Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 54,524 times

Advertisements

Hi, we moved to Clifton Park recently and would like to know the closest emergency room, and what are the best hospitals in the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 17,693 times
Welcome to the area!!
Clifton Park has a decent amount of urgent care facilities in town which has greatly reduced our trips to the hospital ER. Our family usually visits Ellis on Sitterly Road -they have a full service emergent care center- we have gone there for everything from broke bones , concussions, a few pretty bad lacerations and bronchitis/pneumonia. I have 8 children and we haven't seen the inside of an emergency room since, which is great! Not usually a long wait, either. There is another urgent care center on Route 146 but I haven't been there before.
There are a few hospitals in the area. There are hospitals in just about every direction and it kind of depends on why you are going to the hospital in the first place as to which one is the best. Albany Medical Center in Albany is technically the best, as it is a level one trauma center. All the local hospitals will transport to Albany Med if they are unable to provide the level of care required, especially for children( they have a childrens hospital wing ) so we generally cut the middle man and go there if necessary. St. Peters is known for it's excellent cardiac care center. For childbirthing, many of the hospitals are pretty competitive so all of them that offer childbirthing services are fairly nice. Bellevue Women's Hospital in Schenectady is great for childbirthing as well (the focus on women's health, but not limited to reproductive services...they are not a full service hospital with an ER)
Close by are Samaritan and St. Mary's hospitals, both in Troy; Albany Medical Center, St. Peter's and Albany Memorial, all in Albany; Ellis hospital in Schenectady (excellent neurology dept) and Saratoga Hospital in Saratoga Springs, with various emergent care departments in all directions as well.
Two other points to note : some of the hospitals that are religiously affiliated, such as St. Peter's hospital for example, abide by that particular religions beliefs, so, for instance, in the case of St. Peter's which is catholic, things like birth control or sterilization methods are not offered or available in the facility. This probably won't come into play much but good to know.
Your physician may have a preference depending on which hospitals they have care privileges. My OB has privileges in Albany Med and St Peters, but my primary is Ellis only. So that may make a difference for you as well if you prefer your particular dr to treat you in the hospital as well.

I hope you enjoy the area!

Last edited by lnewbie76; 08-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 PM

19 posts, read 17,693 times
[quote=lnewbie76;52899622]
- we have gone there for everything from broke bones
Good gravy autocorrect is really killing me here, my apologies for so many typos!!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
For us the best hospital is in Saratoga Springs. I am a nurse who was a government inspector and my husband still works for NYS and does approvals for the building and renovations of hospitals and clinics.

We use to live near Saratoga, moved away (to central NY) and hope to move back. We still use Saratoga Hospital and travel 2 hrs each way to go there.

The hospital is all about the patient and the patient's comfort and care. The staff is great. The hospital does not tolerate rude or incompetent staff, nurses, or doctors.

If I rated the hospital from 0 to 10 , I'd give Saratoga an 11 or 12.

BTW- we have never worked in Saratoga- only been there are patients.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
Also- just because it is a community hospital, Saratoga does amazing things there. First, they will be expanding.

Also, just a month ago my husband found out he had cysts on 1 kidney. One of the cysts was vascularized- it had blood vessels in it- which may make it cancerous (not vascularized there is no problem and do not need to be removed).

So he had to have an ablation.

Usually this type of cyst would mean removing part of the affected kidney. But Saratoga has 2 doctor that do the surgery together- you get 2 doctors for the price of 1- and what they do is take long needle probes and either freeze or microwave the cyst.

They are the only doctors that do ablations in NYS. They trained at Boston General. So instead of losing 1/2 a kidney, my husband had a little poke in his side with a piece of tape. He stayed overnight and never need even 1 pain pill. We are still amazed.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:19 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
I also agree Saratoga Hospital probably has the best reputation in the area. Not really that far of a drive from Clifton Park if you're near 146. I think they're building a new UC center in Malta which is a bit closer. You can see it off 87 but it looks like it's brand new. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 PM

334 posts, read 188,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
For us the best hospital is in Saratoga Springs. I am a nurse who was a government inspector and my husband still works for NYS and does approvals for the building and renovations of hospitals and clinics.

We use to live near Saratoga, moved away (to central NY) and hope to move back. We still use Saratoga Hospital and travel 2 hrs each way to go there.

The hospital is all about the patient and the patient's comfort and care. The staff is great. The hospital does not tolerate rude or incompetent staff, nurses, or doctors.

If I rated the hospital from 0 to 10 , I'd give Saratoga an 11 or 12.

BTW- we have never worked in Saratoga- only been there are patients.
I agree...I lived in Saratoga Springs for a few years. The hospital care there is superb!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 PM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
In relation to this thread, there will be an expansion of this facility in Clifton Park: Emergency and Urgent Care, Primary Care in Clifton Park, Saratoga County | Ellis Medicine

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...-facility.html

Old 10-09-2018, 04:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
As others have stated, Saratoga Springs is outstanding. Prefer there over Albany, which is a teaching hospital. I was not impressed when my spouse had to be hospitalized there.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
As others have stated, Saratoga Springs is outstanding. Prefer there over Albany, which is a teaching hospital. I was not impressed when my spouse had to be hospitalized there.
Yup agreed. I've heard plenty of stories lol. Friends of mine who work there and did their studying there tell me not to use that hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area