U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband is in the Navy and we are relocating to upstate NY, Ballston Spa area. I've been looking for a place to rent and have seen a nice house in Schenectady. Having never been there and renting just from pictures alone i'd like to know if anyone has any opinions on the area, especially near Florence Ave if you're at all familiar with it.
Thanks!
Victoria.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 AM

79 posts, read 320,357 times
I live in Schenectady. I love our life here, but it is not the same as Ballston Spa at all. It is a city with lots of city problems, more than a lot. It is probably the most crime ridden city in the Capital District per capita.

Having said that, the area you are looking in is a nice middle class area. I think it would be pretty safe. It looks like it is almost Rotterdam. I checked the location on Google Earth. But beware of Schenectady if you have never lived in a city. I live in one of the nicest neighborhoods near the College and we still have issues with car break-ins and once a rock through the window.

If you plan on having kids while living here....check out what school you would be. Most are not good.

If you are looking to have children, look at Scotia or Rotterdam for the same prices, I would think.

Good Luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM

267 posts, read 905,135 times
Default Ballston Spa, Sch'dy

I live in Schenectady as well and enjoy it; but I'm confused as to why if your husband is working in Ballston Spa, why not live there? I really like Ballston Spa too, very quaint, near Saratoga, the Adirondacks. It's my understanding that the school district in Ballston Spa is good, housing isn't bad either. But the area that you asked about in Sch'dy, I'd say isn't bad, but not my cup of tea. I don't know that it's convenient for commuting to Ballston Spa either. As with the previous poster I also live near the College and think it's a nice area, some crime but that is to be expected in a city. My husband works in Saratoga and drives up Rt. 50 through Ballston Spa. In terms of schools, yes it all depends on where you live. Florence Ave goes to Pleasant Valley School, w/no buses. That school would be at the bottom of choices in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
The Navy base is located about 25 miles from Schenactady on Galway Rd. at border of the towns of Galway and Milton. The Navy provides housing in the City of Saratoga Springs which is a very wealthy safe area. Ballston Spa is inside the town of Milton and is a village with pop. of about 5,000. Town of Miton has a pop of about 10,000 and Saratoga Sprigs metro area is about 30,000. Schenctady is a high crime area compared to Saratoga Springs, Towns of Milton and Galway and village of Ballston Spa. There is very good housing available in those area and they would be much closer to the Navy base.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM

69,376 posts, read 96,156,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike518 View Post
The Navy base is located about 25 miles from Schenactady on Galway Rd. at border of the towns of Galway and Milton. The Navy provides housing in the City of Saratoga Springs which is a very wealthy safe area. Ballston Spa is inside the town of Milton and is a village with pop. of about 5,000. Town of Miton has a pop of about 10,000 and Saratoga Sprigs metro area is about 30,000. Schenctady is a high crime area compared to Saratoga Springs, Towns of Milton and Galway and village of Ballston Spa. There is very good housing available in those area and they would be much closer to the Navy base.
Schuylerville might work as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 25,562 times
I am also considering a house in Schenectady. In fact, we fell in love with a house in the GE plot. But now I am very worried about it-after having read these posts. We have a baby and have no problem sending him to private school. But I want to feel safe in my neighborhood. How can the schools be so bad with such high taxes??? and is the crime really that bad--for someone coming from a much bigger city???

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM

207 posts, read 597,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3doxies View Post
How can the schools be so bad with such high taxes???
Because the money is not actually spent educating children. Lavish pensions and retiree health care don't pay for themselves.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 PM

267 posts, read 905,135 times
3doxies, I live w/in walking distance of the GE plots. It's a great area, safe, very walkable. It is a city though, so you lock doors, and be smart just like if you were in another city. What elementary would your kids go to if you did buy? Elmer or Zoller? My kids are at Zoller and we LOVE it. The new principal is amazing. I have a few friends who's kids go to Elmer and like it but I don't know a lot about it. Brown School (private) is great too. In the GE plots the kids go to a mix of schools. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions. I have enjoyed the city despite the bad reputation.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 AM

264 posts, read 414,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3doxies View Post
I am also considering a house in Schenectady. In fact, we fell in love with a house in the GE plot. But now I am very worried about it-after having read these posts. We have a baby and have no problem sending him to private school. But I want to feel safe in my neighborhood. How can the schools be so bad with such high taxes??? and is the crime really that bad--for someone coming from a much bigger city???
Speaking just for crime- I really haven't found it to be an issue, honestly. I've lived in Schenectady my entire life (I'm 30) and have a small child (almost 4). I never feel unsafe walking around our neighborhood with her, or going to the park. The worst "crime" to happen to us was 2 slashed tires on our car (that was parked on the street) a few years ago.. but I sorta feel like THAT can happen almost anywhere.

Of course, there are areas you would want to stay clear of .. but isn't that true for almost any city? You'll learn those areas/places and simply stay from them.

But I feel safe here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area