U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 365 times

Advertisements

So my situation is this. I've been living in my apartment for 3 years. It's an older house that was turned into 5 apartment units. My rent is always due by the first of the month. If it is not received by the 3rd of each month, a $25 a day late fee is accrued. For 3 years I have never been late with my rent. If I can not mail it in time that is due, my landlord will meet with me to receive it. I mailed my rent out on June 28th regular mail. My landlord decided to wait until July 6th to notify me that she did not receive my rent and that I needed to pay her the full amount on top of late fees accrued that same day. I always pay with a money order as i do not have a checking account. I had no way to prove to her that it was mailed, so I ended up going to my bank to stop the money order. I got a copy of the form that the bank officiated showing my stop payment and refund for the money order along with the date that they money order was taken out of my account for the exact amount of my rent. When I went to meet with her to give her my rent, I showed her the form from the bank but she ended up charging me late fees anyways. Then proceeded to tell me that she checked her mail on July 2nd, but did not see it in her mail and thought it was weird because I'm always on time. She did not notify me at all. My issue is that she then proceeded to tell me that she didn't check her mail again until July 6th (Due to the 4th of July holiday) and now I had to pay the late fees. I ended up paying her the late fees on top of my monthly rent of $750 (Thank goodness I got paid they day before otherwise I would not have had the money as the bank refund on my money order was going to take a week to be refunded back into my account). So my question is, does this seem unreasonable for someone who is always on time and had proof that the money order was not cashed and was being refunded? and if she knows I'm always on time, then why wait so long to contact me? I feel like she waited because she wanted to collect the late fees. She wasn't nice about it at all. What are your opinions?

Last edited by Laura2287; 07-12-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,114,504 times
If this is the first and only bad experience you've had with this landlord, just eat the late fee and let it go. Going to court and all that is going to be more of a hassle than what you'll get out of it. Could always consider moving once your lease is up as well.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM

5,206 posts, read 2,257,777 times
Never rent from anyone you can't physically hand your rent to every month.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM

66 posts, read 56,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
huh

Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,114,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
A lot of places now don't accept cash. Even my apartment complex down south doesn't take checks. It's all via online.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM

11,983 posts, read 11,608,822 times
OP your check didn't make it and you do owe that money and the late fee, telling you a day sooner would not have made a difference. What would you have done on the 3rd if their mail delivery time was late and you were notified at 5pm that it didn't make it? Run to a closed bank or worry all the next day. You also said you got paid on the 5th so you had the money to pay what was owed with the fine something you would have not have had on the evening of the 3rd or the 4th.

I'm glad you've been diligent in paying on time but this is business and as the owner has shown they view it the same. A bank form doesn't show anything, in the future don't expect consideration as they won't extend it. See if you can electronically pay your rent so you don't have to get a money order to mail it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area