U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,106,236 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see which small cities/towns people like the most in this area. A nice perk of living up here is that within a reasonable drive, you're pretty much in a beautiful rural area.

For me, I think Johnstown is a solid place to live for those looking for dirt cheap property taxes and a relatively decent amount of local amenities. It's a walkable town for sure and very safe and well kept. The schools don't have the greatest rep but they're not exactly the worst either. I honestly think people who work from home and who like a small town atmosphere with lots of outdoor summer and winter activities would love living here.

Scotia obviously is great too. Can't beat its location and how safe it is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM

477 posts, read 608,537 times
Speaking as an occasional visitor from downstate, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the scenic towns along the Hudson north of Albany, such as Cohoes, Waterford, Watervliet, Green Island. And everyone in NYS should visit Peebles State Park at least once! So peaceful, with marvelous views of the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk, the falls and canals.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 2,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Speaking as an occasional visitor from downstate, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the scenic towns along the Hudson north of Albany, such as Cohoes, Waterford, Watervliet, Green Island. And everyone in NYS should visit Peebles State Park at least once! So peaceful, with marvelous views of the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk, the falls and canals.

I went to my first English Country Dance on Peebles Island, back in 2001.

I live in Watervliet, and can vouch for the much improved quality of life as opposed to Schenectady, which is where I grew up. I have my windows open right now and can't hear a damn thing from the neighbors. No loud house parties, no booming bass noise. I can sit on my front steps and not have worry about the riff raff coming down the block and starting crap.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 11,488 times
I live in Waterford- we really like it here. I lived in the village for a great many years and now am in the town-my children loved growing up here.
I recently visited Cooperstown via Route 20 and that was, by far, my favorite place in NY so far esthetically speaking. Even the drive was great- I am obsessed with the Springfield/Cooperstown area now! (Worth noting that despite residing in New York, first in Albany and then in Waterford, for the last 24 years, I have not done much in the way of traveling around, so Cooperstown isn't really up against too much competition lol)
I don't much care for the long, grey winters, but New York is an amazing state full of beautiful cities, towns and villages-I absolutely love it!

Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 AM

477 posts, read 608,537 times
Hello Waterford (Inewbie) --
Two magnificent and historic canals criss-crossing right through your town -- incredible!

And I have to echo you on Cooperstown (though I'm not familiar with Springfield). Went there last year. I found it a magical place. Even the baseball stuff is cool, after you get over the fact that the town's connection with the beginnings of baseball, and the involvement of Doubleday is all made up (by Spaulding, to help sell his sporting goods).
I found it a very peaceful town, very walkable, with lots to see. And that it's still a small city, means the historical stuff has largely survived, since there's no huge demand to tear things down to build newer and bigger. And the beautiful lake -- it's such a spiritual place. The state park at the north end of the lake is a worthwhile visit too -- Glimmerglass.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 PM

423 posts, read 571,114 times
There's a little town called Middleburgh in Schoharie county. It's a little off the beaten path but they have awesome scenery, great hiking or kayaking/canoeing and some of the best restaurants upstate (IMHO). If you're into camping there's also some nice campgrounds.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:29 AM

356 posts, read 323,952 times
Came back from Boston- Albany in Greyhound a few days ago. The journey was spectacular , I dont remember the names of some of the towns within one hour radius of Albany but they were really pretty with neat trimmed lawns , golf courses and lush green atmosphere.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:35 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,106,236 times
Loving all of the input here. To the people who chose places in the Scoharie area, you're spot on. Beautiful scenery out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area