U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 PM

69,372 posts, read 96,156,627 times

Advertisements

Here is a slideshow from the Albany Business Review(a part of the American City Business Journals) of the highest paying jobs in the area and the first part of the article is interesting: “When it comes to attracting talent, one thing Albany does particularly well is offering competitive salaries.

Overall, Albany's average pay is higher than the national standard, and tops some far bigger cities, like Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and Columbus, Ohio.”

More here: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...ying-jobs.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,062,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a slideshow from the Albany Business Review(a part of the American City Business Journals) of the highest paying jobs in the area and the first part of the article is interesting: “When it comes to attracting talent, one thing Albany does particularly well is offering competitive salaries.

Overall, Albany's average pay is higher than the national standard, and tops some far bigger cities, like Atlanta, Dallas, Miami and Columbus, Ohio.”

More here: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...ying-jobs.html
The market pays what it has to pay to attract talent. Bad weather, bad geography, high taxes, and lack of quality feeder schools.

Columbus is home to the huge Ohio State University, so I am sure employers have an easy way to keep talent there reducing salary pressure. It also helps that taxes in Ohio are lower than in New York state. Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami also have a good schools in the area, are in low or no tax states, and have much better weather.

Think someone interviewing in winter months will choose Albany over Atlanta without a hefty salary difference?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The market pays what it has to pay to attract talent. Bad weather, bad geography, high taxes, and lack of quality feeder schools.

Columbus is home to the huge Ohio State University, so I am sure employers have an easy way to keep talent there reducing salary pressure. It also helps that taxes in Ohio are lower than in New York state. Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami also have a good schools in the area, are in low or no tax states, and have much better weather.

Think someone interviewing in winter months will choose Albany over Atlanta without a hefty salary difference?
Or perhaps the location, schools and other factors play part as to why the pay is higher in the Albany area. Weather is overrated in terms of pay, as it can be used to its advantage in other ways.

Also, I believe that Educational Attainment plays a part in this and the Albany area is above the national average in terms of those 25 and older with at least a Bachelors degree.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Or perhaps the location, schools and other factors play part as to why the pay is higher in the Albany area. Weather is overrated in terms of pay, as it can be used to its advantage in other ways.

Also, I believe that Educational Attainment plays a part in this and the Albany area is above the national average in terms of those 25 and older with at least a Bachelors degree.
I think you have it wrong. Albany has SUNY (party school of the year for several years), Skidmore (for kids majoring in SJW), Siena (tiny), St. Rose (teacher college), Union (tiny), and RPI (small tech school that likely is the best the area has), plus Albany Med Pharm Law (all inherently itinerant student body).

The jobs at the legislature and state govt (via agency headquarters being located in the state capitol) likely push up the average. The average for Albany is calculated on a much smaller number of salaries than Columbus and Atlanta where the state govt effect is diluted due to size of the city.

I continue to be amazed at the inability of the Capital District to grasp the completely inhospitable winter weather in which they live. It will be 22F on Thanksgiving as a high. Atlanta and Dallas 60F, Miami 80F.

What advantage does 22F have over 80F? Better heating bill? Skiing?

Not everyone likes skiing. Jiminy Peak is 1 hr from downtown Albany and has been closed all week. They may open on Friday with 3-4 trails. Gore is close to 2 hrs from downtown Albany and hopes to have 1/4 of their terrain open. If you like skiing you are better off going out west where there is powder and not ice.

Bad weather, bad geography, high taxes, and lack of quality feeder schools. If you are running a business in the CD and need people you pay what is required or you move.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I think you have it wrong. Albany has SUNY (party school of the year for several years), Skidmore (for kids majoring in SJW), Siena (tiny), St. Rose (teacher college), Union (tiny), and RPI (small tech school that likely is the best the area has), plus Albany Med Pharm Law (all inherently itinerant student body).

