Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
That's funny, as Rochester is probably my favorite of the Upstate cities, and I think probably has the most potential. Albany is a close second for me.
Please elaborate if you don't mind. I'd like to hear your point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:32 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Please elaborate if you don't mind. I'd like to hear your point of view.
Purely my opinion and not based on any facts/stats: I think its a very comfortable, hometown kind of city. It feels like the better parts of NJ without the traffic, attitude, and rat-race feel. Leaving the city, you drive past homey villages, with solid old homes and tree lined streets. Lots of trees, and the lake is enormous, feels almost like the ocean. I'd also say there's a certain "Americana" feel to it, with weeping willow trees, American flags, drive-in movie theaters, and a tire swing in the front yard. Its unpretentious and solid, even a little Midwestern in feel.

I like that a Wegmans is always nearby, and that means fresh produce year-round. Can't underestimate how important that is to me. Whole Foods is not the same. I also like that its relatively flat, so biking is easy (biking in the Capital region is tougher). Lakes and streams for fishing are everywhere. Farm stands also abound in the summer. The Finger Lakes are so close, and many people don't know how wild the Zoar Valley area is too. Its a good place if you like the outdoors.

Houses are cheap (taxes are not). America is being divided between the people who kill themselves to live in NYC, San Fran, Boston, Seattle, and Denver (also I'd add Austin, Nashville, Portland, and LA to the list). And those that can more comfortably afford the Toledo's, Cleveland, Kansas Cities, and Rochesters). Of those groupings, I think Rochester punches above its weight.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Purely my opinion and not based on any facts/stats: I think its a very comfortable, hometown kind of city. It feels like the better parts of NJ without the traffic, attitude, and rat-race feel. Leaving the city, you drive past homey villages, with solid old homes and tree lined streets. Lots of trees, and the lake is enormous, feels almost like the ocean. I'd also say there's a certain "Americana" feel to it, with weeping willow trees, American flags, drive-in movie theaters, and a tire swing in the front yard. Its unpretentious and solid, even a little Midwestern in feel.

I like that a Wegmans is always nearby, and that means fresh produce year-round. Can't underestimate how important that is to me. Whole Foods is not the same. I also like that its relatively flat, so biking is easy (biking in the Capital region is tougher). Lakes and streams for fishing are everywhere. Farm stands also abound in the summer. The Finger Lakes are so close, and many people don't know how wild the Zoar Valley area is too. Its a good place if you like the outdoors.

Houses are cheap (taxes are not). America is being divided between the people who kill themselves to live in NYC, San Fran, Boston, Seattle, and Denver (also I'd add Austin, Nashville, Portland, and LA to the list). And those that can more comfortably afford the Toledo's, Cleveland, Kansas Cities, and Rochesters). Of those groupings, I think Rochester punches above its weight.
That's fair. Thanks for taking the time to write. This forum needs more contributions!

That is a good point about the unpretentious, Midwestern feel. I noticed that after visiting family in Ohio who originally lived in Rochester. Actually now that I think of it I think they lived in Greece maybe? One of those suburbs over there.

I do think that cities like Rochester/Buffalo/the Capital Region offer a lot for people who can pay for a modest home ($200K or under) in cash and want decent public schools for their kids. If I was coming from NYC or Boston and wanted to stay in the northeast, these cities would be at the top of my list. Because at that point the property taxes are all you need to worry about.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Quote:
That's fair. Thanks for taking the time to write. This forum needs more contributions!

That is a good point about the unpretentious, Midwestern feel. I noticed that after visiting family in Ohio who originally lived in Rochester. Actually now that I think of it I think they lived in Greece maybe? One of those suburbs over there.

I do think that cities like Rochester/Buffalo/the Capital Region offer a lot for people who can pay for a modest home ($200K or under) in cash and want decent public schools for their kids. If I was coming from NYC or Boston and wanted to stay in the northeast, these cities would be at the top of my list. Because at that point the property taxes are all you need to worry about.
Thanks. Honestly, this site wears me out. There used to be a bunch of regular contributors here, including myself. Most have stopped posting, I think due to the format, which isn't conducive to honest debate.

I doubt I'm going to post here in the future, it seems like most people here (not you) will attack you for voicing your opinion. Even if its something that should be non-controversial like "we shouldn't be celebrating abortions".

I quit posting here for over a year recently and I'm probably going to do that again after this post. I prefer face-to-face honest debate and real life friendships. Not anonymous people just being nasty to one another. This site brings out the worst in me too! Just not healthy or productive. I thought maybe for winter I'd post a bit but now I'm realizing why I stopped in the first place- this site sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is the capital region hated on here?-trippy-peace-sign-circle-sticker-1.png  

Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Honestly, this site wears me out. There used to be a bunch of regular contributors here, including myself. Most have stopped posting, I think due to the format, which isn't conducive to honest debate.

I doubt I'm going to post here in the future, it seems like most people here (not you) will attack you for voicing your opinion. Even if its something that should be non-controversial like "we shouldn't be celebrating abortions".

I quit posting here for over a year recently and I'm probably going to do that again after this post. I prefer face-to-face honest debate and real life friendships. Not anonymous people just being nasty to one another. This site brings out the worst in me too! Just not healthy or productive. I thought maybe for winter I'd post a bit but now I'm realizing why I stopped in the first place- this site sucks.
I feel where you're coming from. I hope you decide to come back at some point, but I understand if you don't. Thanks for your contributions.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:

In terms of how upstate NY is more boring than cities in the south and midwest? I'm mainly referring to the newer south/midwest "boomtowns". Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta (especially Atlanta), Nashville, Austin, San Antonio, Columbus, Indianapolis are way more fun than Albany/Buffalo/Rochester. Probably in part due to their size, but you also just don't have the miserable grouchy people element in these places either. More economic prosperity and more white collar opportunities too.
Coming from a sunbelt state, I would say that Hudson Valley/CNY people are no more grouchy than any other.

Sure people complain about the cold weather, clouds, and taxes in NY, but in the South and Southwest everyone complains about drought, wildfires, and outsiders moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area