U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM

25 posts, read 70,741 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a job at Albany medical center. We live in Boston, like to walk to shops etc...to restaurants...as well as cook...what is the local food scene like? local farmers markets.... we also like the outdoors, are used to cold winters...any comments on the young couples/early family scene in the Albany area
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM

109 posts, read 385,340 times
What is the deal .. AMC having a hiring fest or what?

I know of a couple farmers markets one is either on the Concourse (inside) or on top of the Empire State Plaza, Wednesdays until 2pm I think. There' another guy that sells right on the point of Madison and Delaware. Not sure of the times he's there, although he usually has a wide varity of stuff and makes good bargains.

I'd advise against moving here. Apartments are over sub-divided, out of town landlords, run down buildings/house, NYC rents. albany.craigslists.org/apa that'll give you an idea of HOW you'll get ripped off. And if you own a house or buying on in these area be prepared to be taxed to death. And .. with extravagant cost of utilities. Did I mention the streets are crap .. extreme crap. The surface of the moon is in better shape then the streets here and the city doesn't really care. I've already lost on tire, sidewall got tore on a pothole that had been report over and over and they neglected to fill it for roughtly 4 months.

Stay in Boston .. or .. avoid New York State all together!!

S T A Y A W A Y ! ! !

If all goes right .. I'll be in Indianapolis soooooon!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Anybody have any contrary comments?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 AM

5,720 posts, read 5,977,526 times
lol yes I have a contrary comment.... maybe real estate is expensive, but this area is growing so housing is a great investment in spite of the national housing problem.

This poster has posted the same thing over and over on many threads. While Albany has one of the worst "team spirits" I've ever seen, it's an old city with a lot of history. Great skiing in Vermont and Massachusetts is close by, hiking in the Adirondacks is close by, Boston and NYC are close by, any show/ballet you'd want to see comes to Proctors, Saratoga is kicking in the summer, etc.

The streets aren't that bad at all, lol. Or maybe I'm just used to them. Frankly I'd rather live here than in some history-free sprawl-ville like Indianapolis.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
lol yes I have a contrary comment.... maybe real estate is expensive, but this area is growing so housing is a great investment in spite of the national housing problem.

This poster has posted the same thing over and over on many threads. While Albany has one of the worst "team spirits" I've ever seen, it's an old city with a lot of history. Great skiing in Vermont and Massachusetts is close by, hiking in the Adirondacks is close by, Boston and NYC are close by, any show/ballet you'd want to see comes to Proctors, Saratoga is kicking in the summer, etc.

The streets aren't that bad at all, lol. Or maybe I'm just used to them. Frankly I'd rather live here than in some history-free sprawl-ville like Indianapolis.
Somebody needs to take off their rose colored glasses. Do I need to break out the camera and start documenting the condition of albany streets and houses. It's not a problem .. got plenty of room in my photobucket and imageshack accounts. I liked it here when I moved here 12 years ago. It's just been a steady downward spiral since then. More emphasis on downtown and not the neighborhoods that support the city. This city is not growing.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 AM

Thanks Juppiter. What is the social scene like in Albany, everybody seems to mention how close by "pther stuff" is...is there a vibrant downtown? Do people walk around the city?
Thanks for the input

Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms2007 View Post
Thanks Juppiter. What is the social scene like in Albany, everybody seems to mention how close by "pther stuff" is...is there a vibrant downtown? Do people walk around the city?
Thanks for the input
Downtown is only vibrant is your into partying. It only bussles during business hours and after business hours everything closes with the exception of a few ( 3 or less) eateries and the over rated bars. It is pocked with empty store fronts and for commerical rent signs. Back to the ridiculously high rents .. store opt to head out to the suburbs.

People to walk around. Becareful though. Just a few months a go a UAlbany student was assaulted and ended up in a coma. Happend at the hands of local thugs. And this happened in one of the 'Operation Safe Corridor' areas, real safe isn't it. I'd have to say that 60% of the city is safe to walk around. Part of it is not making yourself a target. Those that do things like this prey upon the weak and afraid.

Albany is one of those couldabeen places. It was nice a while back .. but has been neglected for so long that the repair processes would be undescribable!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 36,899 times
Wow, I do have to chuckle about the excitement of moving to Indianapolis...! We're talking about Indianapolis, Indiana, right? Not some secret Indianapolis in Hawaii?

Every city, and I do mean EVERY city will have its good and bad elements. I also find the history and architecture of Albany charming and interesting. Certainly there are some decaying buildings and streets (some encompassing whole neighborhoods), but there's a lot to do both in the city and around the city...as well as lots of unique neighborhoods. Where else can you find a giant, concrete egg?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,977,526 times
Please produce these pictures MrBiggz! Because outside of the ghetto, Albany appears to be a healthy, All-American city to me... I could produce lovely pictures from numerous parts of the city, uptown and downtown alike. I really don't know what you're talking about. Like, if you think Albany is decaying, you really haven't seen decaying. I go to school in Rochester... now that's a city that is decaying.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:02 PM

80 posts, read 341,745 times
After reading this and some other recent threads, MrBiggz seems to have an axe to grind...so maybe not a very accurate source of information. Particulary his comment above about Albany having NYC rents??? He apparently has never seached for an apartment in NYC. Coming from Boston, you will most likely find Albany rental rates extremely cheap.

Sure there are some potholes, particularly this time of year. The same problem occurs in all northeastern cities. Eventually they get filled. And, yes, there are some bad neighborhoods. A problem that plagues every medium to large city across the nation.

I live in a very nice neighborhood within the city of Albany. Very friendly neighbors, well kept homes and the potholes...not really a problem. It's called the Campus Neighborhood. It is along Western Ave near the SUNY uptown campus. The Campus Neighborhood is less than four miles from SUNY, the state office campus, downtown Albany, Wolf Rd., Crossgates Mall, International Semetech facility, St. Peter's Hosp, Albany Medical Ctr. and on and on. Subsequently, current gas prices are not a big issue for me.

Hope this was helpfull and a warning to consider the source. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area