U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,122 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to the area and was looking for recommendations on local gyms. I live near the crossgates mall, and was told that their is a gym inside the mall. Does anyone have any experience with other gyms in the area or can offer any recommendations?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM

257 posts, read 1,266,931 times
There's a Ballys inside Crossgates. There was a place on Wolf Road called Fitness Factory back when I lived in Albany (02-05), not sure if it's still there. It was pretty cheap though and had free tanning. There's another gym on Central Ave in the Price Chopper plaza that's real cheap too, and a YMCA on Washington closer to downtown.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 40,446 times
DO NOT GO TO BALLY'S IN THE MALL!!!! This is only my personal experience, but they treated me terribly!!! I am a petite girl, and they treated me like I was wasting their time. The cheapest plan is $50 a month. I suggest Planet Fitness. It's right off of Wolf Road on Albany-Shaker Road, or there is one in Delmar off of Delaware Ave as well. It's about $20 a month and you get free tanning too! What kind of atmostphere are you looking for?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM

I am 23 year old male. I don't care for "broly" places where steroids run rampant. I like to go through my workout routine on the weights and do some running on the treadmill. Obviously I'm just looking for a clean place with a decent atmosphere, not a dungeon.
hmmm

Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 PM

34 posts, read 198,039 times
Albany Y is a very good gym. it has everything. it is the best gym in the area

Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 39,933 times
I am also a 23-year old male moving to the area and looking for a decent gym. I am sorry to hear that about the Bally's, as I had planned to go there - it will be just a few miles from my new apartment. I run a lot and use weight machines and lift a little, but I'm not a huge bodybuilder. Is the planet fitness you're referring to an OK place for someone who's a bit of a gym rat? I generally go at least four nights a week, and I don't care about having a huge selection of stuff, but I don't want to go somewhere crowded. I also don't want to go somewhere there's only like two treadmills. You think that'd be a problem at Planet Fitness?

If I knock that Bally's off the list, it's looking like at least a ten minute drive or so anywhere else, so I might as well choose the best place and not the most convenient. I've heard the Y is a bit expensive, and I don't need a pool, basketball court, etc.

Thanks for the info on this thread, looks like it may save me money and frustration...

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasil View Post
I am also a 23-year old male moving to the area and looking for a decent gym. I am sorry to hear that about the Bally's, as I had planned to go there - it will be just a few miles from my new apartment. I run a lot and use weight machines and lift a little, but I'm not a huge bodybuilder. Is the planet fitness you're referring to an OK place for someone who's a bit of a gym rat? I generally go at least four nights a week, and I don't care about having a huge selection of stuff, but I don't want to go somewhere crowded. I also don't want to go somewhere there's only like two treadmills. You think that'd be a problem at Planet Fitness?

If I knock that Bally's off the list, it's looking like at least a ten minute drive or so anywhere else, so I might as well choose the best place and not the most convenient. I've heard the Y is a bit expensive, and I don't need a pool, basketball court, etc.

Thanks for the info on this thread, looks like it may save me money and frustration...

Have you moved up here yet? I'm going to check out the Gold's Gym at the 20 Mall, just a few minutes away from Woodlake.

I'll let you know.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 39,933 times
I drive out later this week and am there next week permanently. Spending a couple days in a hotel that has its own gym, then I'm on my own.

I generally try to avoid Gold's. In my (admittedly limited) experience with them, they are a bit pricey, and are veeery body-builder-ish. The pro is that if you travel at all (I have to for work) you can have a five dollar guest pass at any other facility in the country. The downside is that their contracts are an absolute PIA to get out of, should you ever want to.

If you want, you can always PM me with you results of the gym search. I am moving from Buffalo and am sorry to have to terminate my Buffalo Athletic Club membership. It's like my second home.

Honestly, all I need is a pretty complete weight room, an open treadmill with a tv nearby, and a pullup/dip bar. I'm easy lol.

Let me know what you find. Much obliged.

Jasil

Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM

46 posts, read 155,789 times
Yeah i would never go to a Bally's

O go to the albany Y but its not that sweet...
its kinda ghetto

the east greenbush Y is the nicest around bar none....SO NICE !

just get the membership and go to that one, if you can

Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM

85 posts, read 270,741 times
Default Pool?

do any of them have a swimming pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: