U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 28,984 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are currently living in Florida and are contemplating a move to the Saratoga Springs area. Have two young children so schools would be an issue....how are the schools public versus private....have checked out greatschools.net and it all looks positive......of course getting an opinion from a resident of the area would be greatly appreciated. Are there a lot of child friendly activities taking place such as gymnastics, dance and even Chinese classes? How are winters there? We know that there would be a lot of snow.....does one get cabin fever with the long winter season?
How are the restaurants? I know I am asking for a lot of information but I would certainly appreciate all of your replies. Thanks in advance.

Galwaygal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM

79 posts, read 320,368 times
Saratoga is Great! I live in Schenectady about 30 minutes south. They have great schools, restaurants, shopping, out door life. I don't know any private school up there except the Catholic and it is very good, but you would be fine in public.

I don't know about Chinese Dance, but I would bet somewhere in the Capital District (Troy, Albany, Schenectady) that it exisits.

Winters: Saratoga seems to get a little bit more than Albany. Albany only get about 60 inches on average and it usually comes in forms of storms. It does not snow everyday like Syracuse (they get 120 inches)
Cabin fever will only be an issue if you don't embrace the winter. Ski, (tons of great skiing within 1/2 hour), snowshoe, sled, ice skate. My favorite time of the year to run is the winter. And lets not forget.....cutting down your own Christmas tree!

You will love it!!

We are moving to VA and are very sad to leave the winters behind!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,517,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosette8 View Post
Saratoga is Great! I live in Schenectady about 30 minutes south. They have great schools, restaurants, shopping, out door life. I don't know any private school up there except the Catholic and it is very good, but you would be fine in public.

I don't know about Chinese Dance, but I would bet somewhere in the Capital District (Troy, Albany, Schenectady) that it exisits.

Winters: Saratoga seems to get a little bit more than Albany. Albany only get about 60 inches on average and it usually comes in forms of storms. It does not snow everyday like Syracuse (they get 120 inches)
Cabin fever will only be an issue if you don't embrace the winter. Ski, (tons of great skiing within 1/2 hour), snowshoe, sled, ice skate. My favorite time of the year to run is the winter. And lets not forget.....cutting down your own Christmas tree!

You will love it!!

We are moving to VA and are very sad to leave the winters behind!
Yeah, it snows EVERY day during the winter in Syracuse.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 AM

58 posts, read 189,252 times
Default Saratoga & Surrounding Areas

As in the previous posts it is a beautiful area with friendly and helpful people. The town of Saratoga Springs has many cultural opportunities for your family. The surrounding towns and villages have excellent schools and moderately priced housing.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM

69 posts, read 223,281 times
Saratoga Springs has always held a special place in my heart! I grew up in Gloversville, 45 miles west of Saratoga and it not only has a lot to offer culturally but also has a lot of the Arts. I now live by Sarasota, Florida and we have the same, culture and the Arts, I guess that is why I ended up here. However, I still have family in the area and get there once in a while, usually visit in August so I can go to the beautiful Track. Winters aren't that bad in Saratoga, as I use to travel at all different times of the year back and forth to New Hampshire. If you need a referral (Realtor) for the Saratoga area, I still have friends, please let me know. When people come to Florida they usually go to the east coast but don't forget to visit the Gulfcoast as well. Best wishes.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:00 AM

8 posts, read 28,984 times
Much obliged to you all for your very informative repiles. CraftLadyKim - we are living near Venice.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area