Although to be fair, the new CDTA buses are really nice and spacious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 AM
 
66,246 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I doubt it. Although to be fair, the new CDTA buses are really nice and spacious.
Just curious, but why do say that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 01:10 PM
 
1,529 posts, read 1,129,498 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but why do say that?
Most people who live in Albany who don't use CDTA associate it with being full of lower class people, which unfortunately makes it less desirable. Plenty of terrible press about fights on CDTA buses too. Check YouTube lol. I just don't see it being something that's going to attract people to the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 PM
 
66,246 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Most people who live in Albany who don't use CDTA associate it with being full of lower class people, which unfortunately makes it less desirable. Plenty of terrible press about fights on CDTA buses too. Check YouTube lol. I just don't see it being something that's going to attract people to the area.
Got it and I see what you mean...Yeah, I wouldn’t say that CDTA by itself would attract people(lol), but an area with some nice core neighborhoods with walkability, a solid public transportation system and a steadily growing area is what I was thinking of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 PM
 
1,529 posts, read 1,129,498 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Got it and I see what you mean...Yeah, I wouldn’t say that CDTA by itself would attract people(lol), but an area with some nice core neighborhoods with walkability, a solid public transportation system and a steadily growing area is what I was thinking of.
There just isn't enough good press about upstate NY as a whole even though it's larger cities are very walkable and friendly for those who use public transportation. I think even Amsterdam has a bus system.

Unfortunately the only time you ever hear of an upstate city is when someone is discussing its miserable economy and population loss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 PM
 
1,329 posts, read 1,321,450 times
Reputation: 2111
I just saw a billboard along I-90 stating that about CDTA and I immediately thought that declaration was/is highly subjective and an advertising ploy of the bus company. CDTA could be a great transit system if they policed or did not tolerate unacceptable behavior from some of their riders. The Bus Plus routes are better because there isn't so much stop and go. I recently gave it a fair shot, riding for a solid week in order to determine if leaving my car at a park n ride was worth it. The main corridor of Central Ave / State St. gets the brunt of the bad behavior, as do some of the routes along Washington Ave. It's unfair in many respects, because it only takes a few bad apples to cement a bad reputation. My friend rode the bus from the Schenectady/Colonie line into downtown Albany for 13 years and for the most part, rode without incident. But for the times that were memorable for the wrong reasons, it was enough to taint the entire experience. Examples - admittedly some were isolated, but others were not - included youth acting in a gang mentality and intimidating passengers, laughing about it, while the driver did nothing. In fairness, short of calling police and pulling over, what can he/she really do? Waiting for a bus only to be passed by because the bus is full; a bus repeatedly off schedule. A drug deal going down in plain sight, again nothing done because of fear. Waiting inside the covered shelter and moving to the elements because the inside of the shelter is disgustingly filthy. One time a female waiting for the bus appeared to be a hooker, and decided (at 7am, when her shift apparently ended), that she had to pee, but didn't want to miss the bus, so she walked behind the shelter and took a squat in full view of everyone else waiting. Drug use (not just smoking pot, which would probably be ignored) going on & then leaving the needles behind - that one was filmed & made it on the news.

My trial week was tamer - mostly schedule/crowded issues - but I decided to find another way to curb the budget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 AM
 
66,246 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Reputation: 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I just saw a billboard along I-90 stating that about CDTA and I immediately thought that declaration was/is highly subjective and an advertising ploy of the bus company. CDTA could be a great transit system if they policed or did not tolerate unacceptable behavior from some of their riders. The Bus Plus routes are better because there isn't so much stop and go. I recently gave it a fair shot, riding for a solid week in order to determine if leaving my car at a park n ride was worth it. The main corridor of Central Ave / State St. gets the brunt of the bad behavior, as do some of the routes along Washington Ave. It's unfair in many respects, because it only takes a few bad apples to cement a bad reputation. My friend rode the bus from the Schenectady/Colonie line into downtown Albany for 13 years and for the most part, rode without incident. But for the times that were memorable for the wrong reasons, it was enough to taint the entire experience. Examples - admittedly some were isolated, but others were not - included youth acting in a gang mentality and intimidating passengers, laughing about it, while the driver did nothing. In fairness, short of calling police and pulling over, what can he/she really do? Waiting for a bus only to be passed by because the bus is full; a bus repeatedly off schedule. A drug deal going down in plain sight, again nothing done because of fear. Waiting inside the covered shelter and moving to the elements because the inside of the shelter is disgustingly filthy. One time a female waiting for the bus appeared to be a hooker, and decided (at 7am, when her shift apparently ended), that she had to pee, but didn't want to miss the bus, so she walked behind the shelter and took a squat in full view of everyone else waiting. Drug use (not just smoking pot, which would probably be ignored) going on & then leaving the needles behind - that one was filmed & made it on the news.

My trial week was tamer - mostly schedule/crowded issues - but I decided to find another way to curb the budget.
This declaration actually came from the American Public Transportation Association, not from CDTA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 AM
 
1,329 posts, read 1,321,450 times
Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This declaration actually came from the American Public Transportation Association, not from CDTA.
Thanks for that clarification ckhthankgod, though I still have to wonder how they come to that conclusion. By the number of complaints & compliments each transit authority receives? I doubt many riders are reaching out to the APTA with feedback, pro or con. I think it's human nature that most consumers stay silent either way and only a small segment speak up. Just a thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top