U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 15,325 times

Advertisements

I've been researching moving there and I'm attracted to the area so far. Guess I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,669,864 times
It is a computerized list. Do not take Sperling seriously. With Sperlings list and $2 you can go for a ride on the bus. All you have to remember is that Saratoga is 20 miles north of Albany and there is not a better place on earth than Saratoga in the summer. If you have the right opportunity Albany is a place that can work.

Albany did lose manufacturing jobs when GE pulled out. There are many PJ's up there too so those two things might have affected the computer ranking. When you consider the cost of living and the fact that glorious Saratoga is so close, Albany is a gem in NY state.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 12-29-2006 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 AM

10,193 posts, read 25,823,668 times
I've never lived in Albany, but worked there 1/3 of the time. Most of my colleagues lived outside the City; just a few lived in the City, and if I recall correctly they were either senior management or single.

I'd generally stay in a great B&B in the Mansion District (in walking distance to the Governor's place and my office) but still considered iffy. I didn't find it iffy because I lived in NYC and none of the Albany neighbourhoods really seemed more dangerous than those I was walking in regularly.

One or two neighbourhoods were really appealing--townhouses, good restaurants, some fine looking shopping, but other than that I think Albany doesn't seem to offer what the immediate suburban areas seem to offer the folks I know. It has a very bad reputation among those I know and we are talking hundreds of folks not a few. I think its reputation is, like other cities, based on high crime, extreme poverty, loss of industry, etc. I did meet one cab-driver (they are the best judges) who took me on a free guided tour of Albany's past!

And yes, Saratoga is right up the way, and in fact, several times I'd stay there for the ambiance and take the bus into town, or get a co-worker to pick me up early. Saratoga is among the nicer small towns I know, but it is expensive. Many people commute as much as 1hr/10 minutes from places like Greenwich and Balston Spa rather than live in the City.

That's all I know! Good luck and hope you have an idea of a good paying job before you head out.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,519,471 times
The Albany area is nice. The only negatives I can think of for Albany compared to the other three big Upstate metros are:

1. More criminals from NYC move to Albany than the other three Upstate metros due to it's proximity to NYC.

2. Albany lacks the big time sports. It only has AHL Hockey while Buffalo has NFL, NHL, Triple A baseball. Rochester has Soccer, AHL Hockey, Lacrosse and Triple A baseball. Syracuse has College Syracuse Football in the Carrier Dome, Syracuse Basketball in the Carrier Dome, AHL Hockey, and Triple A baseball.

3. No Wegmans in Albany. Wegmans is rated the top Grocery store in the nation. Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all have Wegmans.

4. Since Albany is the Capital and it's made up of four main cities...Albany-Schenectady-Troy-Saratoga Springs, it lacks the hometown pride and the united feel that exist in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. It's nicknamed the Capital District because none of the cities in the Albany area truly represent the region. Unlike in the other three Upstate metros where there's a strong central focus on it's major city.

5. Albany's Northway has bad traffic. Compared to the other Upstate metros, Albany's roads can be congested.

6. This could be good or bad depending on who you are. The only reason I mention it is because some people in North Carolina forum complain about it. Albany attracts many more New Jersey and NYC transplants than the other three big upstate metros. So if you are looking to get away from the people on the Coast, the Albany area may not be the best choice.

Of course Albany has a few positives like Albany only averages 66 inches of snow. That's just about how much snow Denver gets in a year. Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse get lake effect and average 30+ more inches of snow than Albany each year. The Albany area is also the fastest growing region in Upstate NY. Since 2000, the Albany MSA has grown about 25,000 in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area