U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 PM

154 posts, read 654,715 times

Advertisements

We're looking at relocating to Saratoga Springs. Because housing prices there are a bit high, we are also looking into Burnt Hills, where we have seen some decent houses (online). I've heard the schools are good but don't know anything else about Burnt Hills. Can anyone charecterize it for me? semi-rural? Suburban? We're looking for a place where it would be easy for kids to acclimate and make friends, so we don't particularly want to be anywhere where you have to drive too far to get places/meet people (that's part of the appeal of Saratoga Springs - looks like there is enough going on that one could meet people easily).

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM

267 posts, read 905,883 times
My dad grew up in Burnt Hills and I still have an aunt there. I live in Sch'dy. I guess I'd consider Burnt Hills to be suburban to rural, middle to upper middle class for the most part. There are stores and businesses along Rt. 50, beyond that neighborhoods and farms. It's a nice area, a wide range of types of homes, good schools. I think with your kids in school and all the activities offered, your family wouldn't have a hard time meeting people. There are lots of things going on in Saratoga, Ballston Spa to the north & Schenectady & Scotia to the south. I don't know specifically what is going on in Burnt Hills, so you may have to drive 10-20 minutes for larger events.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM

154 posts, read 654,715 times
thanks very much for the info - I appreciate it.

My kids are pre-school age so that's the concern - lots of things to do and people to meet in a large city (where we currenty live) but I don't know how easy it would be in a more suburban or semi-rural area. Once they are in school I know it would be easy to socialize but I don't want them (or us) to feel isolated until then.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 AM

267 posts, read 905,883 times
My oldest in in kindergarten, then a 4 yr old, 19 mo old, and one due in August; so I know what you mean...I'm so darn busy w/kid stuff my house is a mess and I rarely have dinner ready. Anyways I'm so busy because there is so much to do. I'm a member of a moms' group and we are constantly going on field trips, going to playgrounds, etc. Also w/the craft group, book club and moms' nights out us moms get to socialize alot on our own too. There is also from what I hear a moms' club in Burnt Hills, maybe Ballston Spa. I also think there are meetups, from meetup.com in the area as well. So simply my advice is to seek out a group like that and trust me you won't have a hard time finding friends. Also if you are religious, join a place of worship and get involved. At my church I have a close knit group of friends w/little kids. We do bbqs, movies & bdays together. Burnt Hills can be rural but you're not in the "boonies". Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 AM

58 posts, read 189,377 times
Default Other towns

You might look into other towns in Saratoga: Schuylerville, Northunderland, Gansevoort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area