U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM

69,717 posts, read 96,526,310 times

Advertisements

Here is a guide of such neighborhoods in the area from the Albany Business Review: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...-and-play.html

Are there some other neighborhoods that could have been included?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,233,553 times
Yeah can't beat Center Square although downtown Troy is a close almost equivalent.

Berben and Wolff's is alright. Friendly staff but the food was eh in my opinion. Maybe because I don't like fake bacon lol.

I would move to the Stockade if it didn't flood every year lol.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,233,553 times
Another quick thought: this article highlights a lot of why I think the Capital Region is a huge gem in the Northeast. You get the old architecture, proximity to Boston/NYC, walkable neighborhoods, and overall general safety. A lot of the smaller towns surrounding it feel like small town New England in many ways.

I think that people who enjoy the lifestyle of the northeast but don't want the cost of living that comes with it, the Capital Region is the best go to. Property prices are nothing compared to what you'd pay in other large nearby cities.

Because a lot of areas of the Capital Region cities are run down, it offers a blank slate to create exactly what you want.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Another quick thought: this article highlights a lot of why I think the Capital Region is a huge gem in the Northeast. You get the old architecture, proximity to Boston/NYC, walkable neighborhoods, and overall general safety. A lot of the smaller towns surrounding it feel like small town New England in many ways.

I think that people who enjoy the lifestyle of the northeast but don't want the cost of living that comes with it, the Capital Region is the best go to. Property prices are nothing compared to what you'd pay in other large nearby cities.

Because a lot of areas of the Capital Region cities are run down, it offers a blank slate to create exactly what you want.
Another thing the article highlights is that there is work already being done within these cities and that there are multiple areas to choose from in the area considering it size.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM

I know that it isn’t in the metro area, but Hudson is still pretty close and has its own scene. https://visithudsonny.com

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/3...-new-york.html

Hudson, New York | CN Traveller

Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM

I'm somewhat surprised that the Union Street corridor of Schenectady wasn't mentioned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area