Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,011 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Saratoga Springs from Washington County but my lease is up in July. Is it crazy impractical hoping to find an apartment to rent in Saratoga during racing season? I would be looking for a place downtown, so I'm wondering how many places will even be available with so many extra people in town doing the short-term rental thing. Anyone here have any experience with finding an apartment in Saratoga Springs during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,011 times
Can anyone here help me out?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Good source to search for apartments: https://www.rentersguidealbany.com/

Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,043 times
Default Apartments Might Present A Challenge

Racing season is starting in mid July this year. I would think hotels and condos might be booked to capacity, but not sure about apartments. Check https://www.apartments.com/saratoga-county-ny. Good luck! : )

Old 06-25-2019, 06:15 AM

150 posts, read 300,647 times
I would also suggest looking on Craig's List. I know people here in Saratoga Springs who list apartments and houses there for rent. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
OP, Saratoga Springs downtown will be so packed with people during track season. One other possibility is apartment sharing. Amazing place, despite the crowds.
Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:50 AM

334 posts, read 188,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallan View Post
I'm considering moving to Saratoga Springs from Washington County but my lease is up in July. Is it crazy impractical hoping to find an apartment to rent in Saratoga during racing season? I would be looking for a place downtown, so I'm wondering how many places will even be available with so many extra people in town doing the short-term rental thing. Anyone here have any experience with finding an apartment in Saratoga Springs during the summer?
The website www.trulia.com has tons of apartments for Saratoga. When you go to the site just put in Saratoga Springs NY and the apartments will pop right up...Good Luck

Last edited by Propop; 06-30-2019 at 02:59 AM..

Old 10-09-2023, 09:38 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I guess this can go here, as it is planned for the town of Milton, SW of the city.

Developer plans 500 apartments in Saratoga County: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...velopment.html

"Malta Development Co. Inc. of Ballston Spa wants to construct more than 500 apartments and several mixed-use buildings on 32 acres off Rowland Street in Milton.

The company is seeking town approval to build ten residential apartment buildings, one clubhouse with pool, four mixed-use buildings, and three pad sites, along with a dog park and walking trails.

The total proposed development would include 507 apartment units and 50,000 square feet commercial space.

The proposed project site is located on wooded land at Rowland Street and Trieble Avenue, north of the Mavis Tire and a Sunmark Credit Union branch.

The developer, under an LLC, Malta Land Co., bought the almost-32-acre site for $4.75 million in Nov. 2022, according to county property records.

It's a little over a mile from Winner's Circle at Saratoga, a large townhouse-style apartment complex that the developer built in phases and then sold last year for $200 million to Aker Cos., a commercial real estate investor in Dutchess County.

Plans for the new project were filed with the Milton Planning Department over the summer under the name Milton Town Centre, and it was further discussed at a planning board meeting last month.

Malta Development President Tom Samascott, who was not immediately available for comment, is working on the project with Joseph Dannible of The Environmental Design Partnership.

They also asked the town board to rezone about 6 acres of the land — currrently classified as an airport district — to a town center district with the rest of the property.

The site is adjacent to the Saratoga County Airport, near a Hannaford and Dunkin'. It's near the center of Milton, a growing Saratoga County town that has seen it's population jump by 28%, to 18,800, since 1990.

Over the past 30 years, Malta Development Co. has built more than 600 apartments and about 1,200 homes in Saratoga County."

Also, just outside of the city in the town of Wilton...Community weighs about re-imagining of the Wilton Mall: https://www.saratogian.com/2023/10/0...e-wilton-mall/

"People packed into the Wilton Town Hall for the monthly Town Board meeting ready to share their opinions on the Wilton Mall project that aims to revitalize the space by adding residential units in two phases — the first being apartments immediately adjacent to the Mall and the second being three-story townhomes in the northeast corner of the property.

Currently in the community review phase of the project, at the last Town Board meeting in September, a public hearing was requested and set for the October meeting so that members of the public could come out and express their support, feedback or disapproval of the project which many Wilton residents took advantage of.

To open the discussion, Mike Shaffer, the General Manager of the Wilton Mall, came forward to share some words with those in attendance at the meeting. He shared that it isn’t just the Wilton Mall that is facing issues, and malls across the country are looking into ways to convert their properties into mixed-use destinations.

“The ultimate outcome is increased property values, reduced vacancies and a boost in sales tax revenue,” Shaffer shared. “The proposed unit development district at the Wilton Mall restricts the residential development to a designated multifamily zone at the property’s East End of the campus with a maximum density of units totaling 400.

“This ensures that the Mall will transform into a residential campus while preserving its retail character. The news about the proposed redevelopment of the mall already piqued the interest of new brands including an innovative fitness concept and a fresh theater operator eager to breathe life into the center and occupy available space.”

One person who shared his overwhelming support for the project was Johnathon Locke, the owner of Salty Buns restaurant that opened in the Mall in June. He explained the reason the location was picked wasn’t for strategic reasons but it was, as he described it, the “untapped potential” embedded within the initiative to redo the mall.

“What truly sets this project apart is its capacity to offer employment prospects on numerous fronts from the skilled labor that would be necessary during the construction to the countless positions needed to support the residents and businesses within this new complex,” Locke shared during his speech. “We’re talking about the possibility of substantial, sustained enhancement to our local job market.