The jobs at the legislature and state govt (via agency headquarters being located in the state capitol) likely push up the average. The average for Albany is calculated on a much smaller number of salaries than Columbus and Atlanta where the state govt effect is diluted due to size of the city.

I continue to be amazed at the inability of the Capital District to grasp the completely inhospitable winter weather in which they live. It will be 22F on Thanksgiving as a high. Atlanta and Dallas 60F, Miami 80F.

What advantage does 22F have over 80F? Better heating bill? Skiing?

Not everyone likes skiing. Jiminy Peak is 1 hr from downtown Albany and has been closed all week. They may open on Friday with 3-4 trails. Gore is close to 2 hrs from downtown Albany and hopes to have 1/4 of their terrain open. If you like skiing you are better off going out west where there is powder and not ice.

Bad weather, bad geography, high taxes, and lack of quality feeder schools. If you are running a business in the CD and need people you pay what is required or you move.
So, close proximity to the Adirondacks, Catskills, Berkshires, Green and Taconics in terms of mountains; close proximity to NYC and Boston and multiple good to solid institutions of higher learning equals bad location and lack of quality feeder schools...Not buying it.

Again, many people like 4 seasons and the overall cost of living is around/slightly above the national average. I believe other QOL aspects such as lower crime rate and less traffic are things people would consider as well.

With this said, it doesn’t change the fact in the article in terms of pay. This is also considering that Atlanta and Columbus are also state capitals that have state government based agencies as well as major private company HQ’s.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2018 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 PM

A related article in terms of the earnings of those from local colleges/universities 10 years after they started college: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...g-college.html

Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Again, many people like 4 seasons and the overall cost of living is around/slightly above the national average. I believe other QOL aspects such as lower crime rate and less traffic are things people would consider as well.
In my experience, 'liking 4 seasons' is an Albany thing. It's not four seasons in Albany. It is an extremely cold, bitter winter that starts around mid Nov and lasts into April.

You want four seasons move to Missouri or Virginia or North Carolina. You don't need chains around the tires or winter tires, salt eating your car away, outrageous heating bills, survival winter jackets, and snow boots.

New York is notorious around the country as a high tax state.

Perception is what matters. It's why upstate NY is lagging behind and why places like Texas are growing.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 AM

^ Also, people can be “sheep” and don’t know facts or go by what they are told. In this case, here is the proof behind the portion of the article quoted(look at the top line of each list); Albany: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_10580.htm#00-0000

Atlanta: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_12060.htm#00-0000

Columbus: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_18140.htm#00-0000

Dallas: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_19100.htm#00-0000

Miami: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_33100.htm#00-0000

You can add bigger areas such as, Phoenix: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_38060.htm#00-0000

Richmond: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_40060.htm#00-0000

Pittsburgh: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_38300.htm#00-0000

Nashville: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_34980.htm#00-0000

Austin: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_12420.htm#00-0000

San Antonio: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_41700.htm#00-0000

Raleigh: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_39580.htm#00-0000

Charlotte: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_16740.htm#00-0000

and some others...

I say to expect snow from after Thanksgiving to about mid/late March, give or take. It is still a 4 seasons environment in the Albany area and it does get relatively cold in many parts of other regions. Let alone when it snows at all in many of these places, things shut down(experienced this at Fort Gordon GA). So, the cold weather aspect is overblown in terms of this aspect.

Also, no need for chains and we can flip some of the other things in terms of warm weather. Every state has taxes and while no one denies the situation in NYS, you can also get hit with other fees or ways in other states/areas, along with lower pay. Keep in mind that many of these areas have an overall COL that is about the same as the Albany area too.

On top of all of this, the area has population growth. Not to the extent as some of these areas, which are the biggest areas in their state in pretty much all of these examples, but it is still growing.

