Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,542 times

Advertisements

My sister is currently renting in Rensselaer, NY. She is employed by NYS in Albany and looking to buy a home close to work. She found a house she adores in Rensselaer. It has enough room for herself, her 2 little girls and our mother who cares for them plus it's in her price range. Her biggest concern is the school district. Her oldest is currently a kindergartner in the Van Rensselaer elementary school which will be her zoned school and she's not hearing good things. I'm looking to see if anyone has any advice to offer. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Is she open to private or charter schools? Van Rensselaer is the only elementary school in the Rensselaer City SD.

Also, what is her price range? That would help determine where to look.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 PM

Not if it's an additional out of pocket expense. She's recently widowed and has to start over, her income is limited. She's been pre-approved for a mortgage of $240,000. She needs the additional space for our mom but she's stressing about the school situation. How would she find out about a charter school?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsap128 View Post
Not if it's an additional out of pocket expense. She's recently widowed and has to start over, her income is limited. She's been pre-approved for a mortgage of $240,000. She needs the additional space for our mom but she's stressing about the school situation. How would she find out about a charter school?
There are charter schools in Albany and Troy. Here is one from the latter city: https://www.greatschools.org/new-yor...harter-School/
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360099206119
Our Schools | Troy Prep | Free, Public Charter School | Troy, New York
Troy Prep a charter school success story

In terms of privates, there could be financial aid available to help reduce, if not essentially eliminate tuition. Here is an example of what I am referring to and this school is in Rensselaer, by the way: https://www.doanestuart.org/admissions/financial-aid/

So, I would suggest to encourage your to do her research, as there are things out there that many people do not consider, but could be a legitimate option that could help them.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 PM

I definitely will. Thank you so much.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsap128 View Post
I definitely will. Thank you so much.
No problem...Private schools like the Taylor School in Troy and Albany Academy are a couple of other nonsectarian schools I would suggest to inquire about about in terms of financial aid offers.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Another thing to consider is to look into similar communities like Watervliet or Cohoes, as well as underrated places like Menands or parts of the South Colonie SD, with the latter 2 being solid/good school districts that are just outside of Albany.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Not sure if your sister is looking to spend the entire $240K she's been approved for but I just looked on Zillow and there are definitely 3BR and a few 4BR homes available in East Greenbush for that price and less. In return you're only 5 minutes further south and east of Rensselaer with an easy commute to Albany. The East Greenbush schools are in the top 10 in the Capital District (out of 85 towns). We rented in EG when we first came up here while our house was being built. I work at the Albany Plaza and my commute to and from EG was 12 minutes. You also have an excellent library and the EG YMCA for kids activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area