U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM

306 posts, read 1,543,634 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

We're finally getting up to the Saratoga Springs area this summer--been wanting to check it out for many years.

We'll be traveling with our two younger kids--very playful 2- and 4-year-old boys. So we've got the swimming/throwing endless rocks in the water thing covered. (Plus lots of dirt-digging, wrestling, ice-cream eating, no-overly-planned-events/just-let-things-happen time, etc.) Both boys love trains. So: is the Adirondacks train near Saratoga Springs and feasible and affordable?

The boys will love all the horse things and themes. Money permitting, we'll take a ride on a big boat on Lake George, too. But can you recommend anything else that will capture their curiosity?

Is it difficult to get into the racetrack for the practice-run breakfasts they host/allow there? Do we have to be there super early to stand in line?

Also, since we're likely to add this area to our may-move-to list, and likely couldn't afford to buy in Saratoga Springs itself, what cities, towns, and villages around Saratoga Springs would you suggest we check out? (We prefer places that have that often-impossible combination of NOT overly "developed"--quaint to the point of ossified, in fact--AND, at the same time, culturally & economically healthy, or at least not-declining.)

Finally, any cautions we should heed? I've seen some iffy-ness posted about parts of Ballston Spa. What parts, exactly? Any other parts of any other cities or towns around there we should *not* go strolling around?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 14,669,435 times
Visit Saratoga! Vacation, Racing, Tourism & Local Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs, NY, Saratoga County & The Surrounding Region
You might find some ideas that appeal to you at this website.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,743 times
It is a very beautiful area. I grew up there living in several different areas around Saratoga Springs. You might be surprised at what you can find for a somewhat affordable price. Greenfield and their surrounding areas are nice. It all depends on how far you want to drive to go shopping, etc. As far as I know Wilton still doesn't have any property taxes on residential properties and the students go to Saratoga Schools. Personally I would find an area where my kids would go to the Saratoga Springs school district. That gives you many options that should be affordable - depending on how big of a house/piece of property you want. I'm not sure that I would go to Ballston Spa to live - although you could probably save some $$'s.

For your vacation - most likely if you want to eat in the track restaurant you will not have to stand in line at the track. I can't recall if you need reservations, but you should be able to find out by going to the NYRA website. If you bring your own breakfast there is no line and you can sit whereever you want, including the box seats the horseowners sit in during the meet.

The Adirondack train is not that far from Saratoga, I think it might be less than an 1 1/2 hours, depends on the station you go to. You sort of have to go off the beaten path to get there. You could also try the Upper Hudson River Railroad from North Creek (maybe less than 1 hour to get there) - they have a Thomas the train for one of their rides (Scenic Train Rides beside the Hudson River, in the Adirondack Mountains : Upper Hudson River Railroad).

If you like Barbeque go to PJ's for their ribs (PJ's BAR-B-Q Saratoga NY). Some of the best. Depending on when you go there might be a rodeo going on in Lake Luzerne at the Painted Pony - about 1/2 from Saratoga (Painted Pony Rodeo - Lake Luzerne, NY) - I recommend dressing for cooler weather, we went in early September last year and it was cold out. They also have barbeque prior to the rodeo.

There really is alot to do there. Enjoy your trip and if there is anything you want to know about that you see let me know, if I know anything about it I will give you whatever details I have.

Sorry tried to post the websites and am not sure how to keep them as a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area