Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM

79 posts, read 340,605 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Syracuse and moved to San Diego for 9 years. The best place anyone could spend your 20s! We moved back 9 years ago and are now moving to VA.

I can understand your pain. I felt like the winters were here too long for my first few years.

I finally embraced it and started down-hill skiing, cross country skiing and running outside in the winter instead of the gym (actually I discovered my favorite running weather is 30 degrees!)

Try planning trips to the warm weather in Feb or March --personally my bluest time of the year.

Discover New England and the Adirondacks. You may not be here long...so really explore this part of the country and its rich history. There is so much to see not far from here.

I am actually VERY sad to be leaving the area. I found the most down-to-earth people here. I plan on coming back for weekend ski trip with my friends and summer adirondack trips. Give it time....you may love it here too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 24,022 times
Default hmmmmm.....

I guess it's all relative really.

I came here from MN, not West Coast, but further West than most locals have gone.

Of course, the snow/cold didn't get to me, in fact, it is warmer here than there.

But, i'm not sure what you're referring to as the two weeks of Spring or Fall. I would say there's at least a month for each...

Fall is actually one of the best seasons here in Upstate NY and especially if you're willing to venture out in the Adirondacks or western Mass. The fall colors are almost always amazing. Of course, if it's not your cup of tea, then this won't make a difference.

One way which I used to get my mind off of the somewhat long winters and the culture shock of this town, is getting into the history of Albany and reading some of William Kennedy's books, especially Oh Albany. It gives a good background on the city, how it came to be and a nice historical overview of all it's neighborhoods, including one on the infamous "Empire Plaza"

There's always the option of seeking Cali "expats" - although are you really an expat if you're still in the same country???? as an aside, I think Americans make way to big of a deal in terms of the our inter-differences (I can feel the criticism this remarks will cull already!) - but it'll harder to really get to know the city. Stick to finding a variety of people in life!

Oh, one more thing, a recommendation of sorts - to get my spirits up, I go at least once a month to get a nice breakfast at the Cafe Madison. This place was renovated a few years back and they have one of the best breakfasts in town (better that any diner!). They're dinner menu is delicious as well.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

585 posts, read 2,215,784 times
I'm kinda thinking the original poster is awol but I'll post anyway.

I moved here about a year ago from Fort Collins, CO. Lived there for 10 years and grew up in rural western Nebraska.

The front range of Colorado today has been compared to California. Lot's of crazy growth, pretty people looking for a better future (many from Calif), a great deal of sun, and lot's of new everything. I personally had a tough time adjusting to NY. Much of it is run-down and some of the people here have a defeated attitude. Many just look beaten down. Some of it probably has to do with the fact that I don't like my job here as much as the one I had in Colorado (might have to do witht the fact that I work in Schenectady...ugh.) Also, I miss downtown Fort Collins and the mountains on the horizon. With all of the trees here, I felt closed in. Claustrophobic.

Now after a year, it's gotten better. I actually like the humidity, the old historic buildings, the dense forests, lakes and streams galore, and for the most part the food is better. Every other person still seems to have a cig dangling from their mouth but it doesn't bother me like it used to. There is a gritty vibe here, maybe I'll just call it character.

Saratoga Springs, however, is not typical of Upstate NY. Most of it is extremely nice, almost to the point of having a snobby feeling. Sometimes we almost feel like we are in Colorado but everyone is obviously more concerned about their appearance here. And most places, bars and restuarants downtown, have this horse race decor dominating everything which feels tacky (haha for you horse people) and touristy. I'm still not sure where I stand regarding this city. I feel drawn more and more drawn to Beekman Street though.

Some days I wish we'd move back to Colorado. Other days, I think that I'd never forgive myself for leaving the northeast.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 07-24-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 AM

49 posts, read 157,988 times
Hi everyone,

Nope. I am not AWOL. I was just waiting for a time when I could sit down and thoughtfully respond to everyone.

Contented: There really was six months of winter here in SS and a brutal time, even long-term residents said it was one of the worst in recent memory. They also agreed the fall and spring were brief.

Part of the reason I dislike it here is the extreme weather. Now it's summer and there have been either heavy thunderstorms or unbearably hot and humid days. Our apt building does not have a/c.

I have met some Cali ex-pats online. Interestingly, they are all down in Albany and all from Northern California, do feel the same way I do.

As Rumble pointed out, part of the population here looks like hell. Not healthy. And I can't believe how many smokers I see here, too. I've heard this from others as well, so it's not just me.

Rosette, I think I gave it more than enough time and I appreciate your suggestions. We were both injured last winter (one of us seriously) from falling on the ice and I don't want to have to deal with that again.

Rumble mentioned feeling claustrophobic. We do too. With no ocean nearby it feels very weird and isolating here.

And I so agree with all of the horse stuff! My husband jokes, "What's the obsession with horses around here?" Now that it's track season, there's more people and traffic and I stay clear of it as best I can.

Before we moved here people were saying how SS was a small city in the middle of the country, which is true I guess, but after a year and change of living here, I'm tired of it. And all of the surrounding towns are just smaller versions of SS with less to do and see.

Oh and Cali-girl, I still subscribe to Los Angeles Magazine, because I don't want to lose touch with my old town.

By the way, I am originally from Brooklyn, NY and lived in SoCal for 12 years. I feel much more like I am from L.A. than NY and I think I need to go back to feel good again.

Okay, that was enough from me! Thanks for listening and giving me your thoughts. I appreciate it all.

