Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 04:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times

Advertisements

^^ I think NY should have at least these ten official sub regions

look at how many Florida has

New York has 62 counties. There are many smaller places in NY that are not covered as it is
and some not clear as to regions informally grouped

The ten official regions are an improvement in my opinion because they cover the whole state formally but ideally
it would, just say "New York" here
and then when you clicked on it there would be a list of the 62 counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 07:19 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
For the longest, people have been asking for a Hudson Valley forum and given that the region has a top 100 metro area in the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metropolitan area, as well as the Kingston metropolitan area, there should at least be a Hudson Valley forum.

Also, a lot of regions overlap or you have counties that are or can be put into multiple regions/subregions.

BTW-Wouldn’t be surprised if this gets moved to the general section of the NY forum.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

^^ I think NY should have at least these ten official sub regions

look at how many Florida has

New York has 62 counties. There are many smaller places in NY that are not covered as it is
and some not clear as to regions informally grouped

The ten official regions are an improvement in my opinion because they cover the whole state formally but ideally
it would, just say "New York" here
and then when you clicked on it there would be a list of the 62 counties
I agree that the state should have groupings by region.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:09 PM

180 posts, read 214,881 times
I agree. I live in Putnam County (formerly lived in Dutchess). All I can do is try to convince the Westchester board that I'm one of them, or post in the general NY State board where most people don't even know what Putnam County is. Hudson Valley or Greater NYC Metro would be immensely helpful and I am sure that there are many people in Putnam/Dutchess/Rockland/Orange/Ulster area who would appreciate it as well.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:43 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley, North Country would get basically no activity IMO. I'd have to see how many posts exist on a couple of the smaller FL ones but FL at least has the advantage of being a massive tourism and retirement destination so more subforums for them on a relocation forum does make sense.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley, North Country would get basically no activity IMO. I'd have to see how many posts exist on a couple of the smaller FL ones but FL at least has the advantage of being a massive tourism and retirement destination so more subforums for them on a relocation forum does make sense.
From what I can tell of the Florida board and subforums, most relate to Floridian cities or encompass a radius around those cities. When you look at a map of Florida, the subforums essentially blanket the state. That brings me back to the NY forums: the good people living anywhere in the Albany-Syracuse-Westchester triangle -- a good chunk of the state -- have no subforum nor do any of the existing subforums blanket their area. Someone from Livingston Manor seeking a fairly local resource would be SOL.

Thinking out loud -- is it difficult to create subforums?

Old 03-20-2020, 06:23 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
The map looks fine, with one exception. I believe that Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Alleghany should be grouped with the Southern Tier. Just looking on the map, they are more ST than western NY. I think the cities along I 86 would be stronger together. Collectively almost a million strong.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
^That is up for debate, as the schools in those counties are in the same section as the Erie and Niagara County schools, but this is an example of how certain counties can be considered for multiple regions.

Here is the Sectional map from the New York State Public High School Sports Association(NYSPHSAA): NYSPHSAA > About NYSPHSAA > General Information > Sections Map

Even this map is a little shaky, as where sections 3,4 and 5 meet(Cayuga County), most of it is actually in Section 3(Auburn, Port Byron, Weedsport, Cato-Meridian and parts of the Hannibal SD based in Oswego County, Jordan-Elbridge and Skaneateles in Onondaga County in the county). So, it should really have most or half of it shaded for Sec. 3(Union Springs, Moravia, Southern Cayuga and I believe a portion of the Groton SD based in Tompkins County are in Section 4 within that county). Red Creek is the only Section 5 SD partially in that county. Same in regards to SE Steuben County not being in Section 4 on the map, when that area is essentially the Corning(City)-Painted Post SD, which plays in Section 4.

Anyway, the point of using the Sectional map is to show how regions can vary depending on the map and state association involved.

Also, another reason why Cattaraugus (and Chautauqua) can be viewed as WNY is because Cattaraugus County is in the Buffalo Combined Statistical Area(CSA) due to having enough commuter interchange into Erie County(15-25% of commuters, 25% puts you in the metro area).

Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I agree. Downstate and Upstate are totally different in every aspect.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:10 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I haven't heard of half of those Florida places. I just think Miami, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Keys and places where people retire, Tallahassee... I learned about Jacksonville from my girlfriend lol...

NY forum should be more thorough. I'd be interested in what people in North County and Finger Lakes have to say, such beautiful areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area