Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,499 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Albany area in a year, for our son to start high school. He is "high functioning" autistic. He is mainstreamed and goes to regular classes, with an aide.
We currently are in Texas, and services here are pitiful. Grade school was OK, Middle school has been a nightmare.

I work from home so we can live anywhere I can get a good internet connection. Which leaves a lot of options open.

Though I've been gone for 35 years, I grew up in Troy and Latham, and still have a lot of family in the area, so I know it fairly well.

I've been researching a lot. This board has been a good resource, but most of the info I've found here is 10 years old. I'm am trying to find reports on where the best services are for SPED, specifically autism.

I have calls in to the SPED people in the school districts and some of the support groups, but so far, I haven't really gotten much to go on.
I have been recommended or have read recommendations for -

Niskayuna - high taxes though
Guilderland - Really convenient and even thinking about Altamont (I grew up in the country)
Ballston Spa - It seems the school district covers a lot of towns like Malta and Milton

I was back in town a couple times in the last couple months, and drove around these areas to look at houses. It seems there are a lot of good options in any of them.

I've even read some good reviews of South Colonie, which would be interesting, seeing as I went to Shaker, lol. This one did kind of surprise me, but then, I have been out of the area for 35 years ...

Anyway, any parents dealing with SPED, preferably high school age, and more the inclusion part of it, in any of these? Any really good/bad/stay away from?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area