“Let us be unequivocal, it is not merely about increasing tax revenue for our town, it is about resurrecting not only the mall but also the very spirit of what Wilton was, we aim to breathe new life into our physical surroundings and invigorate the hearts and minds of our fellow residents and business owners.”

Duance Hendershot, store director at the Healthy Living Market in the Wilton Mall, also spoke at the meeting in support of the project – sharing that the revitalization would start a positive snowball effect.

“If this revitalization effort is not passed I hate to see what would happen to the site — I foresee further deterioration followed by a sale of the property to who knows who for who knows what,” Hendershot said. “Why gamble on what will happen when there’s a perfectly good plan in place? A plan that will help to revitalize a tired old mall and make it viable again.

“It’s a win for the local business. It’s a win for the community. It’s a win for Wilton.”

It wasn’t just the people who work at the mall who spoke in favor.

Be it people reflecting on visiting the mall frequently in their childhoods and wanting to see something done with the space where so many treasured memories took place, those highlighting the downward trend of malls across the country and seeing this as an effort to save the space, or those who enjoy the fact that this project would help allow Saratoga PLAN to secure the Conservation Easement on the Vincek Farm making it a “Forever Farm” many people spoke out in support of the project.

Katy Rusate shared at the meeting that remembered attending her very first in-theater movie at the Wilton Mall — and despite moving out of state for a bit she inevitably ended up moving back to the area with her husband. She acknowledged a lot has changed since her childhood, the reason she chose to move to Wilton instead of Saratoga was because of the school district, low taxes and the safe and inviting neighborhoods.

“The mall itself, not the shops within it, is the product the consumer actually consumes and although COVID did destroy a lot of businesses, it created a demand for community and the mall is a place where our residents and visitors can mingle,” Rusate said. “People in businesses want to go to malls where there are people.

“This project will bring those people, it will reinvent unused space and I believe will bring a greater sense of community to Wilton.”

Of course, just as there were people in the audience there were people in attendance at the meeting who were against the development.

Some sourced issues with the information being provided, and requested more concrete accessible facts, some brought up the argument that instead of luxury apartments they would love to see more working-class housing being put in since such a big pro for the project seems to be providing stable housing for those who work/wish to work in the area, and some discussed how they don’t think putting residential units in a commercial area is a good idea.

Scott Kingsley, a 50-year resident in the area was clear he was very opposed to the project because he does not think a planned unit development (PUD) is the appropriate way to go about revitalizing the mall.

“The problem is, when you open the door, the door never closes – what happens when the rest of the mall continues to struggle?” Kingsley proposed during his speech. “We know what’s going to happen, they’re gonna want more residential when other parts of the mall fail. Lowe’s is a company that’s had financial problems in the past.

“If they go out of business, why can’t that property owner have residential? What happens if Barnes and Noble goes out of business? Why can’t they have residential? So I am against the urbanization of this town — If you want to look like Saratoga Springs, the problems of Saratoga Springs will follow.”

Another person who shared his disapproval for the project was Chad Jerome who called the project as a whole, “a ruse.” He explained that he did not see how the idea of this project and adding residential is somehow going to turn around the mall and make it forever be well.

“We don’t have a town property tax for our residents for our retail property for a reason,” Jerome said. “If you start diluting that and putting residential properties on commercial property – when the mall unfortunately fails, which I hope it doesn’t, but if it does, what’s going to happen? It’s going to be less desirable for other commercial developers.

“I think developers will say, ‘Well, I’m already here, let me build more’ and you’re going to dilute the sales tax revenue. Eventually, whether you like it or not, you’ll have a town property tax that’s going to affect every single resident of the town of Wilton in their pocket.”

Following the conclusion of the public hearing John McEachron, a Wilton Town Board Councilman, took some time to share his take on the project with those in the audience. He shared that he has been working with the project for about two years and explained a lot of what was heard at the public comment could be linked back to him and others sitting down with the Mall to discuss the project.

McEachron shared he was actually in favor of the project, however, he said there had to be something in it for Wilton.

“Traffic is not my issue, school is not my issue, following the roads is not my issue – all those things are great, but what’s in it for Wilton when we’re changing zoning to a110-acre PUD that can never get brought back, can never change back. What do we get out of it? It’s got to be a public benefit.” McEachron said. “So I just want everybody in the area to know this is something that we’re working on heavily.

“I want to do this for the betterment of Wilton. We’ll need to get something out of it.”

Following the meeting, Shaffer shared he was very appreciative of the turnout and he estimated that there were more supporters in the audience than those who were against the project.

“I’m very pleased with the supporters that turned out for us tonight and the amount of knowledge that they had on the project,” Shaffer said. “Very pleased with that turnout and we will see where it goes from here. The website has all the facts and what I shared today was facts, not speculation.”

The next step for this project is appearing in front of the planning board on Oct. 18 and then will return to the Wilton Town Board on Nov. 2 where the board will make a final determination. If everything goes according to plan and the project is approved in November, Retail Store demolition and mall wing restoration will begin in the winter of 2023 with site work beginning in 2024 and construction of the apartments beginning that summer.

More information about the re-imagining of the Wilton Mall is available at https://www.reimaginewiltonmall.com/home "

Here is a picture of the rendering of the apartment plan for that property: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...ate=2023-10-09

Keep in mind that Saratoga County has been one of the fastest growing counties in the state and the fastest growing county in Upstate NY in recent years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarato...k#Demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area