U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

Just want some advice of where to live in the area. Any other advice would be helpful, costs, things to do, etc. It will be me and my husband. Neither of us has lived in the east, we are from California and have been living in Austin Texas for 13 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 7,970,533 times
Wow, are you ready for a big culture and weather shock, not to mention NY state taxes!

Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,236,245 times
I feel so sorry for you.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:44 PM

69,831 posts, read 96,633,764 times
What are you looking for in terms of a neighborhood, OP?

It is a more compact, but multimodal area. So, that is one thing to consider.

You are also only a couple of hours or so from Boston and NYC. So, you can get to a major area within a reasonable drive/ride. Same for mountains, but even shorter in that regard.

It also is a big enough area to where it has its own scene(s).

Also, overall cost of living is around/a little above the national average, actually. So, given Austin’s grown, which has increased its COL, you are looking at roughly the same in that regard. You just get hit in different ways.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 PM

373 posts, read 285,252 times
In terms of outdoor rec you will have everything here that California has except ocean in the city limits . There are mountains forests and water in every direction . Spring and fall are close to SoCal weather . Summer is normally mild and dry with a few weeks a summer of high humidity + temps . Winter is going to be a very tough adjustment for you guys .

Where to live depends on where you guys will be working and are looking for ; considering you were in California and then Austin I take it you both have high incomes so price most likely won’t be an issue for you guys . Maybe check out niskayuna or Guilderland or Saratoga springs is a very young active crowd . Tons of restaurants bars and shops and things to do in Saratoga . Hot spot all summer long for the track season and concerts

Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM

5,627 posts, read 2,573,717 times
Hope you enjoy winter weather. It's 41 degrees outside today in Menands, which is the next town north of Albany. Supposed to be 32 tonight through Saturday night, and 31 Sunday night. We might hit the 50's and maybe 60's this weekend and next week. I'm still wearing gloves and fleece jackets to go out places when I should be in T-shirts.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM

95 posts, read 104,820 times
We are from northern NJ and moved to the Albany area in 2006 and lasted until 2012. We hated it. The winters weather is beyond miserable and is incredibly dismal and gray for 6 months out of the year.
The tri-cities (Albany, Schenectady, and Troy) are all run down, depressing rust belts cities that show very little signs of investment or ever coming back. The people in general are cold and not friendly and are generally beat-up looking as one visitor of ours described them. The economy and job market is limited and there is very little affluence there which you will notice as you drive around the area. Very few decent restaurants which is another sign. The schools were unimpressive at best and we were constantly amazed at how many if our kid's teachers used improper English.

Upstate NY has been in a decades long decline and every county in upstate NY has been losing people for decades with the exception of Saratoga County and one other county in the albany area. Take a short drive to just outside of the albany area and you are in a 3rd world county, it's a shocking and scary economic wasteland. Drive on the NY State Thruway from Albany to Buffalo and all you see is one bleak, run down, economically depressed town and city after another fr hours on end. I knew it wasn't good up there but I had no idea how bad it really was.

Hate to be so negative but I'm just telling you how it is. You will discover all of these things for yourself in time so you might as well be prepared for them. We went there with very high hopes but were incredibly disappointed and thankful to have been able to move back to NJ before our kids got too old.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
We are from northern NJ and moved to the Albany area in 2006 and lasted until 2012. We hated it. The winters weather is beyond miserable and is incredibly dismal and gray for 6 months out of the year.
The tri-cities (Albany, Schenectady, and Troy) are all run down, depressing rust belts cities that show very little signs of investment or ever coming back. The people in general are cold and not friendly and are generally beat-up looking as one visitor of ours described them. The economy and job market is limited and there is very little affluence there which you will notice as you drive around the area. Very few decent restaurants which is another sign. The schools were unimpressive at best and we were constantly amazed at how many if our kid's teachers used improper English.

Upstate NY has been in a decades long decline and every county in upstate NY has been losing people for decades with the exception of Saratoga County and one other county in the albany area. Take a short drive to just outside of the albany area and you are in a 3rd world county, it's a shocking and scary economic wasteland. Drive on the NY State Thruway from Albany to Buffalo and all you see is one bleak, run down, economically depressed town and city after another fr hours on end. I knew it wasn't good up there but I had no idea how bad it really was.

Hate to be so negative but I'm just telling you how it is. You will discover all of these things for yourself in time so you might as well be prepared for them. We went there with very high hopes but were incredibly disappointed and thankful to have been able to move back to NJ before our kids got too old.
“The Tri Cities”? I have never heard the area referred to by that term.

Actually, the whole metro and even within city limits have seen population growth in recent years. Saratoga County has been the or one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

There are relatively affluent areas in parts of Niskayuna, Bethlehem, Colonie, Guilderland, Clifton Park, Ballston, East Greenbush, Sand Lake and even parts of some of the cities and other towns. I’m referring to areas with median household incomes around or above 6 figures.

Sorry, while the area isn’t perfect, it is hard to take the post seriously.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM

19 posts, read 13,009 times
It's been called the Tri-City Area for as long as I can remember.

OP, there are a few Albany haters who don't seem to have much else to do than come here to rag on Albany. Whatever.

It's not paradise, but like everywhere else, it depends on what you like. I love it here, after living in a number of different places. US News & World Reports evaluates cities for a number of factors and ranks them on it's "Best Places to Live" index. The Albany area ranked #39 in the most recent report. https://realestate.usnews.com/places/new-york/albany

To know where to look for housing, it depends on what you want. The answer would be quite different for a young, childless couple who want to be in an urban area compared to someone looking for great schools in the suburbs.

What kinds of things do you like to do? Slightly north of Albany is the Adirondack State Park, which is larger than the Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Great Smokies National parks combined. Obviously, there is great opportunity for hiking, fishing, kayaking, etc. in the summer and skiing, snowboarding, skating, etc. in the winter.

There are a bunch of good entertainment venues and because it is a moderate sized city, trying to get into them is easy. We get Broadway shows from touring companies at Proctors Theatre, musical performances at The Egg, Troy Music Hall and the Times Union Center. The Saratoga Performing Arts Center gets ballet, symphony and other musical acts.

The employment situation in the area tends to be pretty stable. It doesn't have the big booms like some places, but it isn't the depressed rust belt city a previous poster makes it out to be, either, and tends not to suffer cyclical changes as much. There is a mix of types of employers, including the state government and a large number of colleges and universities, plus a growing technology industry.

Welcome to Albany, hope you enjoy it.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM

^Again, not to argue, but I have never heard it referred to as the “Tri-City Area”. Capital Region/District or the official name of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, sure. It wouldn’t make sense given that you have 4 other cities in the metro area as well(Saratoga Springs, Watervliet, Cohoes and Rensselaer). I’m only harping on it, because it made the post suspect from the start.

Binghamton has been referred to by that name though due to the good sized urban villages of Endicott and Johnson City, along with Binghamton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area