Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 08:44 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

“Albany won't be mistaken for Los Angeles or New York City, but new data from the Census shows the region's population is beginning to look a little more diverse.

At the same time, the data shows a concerning trend when it comes to the age of the region's population.”

More here: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n..._news_headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Hopefully the increased share of those 65 or older will bring new employment opportunities for those in the healthcare sector.

I really think RPI is underutilized in terms of corporate partnerships and helping students get high paying jobs right in the Albany area after graduation. I know they do a decent job in that sense right now, but I think it could be better. We have so many higher education institutions in the immediate area; I hope employers understand the value that brings in doing business there.

Plenty of people, including myself, think the tax laws can be changed to help incentivize small business/tech start ups in the region, but with so many graduate level students being pumped out of the local colleges, you'd think private companies would want to compromise a little on tax advantages so they have an easier time recruiting top talent.

A lot of factors at play but I don't think the increased share of 65+ members is a major concern.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 8,795 times
Just walk around any local grocery store in the Capital District metro area and you will see it is filled with greyheads. The graduates leave and increasingly what remains are those who were starting families here in the 1960s and 70s. Thank NY Downstate Dem controlled politics...Capital District will never reach its potential because of it.

The one bright spot may be that with all of the serious problems in NYC, which are only getting worse and the ability of more to work from home/telecommute, Capital District may see some return of the Upstaters who moved Downstate to start their careers. I have to believe more and more want to get the hell out of there.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. View Post
Just walk around any local grocery store in the Capital District metro area and you will see it is filled with greyheads. The graduates leave and increasingly what remains are those who were starting families here in the 1960s and 70s. Thank NY Downstate Dem controlled politics...Capital District will never reach its potential because of it.

The one bright spot may be that with all of the serious problems in NYC, which are only getting worse and the ability of more to work from home/telecommute, Capital District may see some return of the Upstaters who moved Downstate to start their careers. I have to believe more and more want to get the hell out of there.
Ironically, it is a metro area that has had some steady population growth in recent decades.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 8,795 times
Interesting, how steady? Well I've always said unlike the other western Upstate NY cities that were manufacturing towns that have been in steady decline since the 80s, the Capital District has the safety net of being the State's Capitol. The area is primarily driven by three sectors: Government, Healthcare and Education. It will stay in a steady state unless NYS has major budget shortfalls because companies and white collar professionals start exiting NYC in droves, driven out by the increasing crime and lawlessnes, lack of personal and health safety, and ever increasing taxes...so far it hasn't happened.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. View Post
Interesting, how steady? Well I've always said unlike the other western Upstate NY cities that were manufacturing towns that have been in steady decline since the 80s, the Capital District has the safety net of being the State's Capitol. The area is primarily driven by three sectors: Government, Healthcare and Education. It will stay in a steady state unless NYS has major budget shortfalls because companies and white collar professionals start exiting NYC in droves, driven out by the increasing crime and lawlessnes, lack of personal and health safety, and ever increasing taxes...so far it hasn't happened.
The other Upstate metros have those industries minus the state government or at least to the same degree.

I'm referring to the population, which has steadily grown: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...?metroid=10580
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany...k#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schene...k#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarato...k#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rensse...k#Demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area