U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 46,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am from NC and I am seriously looking for change and I read Albany NY is one of the safest places to raise kids and it is diverse,the schools or good ect.Can anyone tell me anything about it or give me some good advice? I have a interracial family and want us to be safe in a good neighborhood.Thanks Julie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 AM

502 posts, read 1,653,896 times
I just answered your question in the other thread. I'm moving from Albany to Raleigh. Most of the Albany area is safe and quiet and should be accepting of an interracial family. I would suggest you check out the Town of Colonie which is in Albany County. The Town encompasses Latham, Loudonville, Colonie, and Newtonville. You'll find a wide array of house prices that should fit any budget. We are selling a house in Loudonville at present. I love the location because its close to everything.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:06 PM

270 posts, read 748,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlowe308 View Post
Hi,
I am from NC and I am seriously looking for change and I read Albany NY is one of the safest places to raise kids and it is diverse,the schools or good ect.Can anyone tell me anything about it or give me some good advice? I have a interracial family and want us to be safe in a good neighborhood.Thanks Julie
Albany County may be a safe place to raise kids but the city of Albany itself is not safe. The schools are really bad and always on the news for trouble expecially at the Albany High. I moved out of the area a week ago and a couple weeks before I left Albany had already doubled it's murder count from last year. It may help to know if you want to buy or rent and price range, how many kids/what grades are they in and where are you looking at for jobs. You can DM me if you want more help. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,722 times
Default Alternative View of Albany

I would argue that the picture painted of Albany by the previous member is not 100% accurate. Like many of the cities in Upstate NY, Albany does have its issues. The high school has had some issues due to behavior problems, that can't be denied. However, many of the elementary schools are very good and offer a multiracial and cultural setting for young kids. The economy is here is very stable because Albany is the state capital. When other parts of the state suffer from economic issues, the capital region tends to be buffer the storm better because of the state government jobs and industries here. The region has 5 colleges: SUNY Albany, Union, Siena, RPI and Skidmore in Saratoga. If you are looking at some of the surrounding areas to live, Latham and Clifton Park are nice suburban areas. Colonie has traditionally been a good place to live due to all the business (lower taxes), but they recently uncovered a scandal with the town that shows they have a significant deficit to try and overcome during the next 5-10 years. The news was very shocking based on the towns history. If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 16,154 times
While I would not agree with Albany not being safe, however the Albany School District is pretty much a mess, but there are so many good districts in the Albany area. You may have some major sticker shock with the cost of living difference between NC and NY. But beyond that there is a lot to like about the area in general. The Senic beauty it's proximity to other cities and the culture in the area.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 17,443 times
Default I live in the Albany area and commute to Los Angeles...

Does that say something about what I think of the area?

You betcha! I love it!

It really does not matter what you are into. Culture: Montreal, Canada and New York City and Boston are all about 3-4 driving hours away.

Skiing, hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, alpaca farms, farm stand vegetables - all within a 20 minute drive or less. Cycling the Erie Canalway bike trail - unbeatable!

The area has been growing and prospering and basically trying to be "Silicone Valley East" for a long time now. Many companies hiring, depending on your job classification.

Need any other advice, just call on me!

Lisa M.
(518)620-4035

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM

502 posts, read 1,653,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickShot View Post
Colonie has traditionally been a good place to live due to all the business (lower taxes), but they recently uncovered a scandal with the town that shows they have a significant deficit to try and overcome during the next 5-10 years. The news was very shocking based on the towns history. If you have any other questions let me know.
I wouldn't really call it a scandal. After 80 years of one party in office, a new party was elected and big shocker... they are reporting issues with the budget. The word "scandal" would imply that something illegal or unethical was done. I haven't heard anything of the sort... possibly just that the management was done well. Its hard to know for sure based on what the media has to say why things are the way they are. Having debt is not necessarily a bad thing if there are reasons for it and a plan to pay it back. The only interview I've heard from the leaving supervisor indicated that it might have been worse than she realized, but still... the town has some of the lowest taxes in the area, so even if they go up... it still probably won't be more than the surrounding areas. It is hard to say. Add to this the impact of the state just passing the buck with their budget by cutting state aid to local government without cutting any require programs. Its fair to say that taxes will go up. I would still put my money on Colonie as one of the best places to live in the Albany area though.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM

9 posts, read 40,579 times
Talking Albany itself, not so much

I am a graduate of SUNY Albany and Saint Rose. I have been in Albany for 8 years. You do not want to move into the city of Albany. All the outskirts are really, really nice, but the city of albany is nicknamed "the student ghetto". IE, the areas from Partridge Street (right near Albany High School) down to South Main Street, and across from Central Avenue to about Park Avenue down behind Madison Ave. Don't get me wrong, there are amazing things going on in Albany - there is, no doubt, ALWAYS something to do. The spring / summer in Albany is AMAZING!!! I prefer the Latham area, but I've lived in the so-called "student ghetto" for 8 years, with the exception of 2 years (I lived in Bethlehem, which is by far the most beautiful area RIGHT outside of Albany - literally 5 minutes) and Bethlehem school district is an amazing district - I am a teacher. If you have any questions please feel free to private message me, I'd love to talk to you more about the area! By the way, I am moving to VA if you have any advice on that!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 40,579 times
Default more than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickShot View Post
I would argue that the picture painted of Albany by the previous member is not 100% accurate. Like many of the cities in Upstate NY, Albany does have its issues. The high school has had some issues due to behavior problems, that can't be denied. However, many of the elementary schools are very good and offer a multiracial and cultural setting for young kids. The economy is here is very stable because Albany is the state capital. When other parts of the state suffer from economic issues, the capital region tends to be buffer the storm better because of the state government jobs and industries here. The region has 5 colleges: SUNY Albany, Union, Siena, RPI and Skidmore in Saratoga. If you are looking at some of the surrounding areas to live, Latham and Clifton Park are nice suburban areas. Colonie has traditionally been a good place to live due to all the business (lower taxes), but they recently uncovered a scandal with the town that shows they have a significant deficit to try and overcome during the next 5-10 years. The news was very shocking based on the towns history. If you have any other questions let me know.
sorry, but there are many more colleges than that in the area. I, myself, went to both SUNY and Saint Rose, just to name one more. There's also Elmira, Empire, Sage, and Maria College to name a few.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM

79 posts, read 321,355 times
There are at least 11 higher education institutions in the area.

I am too moving this summer from Schenectady and am very sad. We love it here...so much to do and close to all. (3 hrs to Montreal, Boston and 2.5 to NYC with easy train ride) Mountains, skiing, lakes all just great!

I would also look at Niskayuna. GREAT schools and a nice small community feel. The houses range from McMansions to cute capes in Old Niskayuna.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area