Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 AM
mg7 mg7 started this thread

16 posts, read 18,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Good luck with the move! Also, when buying or renting up here, make sure the heating systems are updated. Last thing you want is to be stuck with a house that's got an outdated, inefficient system. Your winter utility bills will go through the roof.

Hopefully in a few weeks the weather won't be in the 20s and 30s like it is today. Also, I'm not sure what route you're taking to get here, but bring some cash for the tolls. The northeast seems to love them.
Thank you
Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind about the heating system and keeping change in my car. I did my masters from SUNY Binghamton so I am aware of the heating bills . Well it will be an expensive place to start with in terms of utilities and property taxes but hopefully I will get used it in few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I noticed in your other posts in other threads that you mentioned that your family is of an Indian background and Menands actually has a relatively high Indian population, while being likely the most diverse suburban district in Upstate NY. It is just north of Albany/west of Troy and is still a reasonable drive to Clifton Park. Where I got the Indian percentage information from: New York Indian Population Percentage School District Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

It is also a district that goes only up to 8th grade, but you have options of going to Shaker High(North Colonie SD), Colonie High(South Colonie SD), Watervliet High, Heatly High(Green Island SD) and Tech Valley Charter High for high school. Shaker has the highest regard out of the “regular” public HS’s, with essentially the order posted is the rank in terms of reputation and results.

Ballston Spa is adjacent to Clifton Park in terms of school districts and is literally several minutes from Saratoga Springs, while being more affordable. It also has a walkable village and access to a small city with more to do. You can also avoid tolls to Clifton Park, but if you need to get to Albany, you are likely taking I-87 and that means tolls. However, if you find employment say at GE or KAPL in Niskayuna, you would avoid tolls.
Yes, my family is from India and it would be great to live around a area where we have other Indian families. I will definitely checkout Menands.
I looked at Ballston area and also realized that houses are little cheaper than Clifton Park and the property tax is also lower. I wonder that it is up north and there won't be many indian families over there. Please correct me if I am wrong. One more problem is if my wife gets a job in Albany then it will be a long drive for her. But I would still consider it until we know where my wife is going to work. If she gets a job in Global Foundries then Ballston will work out perfect.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg7 View Post
Yes, my family is from India and it would be great to live around a area where we have other Indian families. I will definitely checkout Menands.
I looked at Ballston area and also realized that houses are little cheaper than Clifton Park and the property tax is also lower. I wonder that it is up north and there won't be many indian families over there. Please correct me if I am wrong. One more problem is if my wife gets a job in Albany then it will be a long drive for her. But I would still consider it until we know where my wife is going to work. If she gets a job in Global Foundries then Ballston will work out perfect.
I don't think there are as many Indian families in the Ballston Spa SD and that could be something for you to consider, if it is a factor.

Also, keep in mind that the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area is a multinodal metro area. So, not all of the employment is concentrated on just Albany, but Schenectady in its own right has some of the area's major employers as well and they were mentioned earlier. Scotia is literally across the Mohawk River from Schenectady, but in that specific area, Niskayuna has a visible /relatively high Indian population(a little over 2% and Schenectady is about 3.5% likely in part due to the Indo-Guyanese community there). With Nisky, you have to watch taxes again though, but it is one of the area's "best" school districts and some of this can vary by location within the district(i.e.-Old Niskayuna near Schenectady's Upper Union neighborhood). It is also a relatively short drive to Clifton Park.

What would also be nice about Menands is that you would be going in the other direction in terms of the commute, as you would be going away from Albany, while many would be driving in to the city/immediate area for work. It would also allow your wife to be close to employers in the city/immediate area, as well as those in Schenectady or Troy/Rensselaer. Rensselaer has Regeneron, which is a pharmaceutical company and AMRI, a biotech and pharmaceutical company, among others(i.e.-Taconic Biosciences). So, not only does Menands have the cultural community aspect, but its location and very good/diverse school makes it a very viable community to consider.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think there are as many Indian families in the Ballston Spa SD and that could be something for you to consider, if it is a factor.

Also, keep in mind that the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area is a multinodal metro area. So, not all of the employment is concentrated on just Albany, but Schenectady in its own right has some of the area's major employers as well and they were mentioned earlier. Scotia is literally across the Mohawk River from Schenectady, but in that specific area, Niskayuna has a visible /relatively high Indian population(a little over 2% and Schenectady is about 3.5% likely in part due to the Indo-Guyanese community there). With Nisky, you have to watch taxes again though, but it is one of the area's "best" school districts and some of this can vary by location within the district(i.e.-Old Niskayuna near Schenectady's Upper Union neighborhood). It is also a relatively short drive to Clifton Park.

What would also be nice about Menands is that you would be going in the other direction in terms of the commute, as you would be going away from Albany, while many would be driving in to the city/immediate area for work. It would also allow your wife to be close to employers in the city/immediate area, as well as those in Schenectady or Troy/Rensselaer. Rensselaer has Regeneron, which is a pharmaceutical company and AMRI, a biotech and pharmaceutical company, among others(i.e.-Taconic Biosciences). So, not only does Menands have the cultural community aspect, but its location and very good/diverse school makes it a very viable community to consider.
Thank you for all this information. This is really helpful.
Appreciate you guys taking out time and help me with my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area