Take care,
Ellie

Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 PM

9,295 posts, read 16,577,548 times
Default Wildfires and Earthquakes vs Snow

IMO each and everyone of us have our own comfort areas and upstate NY may not be for everyone.
I've lived in many areas (CA born) including San Diego, and interestingly I ended up retired in Saratoga. Although SD has weather that is perfect, IMO the people are phony and plastic. Last year I spent a week in SoCA and could not believe the increase in overcrowding, large immigrant population, horrendous traffic, rudeness of retail clerks and people in general.
Yes we might have to deal with snow and long winters, but at least our state isn't burning from wildfires and suffering earthquakes.
You have the Pacific Ocean, we have the Atlantic Ocean (which is warmer). It's all a matter of where you feel comfortable.
Apartment living in Albany would not be the best representation of all NY state has to offer. Good luck, I hope you are able to return to CA.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi Ellwood,

Thanks for your response. Very well put.

I try not to reject things without trying them first. We knew living here would be an adjustment, but had no idea after a year it would still feel the same. We thought having seasons and living in such a desirable part of the Adirondacks would be interesting. It's just a wrong fit and although I don't relish the whole packing and moving deal again, I think I have no choice.

Yes, I do hope we'll be able to return to CA. It's certainly not perfect, no place is, but it is truly where I feel at home the most.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,900,070 times
Default Finding your comfort zone

I think that's what it's all about. And thank God we live in a country where we are free to do that, if we so choose and have the means. But I must take issue with Ellwood's statement that the retail clerks are rude in So Cal. I found when I visited upstate last summer that most people that I came in contact with were surly or just sort of matter-of-fact and uninterested - and we were in a very touristy area where they should be turning on the charm. Californians are the friendliest people, always with a sunny smile and an upbeat attitude - even if it is phony most of the time! We are the inventors of the "Have a Nice Day " for goodness sake! People are very optimistic in this state, despite the current bad economy. Upstate...well, one poster on another thread put it best when they said that people have a "beaten down look" about them. Perhaps Saratoga is different, I don't know. I only visited there once when I was a child.

As for the biblical-type pestilence you ascribe to us, I just read about tornadoes in New Hamphire, and violent electrical storms across NY and New England. I guess stuff happens everywhere, huh?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Looking4Home,

You are so right!
We did have very severe electrical storms this past weekend. In the last week, 4 people were struck by lightning and hospitalized. It was incredibly scary, even though I was safe at home.

I also disagree about rude clerks in SoCal. Maybe Mercury was in retrograde (see, living in L.A. made me aware of this stuff ) when Ellwood was there.

Seriously, the first thing I noticed when I moved to L.A. was how clerks always greeted you warmly when you came in the store and always thanked you for coming when you left. Even if you didn't buy anything.

Not so much here upstate. I've often felt invisible in many stores.

It's track season here now, so I'm sure all of the clerks are going to be uber-friendly, since many businesses count on the season for a big chunk of their income.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

9,295 posts, read 16,577,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I think that's what it's all about. And thank God we live in a country where we are free to do that, if we so choose and have the means. But I must take issue with Ellwood's statement that the retail clerks are rude in So Cal. I found when I visited upstate last summer that most people that I came in contact with were surly or just sort of matter-of-fact and uninterested - and we were in a very touristy area where they should be turning on the charm. Californians are the friendliest people, always with a sunny smile and an upbeat attitude - even if it is phony most of the time! We are the inventors of the "Have a Nice Day " for goodness sake! People are very optimistic in this state, despite the current bad economy. Upstate...well, one poster on another thread put it best when they said that people have a "beaten down look" about them. Perhaps Saratoga is different, I don't know. I only visited there once when I was a child.

As for the biblical-type pestilence you ascribe to us, I just read about tornadoes in New Hamphire, and violent electrical storms across NY and New England. I guess stuff happens everywhere, huh?
In any area you will come across rude people, NY or CA. Apparently some areas in CA haven't gotten the memo on the sunny smiles and phony upbeat attitude. That was my experience working in San Diego, LA and Santa Barbara commuting on a weekly basis for a couple of months. Wildfires, earthquakes (preparing for the BIG one), tornadoes, electrical storms (?) not sure what the issue with electrical storms was, as the wildfires was started by one, what makes each and everyone comfortable. CA does not make me comfortable, NY doesn't make you comfortable, live where YOU are happy. These are OPINIONS and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I prefer the NY and Jersey attitudes to the phony attitudes in CA. That's my opinion, you have your own opinions.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,879 times
Default Also from So Cal

Just wanted to welcome you to the Capital District. My husband and I are native San Diegan's who moved to this area eight years ago (or "seven winters" as I like to say). I'm sorry you're having a hard time adjusting. I did too at first, but now I'm really loving it. I think there is a great quality of life here. My 13 mile commute takes me 15 minutes each morning. We bought a house with lots of privacy on 21 acres for almost half of what we sold our home for. There are great music forums (SPAC, Tanglewood, etc.). It only takes 2.5 hours to drive to NYC, 3 to Boston, and 3.5 to Montreal. Not to say there aren't down sides as well. The taxes are HORRID (way higher than in So Cal). And forget finding any decent Mexican food (although I am beginning to find some decent mexican items in certain stores). The winters are way too long, but you need to get a hobby. I also miss my family and friends, although we do get back there a couple of times a year. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I know I had a ton when I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area