Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

SCHODACK, N.Y. — A State Supreme Court decision has cleared the way for an Amazon distribution center in the Town of Schodack, which will create 800 jobs.

More here: https://www.troyrecord.com/news/loca...7b4cd3090.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 AM

More on this: https://wnyt.com/money/amazon-distri...ounty/5225419/

Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 AM

A couple of articles related to this project...

Amazon distribution center in Schodack appears to be on track: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...-on-track.html

Amazon's $100 million Schodack distribution center faces new legal challenge: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...on-center.html

Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
What's the advantage for them being in Schodack? Are they not tired of all the legal issues they encounter when trying to do business with NYS?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
What's the advantage for them being in Schodack? Are they not tired of all the legal issues they encounter when trying to do business with NYS?
It is likely the location and proximity to the Bos-Wash Corridor, as well as getting a good enough deal for the distribution center.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-19-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
For once NYS was doing the right thing with Amazon in Long Island City. It was that idiot Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and a handful of activists that screwed that deal over. My daughter lives in Astoria and has a business degree and a very good job but she was all set to send Amazon her resume.

NY is doing the right thing in this Schodack location. It's very close to the I-90 / Berkshire Spur interchange that gives trucks access to east and west, with the west being a few miles on the Spur to the Thruway for north and south.

There's a Pilot gas station on 9 that also has a tractor trailer rest stop that's always hopping. There are a couple of other distribution centers in the same area, I believe Hannaford Supermarkets is one of them. The area has almost no retail for several miles in either direction. In fact a couple of the businesses I occasionally stopped in, both closed due to poor access and location. Likewise the residential access to Schodack is a few miles north of this location so it's not really in anyone's backyard.

The issue I see is related to why those retail stores closed. Accessing parking lots and the gas station from the opposite side of the road. The speed limit is 55 and of course people exceed that. Even though Rte 9 has a turn lane in the center it's unreal how many people think that simply being in the turn lane means they can go. Likewise people have a difficult time pulling out and crossing several lanes when turning left. I say this because there have been a number of bad accidents in this stretch of 9, a couple have had fatalaties. Similarly, trucks pulling out in low gear using all the lanes and cars doing 60 has been a problem. IMO the town of Schodack also does a terrible job of keeping their roads, including Rte 9 clean during and after a snowfall. You can literally tell the difference immediately when you cross the line from Schodack to Kinderhook.

The bright side is if you're at all familiar with the area, all you have to do is bypass it on I-90. It intersects 9 both north and south of the proposed site at exits 11 and 12.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
I would agree, wouldn't the tolls associated with the Thruway and the Mass Pike be a detriment to a distribution center? Newburgh and the I 84 corridor allows much greater transportation options toll free as would any location along the I 95 corridor preferably especially in CT.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I would agree, wouldn't the tolls associated with the Thruway and the Mass Pike be a detriment to a distribution center? Newburgh and the I 84 corridor allows much greater transportation options toll free as would any location along the I 95 corridor preferably especially in CT.
Not if this happens: https://www.wfsb.com/news/video-truc...e29ce5a1e.html

Also, I-87 North takes you to the Montreal area toll free. So, the distribution center would be in relatively close proximity to that area, along with the Bos-Wash corridor.

Also, it appears that the Thruway isn't that much of a detriment in regards to distribution centers. Amsterdam has a Target distribution center, Rome has a Family Dollar distribution center, Rite Aid has a distribution center in the Liverpool area and Amazon also has another distribution center in Henrietta. All of these distribution centers are within close proximity to the I-90 portion of the Thruway and I may be forgetting about others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area