Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 09:56 AM

96 posts, read 93,991 times

Advertisements

Just for giggles, I did some comparisons on the cost of an "upscale" 1 bedroom apartment in the downtown or near downtown areas of Syracuse, Utica and Albany.

Surprisingly (to me), I found prices higher in Syracuse and Utica - than in Albany. Albany was the lowest and I expected it to be the highest - due to household incomes in the area.

Any guesses as to why this might be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:13 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBottomBlues View Post
Just for giggles, I did some comparisons on the cost of an "upscale" 1 bedroom apartment in the downtown or near downtown areas of Syracuse, Utica and Albany.

Surprisingly (to me), I found prices higher in Syracuse and Utica - than in Albany. Albany was the lowest and I expected it to be the highest - due to household incomes in the area.

Any guesses as to why this might be?

Thanks!
Yes, this is surprising and interesting given that overall cost of living is lower in Syracuse and Utica. In fact, Utica has the lowest overall cost of living of any Upstate NY metro area and is in line with many affordable/"not as popular" Southern areas in that regard.

Where did you look to compare, by the way?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:06 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
The new upscale loft/one bed apartments they build everywhere now are so overpriced, even if the area is majority lower-middle class income. Basically any new building in a downtown/walkable neighborhood is like that.

I'd imagine a place like Utica could get away with charging a lot of rent for anything upscale since so much of the rentals over there are dumpy. Not sure for the Syracuse market.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
I wonder if this is perhaps that urban living in Syracuse and I guess Utica is concentrated in the downtowns, while Albany may have more upscale urban apartments around Lark Street?

I would be interested in how prices in Troy compare?

Old 12-31-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I wonder if this is perhaps that urban living in Syracuse and I guess Utica is concentrated in the downtowns, while Albany may have more upscale urban apartments around Lark Street?

I would be interested in how prices in Troy compare?
Good questions...I think you are on to something with the first question with the only exception being that a lot of the building in Syracuse are student geared apartments in and around University Hill. That was why I was curious as to which apartments in each of these cities is the OP comparing, as things may not be as cut and dry for newer, urban apartments. There are also apartments in the Franklin Square area, technically NW of Downtown Syracuse, with some on North Salina/Little Italy and even Tipperary Hill(St. Patrick’s Lofts).

I honestly have a very hard time believing that the newer “upscale” urban apartments in Utica are more expensive than Albany or Syracuse.

Troy seems to be more about renovated row house apartments. So, that may be something else to consider between these cities.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 PM

I'm not finding prices on the site now, I think they were there previously...just a little surprised at what they were asking, given the location of the building.

https://www.thedoyleutica.com

Old 01-04-2020, 06:59 PM

and yes, the loft apartments I was looking at in SYR and Utica, were in downtown locations, whereas the one I found for the Albany area was in Cohoes.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
and yes, the loft apartments I was looking at in SYR and Utica, were in downtown locations, whereas the one I found for the Albany area was in Cohoes.
That makes a big difference.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I'm not finding prices on the site now, I think they were there previously...just a little surprised at what they were asking, given the location of the building.

https://www.thedoyleutica.com
This building is in the Baggs Square area of the city, which is an area of Utica that has seen investment/interest in recent years. It is also right across the street from the train station(Union Station). Bagg's Square awards nomination page

This is a building in Downtown Albany: https://steubenplaceapartments.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-08-2020 at 05:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area