U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 03:22 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,107,720 times

Advertisements

I don't invest a lot in properties in Troy, but am considering getting into the area. I am looking at a building on the corner of 1st St and Tyler St. I am hearing mixed reviews both online and between people I've spoken to who live in the area. Can anyone give me some info on this area? Would an owner occupant feel safe? Crime maps online don't really show a whole lot of danger in the area it seems, but people I talk to say to avoid it. I always take peoples' opinions of Troy with a grain of salt though. Especially Capital Region natives who view Troy as the armpit of the region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 PM

233 posts, read 250,769 times
I have family from South Troy..4th st. Visited on holidays as my family lived out of state. They all left over the last 10+ years! Everyone of them. I personally wouldn’t buy an income property in South Troy, even tho you’d likely be safe. I’d be more concerned on who your tenants will be as that’s one the least desirable areas in Troy.

Have you walked around and checked out the area? I’m not familiar with that street. You may get lucky, and land a trendy artist type tenant, or students from Sage College, but it will need to be a trendy or a cool house... otherwise you may struggle with your tenant options.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls012 View Post
I have family from South Troy..4th st. Visited on holidays as my family lived out of state. They all left over the last 10+ years! Everyone of them. I personally wouldn’t buy an income property in South Troy, even tho you’d likely be safe. I’d be more concerned on who your tenants will be as that’s one the least desirable areas in Troy.

Have you walked around and checked out the area? I’m not familiar with that street. You may get lucky, and land a trendy artist type tenant, or students from Sage College, but it will need to be a trendy or a cool house... otherwise you may struggle with your tenant options.
Thanks for the input. I haven't walked the area but will be next week to see if I want to make an offer on the place. The renovations are top notch so I imagine I could get a decent tenant in there. Friend of mine told me the corner store across the street is a bit sketchy, but other than that it's generally safe. We shall see.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 PM

65,526 posts, read 91,343,363 times
If you go to the "Very interesting urban schools" thread, view the video in the article and go to the end. You can click on a video that is about young landlords/investors in Troy(the one on the right of the two), that you may find to be helpful. The video is just under 5 minutes long.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 2,169,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I don't invest a lot in properties in Troy, but am considering getting into the area. I am looking at a building on the corner of 1st St and Tyler St. I am hearing mixed reviews both online and between people I've spoken to who live in the area. Can anyone give me some info on this area? Would an owner occupant feel safe? Crime maps online don't really show a whole lot of danger in the area it seems, but people I talk to say to avoid it. I always take peoples' opinions of Troy with a grain of salt though. Especially Capital Region natives who view Troy as the armpit of the region.
MrJones, Troy has ALWAYS been the armpit of the region. ALWAYS. I've lived here my whole life so I know.

I was stupid enough to buy an "income" property in North Central in the late 80's. Then the housing authority shut some tenements and North Central was flooded with druggies and petty criminals. After losing my shirt I sold it to an even bigger idiot.

I drive through South Troy, right up 4th St. from it's beginning, to pick up Red Front pizzas once in a while. Year by year, it is getting dirtier, more decrepit and more dangerous.

Save yourself a ton of heartaches, head aches and money. Don't do it! And don't trust crime statistics. They're fixed.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:11 AM

5,179 posts, read 2,237,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post

I drive through South Troy, right up 4th St. from it's beginning, to pick up Red Front pizzas once in a while. Year by year, it is getting dirtier, more decrepit and more dangerous.
Have you heard if anyone is going to do anything with that building on the corner of 4th and Washington that burned 3 years ago in April?? I was living there at the time it burned (lived there for 14 years as a matter of fact). My landlord was supposed to fix it back up, but that fell through, I got sick of waiting for him, and found a place in Watervliet just as my lease with him ran out in August 2016.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 2,169,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Have you heard if anyone is going to do anything with that building on the corner of 4th and Washington that burned 3 years ago in April?? I was living there at the time it burned (lived there for 14 years as a matter of fact). My landlord was supposed to fix it back up, but that fell through, I got sick of waiting for him, and found a place in Watervliet just as my lease with him ran out in August 2016.
I don't follow Troy real estate Pagan. The landlord probably figured he's better off without tenants that with them. That's what I found out. The damage they do costs more to fix than they pay in rent. (Not the rent I charged. The rent they actually paid.)

He probably doesn't pay taxes or the garbage fee either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: