U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM

34 posts, read 198,451 times

Advertisements

don't live in the city of albany. the school system stinks. it is a very nice area to live in. i grew up in east greenbush. it is one of the nicest areas to live in, taking the metro area as a whole. but the city is not a place to raise kids. it is a nice place to go to college; i went to saint rose. but it is not really family friendly. to me, why live in the albany school district when you could go to guilderland or north colonie (shaker) or east greenbush (columbia) which are just a few miles away?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM

39 posts, read 106,769 times
Default Where to live near RPI with kids?

I posted a similar message to this one over on the thread about what's wrong with Troy, but I thought I'd take a shot here as well.

We're considering a PhD program at RPI, but we want to find out more about the area to make sure it's a good fit for our family. Of course a big question is where do we live. Where would you recommend we look for housing? It would be great to buy, but we looking more realistically at renting if we go to RPI. We want good schools, and while we're not hung up on living in the nicest place (couldn't afford it anyway!), safety is an issue. Is this combination of conditions (renting, good schools, safety, relatively close to RPI) unreasonable?

Also, besides proximity to Boston, Montreal, NYC, what are some of the local advantages of living in the Capital District?

We'd appreciate any thoughts!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,974,673 times
Not just Boston, Montreal, and NYC, but the historic Berkshires are 30 minutes away, great skiing in Vermont is only an hour away, great camping in the Adirondack Park is only an hour away. Basically anything you could want to do is within reasonable driving distance. In addition, the winters are not nearly as brutal as they are in Western NY and the summers are beautiful.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 198,451 times
rpi is ok. juststay up on the hill in troy or go further up the hill. the further up the hill you go the safer it is. i have never heard much about high crime in troy. there is an occasional murder among the criminal population, but nothing serious. plus even at the bottom of the hill a lot of people parrty down there

Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,909 times
Default Reply to Inkfiend-rental info

[mod]advertising/please use the classified ads forum [/mod]
I am happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Troy is a train ride to NYC, a short distance to Vermont or Massachusetts, not too far from Boston (3hrs) or the Cape, close to Saratoga (racing and concerts) Tanglewood, Williamstown (The Clark Museum), Bennington , Manchester, Vt with skiing and shopping. The Troy Music Hall has is re known for its acoustics so it often gets musicians who want to play there. Hockey games at RPI are a draw to the whole town as well as cmpus. Albany has many events of interest.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-16-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 22,491 times
why is there not a specific forum for ALBANY??? it is the capital, after all!!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,724 times
Default Alternative View

I feel that I need to respond to some of the previous posts on Albany. Moved here in 2001 after graduating from college near Rochester NY. Lived in various parts of the city, from Arbor Hill to Whitehall area. I often find that people who criticize Albany for not being a good place to live/raise a family have never lived in Albany. Usually they come from the suburbs.

As I stated before, like any city there are spots where you can find trouble if you want to. However, my wife and I have two young children and live in a part of the city that is very family friendly. We often take the kids out for walks, bike rides etc and will continue to do so. We are both educated adults (Masters degrees) and are comfortable with the schools that we have access to. There is some degree of apprehension regarding the high school, but not enough to cause us to move out of Albany.

This being said, the biggest issue we are facing now is lack of jobs. If you are in health care, or employed by NY State, then you are in the right spot. Working in the private sector is not so easy. We have been talking about moving South, but it is due to the tough job market and not the standard of living. I happen to think that if there were more companies here in Albany, we would be very happy to live her for many more years.

And yes, why doesn't Albany have its own forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area