Anyway and to bring this back to the jobs listed, any surprises or occupations you thought would be on the slideshow, but weren’t?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 23,100 times
I moved here from Dallas. Lived there 25 years. The notion that Dallas has better weather is laughable. Sure, if you like heat and/or never going outside during summer, it's great I guess. Yes, in November, the weather in Dallas is generally better than Albany, but it depends on the day. November is also the nicest month of the year in terms of weather. I got depressed every year from not being able to go outside from May until October because of the heat. I can't stand being hot. Couldn't acclimate to it. I have acclimated better to the cold. Don't mind putting on layers and going for a walk in below freezing temps. I got outside all winter last year. Once you get moving, you warm up. Sure it would suuuck to have to do street parking in the snow. But I have a garage so, I don't care. I wish winter were a little shorter and spring a little longer. I looked further south but their summers are getting hotter and I'd rather just hedge my bets moving somewhere cooler. I like the fact that we're close to so much natural beauty and lots of outdoor activities (Dallas is ugly, crowded, and hardly any decent hiking), and there are plenty of interesting places to visit within a 4 hour drive. I like that we have less traffic here.

As far as pay, my husband is a software engineer and he definitely makes more than he made in Dallas, but he was severely underpaid in his job there, and probably could have done better there as well. Unfortunately the traffic situation there was so bad that we would have had to move anyway if he had found a better job there. We wanted to leave the state entirely so he focused his job search in places we'd rather live.

My winter heating bill in NYS is lower than my summer AC bill in Texas. My heating bill in Texas was also actually surprisingly high, because my house had high ceilings, vents on the ceiling, huge windows, and was generally not designed to stay warm. Overall my energy bills are pretty similar but my house is bigger here. Homeowners insurance in TX is much more expensive because of the huge numbers of natural disasters they have there. Large hail, tornadoes, and hurricanes are all relatively common there. The year we moved we had over $20k in damage from baseball sized hail. We do have higher taxes here. It's not perfect, but we like it here and would never go back.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberRain View Post
I moved here from Dallas. Lived there 25 years. The notion that Dallas has better weather is laughable. Sure, if you like heat and/or never going outside during summer, it's great I guess. Yes, in November, the weather in Dallas is generally better than Albany, but it depends on the day. November is also the nicest month of the year in terms of weather. I got depressed every year from not being able to go outside from May until October because of the heat. I can't stand being hot. Couldn't acclimate to it. I have acclimated better to the cold. Don't mind putting on layers and going for a walk in below freezing temps. I got outside all winter last year. Once you get moving, you warm up. Sure it would suuuck to have to do street parking in the snow. But I have a garage so, I don't care. I wish winter were a little shorter and spring a little longer. I looked further south but their summers are getting hotter and I'd rather just hedge my bets moving somewhere cooler. I like the fact that we're close to so much natural beauty and lots of outdoor activities (Dallas is ugly, crowded, and hardly any decent hiking), and there are plenty of interesting places to visit within a 4 hour drive. I like that we have less traffic here.

As far as pay, my husband is a software engineer and he definitely makes more than he made in Dallas, but he was severely underpaid in his job there, and probably could have done better there as well. Unfortunately the traffic situation there was so bad that we would have had to move anyway if he had found a better job there. We wanted to leave the state entirely so he focused his job search in places we'd rather live.

My winter heating bill in NYS is lower than my summer AC bill in Texas. My heating bill in Texas was also actually surprisingly high, because my house had high ceilings, vents on the ceiling, huge windows, and was generally not designed to stay warm. Overall my energy bills are pretty similar but my house is bigger here. Homeowners insurance in TX is much more expensive because of the huge numbers of natural disasters they have there. Large hail, tornadoes, and hurricanes are all relatively common there. The year we moved we had over $20k in damage from baseball sized hail. We do have higher taxes here. It's not perfect, but we like it here and would never go back.
I lived in the Permian Basin. I found the entire year to be amazing and wonderful and yes, there was the 5F snow storm on occasion, but on balance much, much better weather than Albany. I was always jealous of San Antonio or Dallas weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area