Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 02:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
What are some nice areas outside of Saratoga which are ideal for retirees? Looking for a decent piece of land near water.
Tampa? Charleston? Myrtle Beach? Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 05:09 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
What are some nice areas outside of Saratoga which are ideal for retirees? Looking for a decent piece of land near water.
I don’t know if Ellwood is still around, but he is a retiree that lives outside of the city. Look around Saratoga Lake, but hopefully someone will chime in with more specific information.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:29 PM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Tampa? Charleston? Myrtle Beach? Asheville?
https://youtu.be/5YztNYiZrzo

Old 06-14-2022, 02:38 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Quote:
How far outside of Saratoga are you willing to consider? South of SS, Malta & Ballston (town of, Lake, and Spa) are all more affordable than the Springs, but even they are going up. If you don't mind being a bit north, Wilton & Greenfield Ctr are nice. For my taste, if I'm going to be any farther north than the capital district, I may as well make the leap and look to Lake Luzerne, or Washington County to the east towards Vermont.

There are smaller lakes in the region that may be more affordable depending on how far from the city of Saratoga you can be. Round Lake, Lake Desolation, Galway Lake and Mariaville Lake are a few that come to mind.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:42 AM

Three homes on Nelson Ave approved: https://foothillsbusinessdaily.com/t...-ave-approved/

Homelessness forum draws crowd and frustration: https://foothillsbusinessdaily.com/h...d-frustration/

6 Festive Galas Coming to Saratoga in June: https://saratogaliving.com/5-festive-galas-june/

Old 06-16-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
This may be something to consider...

Outcry as Saratoga Lake public access dropped in latest Malta condo plan: https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...0c7a6fca305390

Old 06-17-2022, 01:30 PM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
How far outside of Saratoga are you willing to consider? South of SS, Malta & Ballston (town of, Lake, and Spa) are all more affordable than the Springs, but even they are going up. If you don't mind being a bit north, Wilton & Greenfield Ctr are nice. For my taste, if I'm going to be any farther north than the capital district, I may as well make the leap and look to Lake Luzerne, or Washington County to the east towards Vermont.

There are smaller lakes in the region that may be more affordable depending on how far from the city of Saratoga you can be. Round Lake, Lake Desolation, Galway Lake and Mariaville Lake are a few that come to mind.
I put Saratoga out there as we liked the downtown area but don't have to live nearby. We aren't adverse to looking elsewhere. I like the counties between the Hudson and the VT and MA lines but have not looked there yet. I've come to learn my oldest plans on buying a house on Long Island while my youngest is planning on staying in the Albany area.

Ideally, I would like to be no more than 4ish hours from the one on LI. We use the Bridgeport ferry to circumvent NYC traffic. As a point of reference -- it is 2.5 hours (137 miles) from the NYS Capital Building to the Bridgeport ferry terminal, so I would be good going another hour north.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:06 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don’t know if Ellwood is still around, but he is a retiree that lives outside of the city. Look around Saratoga Lake, but hopefully someone will chime in with more specific information.
Building around Saratoga Lake has ramped up tremendously, along with cost. I live about 10 miles outside the city, in the country, 3 acres, peaceful. Land has been selling with homes being built, many beautiful modular. Check out some towns along the Hudson, drive Route 29 from Saratoga into Washington County, check out Route 61 from NY to VT. Drive Route 4 south from Schuylerville, take 146 into Malta and Halfmoon.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:51 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Quote:
Ideally, I would like to be no more than 4ish hours from the one on LI. We use the Bridgeport ferry to circumvent NYC traffic. As a point of reference -- it is 2.5 hours (137 miles) from the NYS Capital Building to the Bridgeport ferry terminal, so I would be good going another hour north.
Ahh...I'm sort of in the reverse of that right now, looking to relocate to CT. While NYS will always have a place in my heart, CT offers a bit milder climate (not by much, but a few growing zones better) and equally beautiful scenery, each state having pluses and minuses.

I like Ellwood's suggestion of southern Saratoga County. My friend bought a home on the Hudson River in Halfmoon. It may not be a lake, but her section of waterfront is absoultely gorgeous and offers distinct beauty in all four seasons. The home is really nice too and she paid substantially less than what it would have cost her on a lakefront. Since it's upriver of the capital district, it's plenty clean enough to swim in if she chooses. She just put in a new dock and an easy pleasure boat. Last week I watched the bald eagles fishing. The added bonus is just relaxing & watching the boats go by from literally all over the world. I never would have considered a river for a waterfront home, but that stretch of the river ticks off all the boxes & is worth a look, imo.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times
Lol I was standing in that spot literally 15 minutes before this happened. I just missed witnessing it.

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/ar...kvFQoNYEAcdvew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area