Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 AM

6 posts, read 22,818 times

Advertisements

Hi Ellen,

I was born and raised in Glens Falls and I never liked it here or fit in. The winters are so defeating...you spend so much of your free time removing snow and ice...not worth it to me. I also don't like scraping my windshield from the inside while trying to safely drive on icy roads while listening to the sand and salt grind away at the underside of my car...lol. The cold and all that goes along with it.....no thanks.

I lived in Phoenix for a year with my grandpa but it didn't work out and I need the family support right now at home. Just like other posters have said, the people I ran into out west were more upbeat, open minded, laidback, progressive...for lack of a better word, they were just cooler. This is just my experience and I'm not trying to generalize. There are many amazing people in my hometown that would give the shirt off their back to you, but I can't deal with the vibes I get from the capital region or the east coast for that matter. Many people in the capital region seem stressed out, outdated ("set in their ways"), and lacking in social skills and health, and it takes getting out of here to realize it. It's also more homogenized ethnically and culturally compared to LA.

I'm 20 and I had no friends going through school here. I made friends quickly in Arizona. I have friendships in Glens Falls but they are kinda surfacy because I just don't fit in with people here...never have. I'm all about the west coast and while I like Phoenix I missed the old neighborhoods there so Cali is my next stop...been to LA and felt amazing there but I definitely wanna check out the Bay Area and maybe SD. Can't wait to get back out there...I'm bored and feelin stuck right now.

Ellen, I just want to know that you are not alone in how you feel and I hope you do what makes you happy.

-Jordan

P.S. Please nobody take offense to what I wrote it's just what I'm feelin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM

138 posts, read 508,128 times
Default Moved from Sac

I recently moved to a small town near Middletown NY from Sacarmento CA. We moved the whole family here for my husbands work. I have lived my whole life in california but have traveled a bit.This place is sure not as friendly as California. At home If you bump your shopping cart into someone they will smile ,greet you ,look at you. Here people avoid eye contact with you unless absolutely necessary. Even customer service at stores are the same way. Minimal hellos and greetings. Back in cali there are alot more smiles and pleasantries. I have not been able to connect with people and even the parents of small children I run into do not seem to be as sociable as parents at home ,say that you meet at the park.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 AM

914 posts, read 2,900,366 times
Hi kiwilover70, I don't know if you read my posts at the begining of this thread, but I live in the Sacramento area, the city of Roseville, to be exact. Where did you live in Sac? I visit this forum because I am originally from upstate NY (Auburn, Cayuga County). I hold a soft spot in my heart for the area, although I doubt that realistically I could ever move back there again.

When I visited the summer before last, I also noticed a big difference in people's attitudes comapred to Californians. In some ways, they seemed less pretentious, less fake, more what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Californians are super friendly - some of that is real, and some of it is put on, or exaggerated, maybe because we've been conditioned to be pc all the time, and careful not to offend anyone! I do think the weather has something to do with it too. when you have abundant sunshine most of the time, your outlook is bound to be, well, a little sunnier! People smile more, feel peppy and energetic, get out of the house and go for bike rides and runs, etc. In NY, you can only do that a few months out of the year. most of the time, the weather confines people indoors, and to related activities, which excludes you from coming into contact with strangers to socialize with, form new friendships,etc. It's probably the closest thing human beings can get to hibernation! Have you experienced a NY winter yet? I'm interested to know more about your move, so please PM me, if you wish.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM

9,295 posts, read 16,578,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
In NY, you can only do that a few months out of the year. most of the time, the weather confines people indoors, and to related activities, which excludes you from coming into contact with strangers to socialize with, form new friendships,etc. It's probably the closest thing human beings can get to hibernation! Have you experienced a NY winter yet? I'm interested to know more about your move, so please PM me, if you wish.
We moved upstate NY (Saratoga) from NJ, although have traveled extensively and lived in various areas for a few years here and there (San Diego was one). I agree with you about the phoniness with Californians. We found people upstate very friendly and helpful. I would imagine it varies with the different areas. We have noticed in down state areas that the people aren't as friendly and upstate. NY state only has about 4.5 months that you are limited to activities, but there are winter activities that can help you meet friends too. I think the key is to get out and about and get involved and you will meet people very easily.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 39,580 times
make sure you get in the sun at least 1 hour a day! even if you have to bundle up and walk your lunch hour, When I sell houses to people from S. California, I make sure they have southern/west exposure and lots of windows! It is easy to be depressed from lack of vitamin B (sun). Cold you can dress for but these long dark days can make us all depressed! Get out in the cold and you will feel better too.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:55 PM

138 posts, read 508,128 times
Looking for homeI am from the Pocket area of sac. We still own a home there. I really do miss the people and the convenience of everything. We could walk to the store ,coffee shop, pizza place. This was great for my kids,15,11 and 4. they could walk to school and had lots of friends in the neighborhood and could walk or ride bikes to their houses. much different here. They take the bus to school and have no kids with walking distance. We have come here for a year to see how we like it and then we shall see. I am not sure at this point.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslieshomes View Post
make sure you get in the sun at least 1 hour a day! even if you have to bundle up and walk your lunch hour, When I sell houses to people from S. California, I make sure they have southern/west exposure and lots of windows! It is easy to be depressed from lack of vitamin B (sun). Cold you can dress for but these long dark days can make us all depressed! Get out in the cold and you will feel better too.
It's vitamin D, not B.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,242,254 times
Default OMG! That's it! Not enuf sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
It's vitamin D, not B.
Is that why I'm feeling so depressed???

Ok, maybe it's that I've lived in the capitol region in a townhouse since Feb 2008 and NO ONE in my neighboorhood has initiated even so much as a "hello" . I say "hi" and try to make eye contact when I'm out walking my dog but ...no go.....

Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post

Ok, maybe it's that I've lived in the capitol region in a townhouse since Feb 2008 and NO ONE in my neighboorhood has initiated even so much as a "hello" . I say "hi" and try to make eye contact when I'm out walking my dog but ...no go.....
We moved to Saratoga (Quaker Springs Area) and we love it! We have met all the neighbors within a mile, while walking the dog, two neighbors helped us install a 50 post fence, puppy sit, exchange veggies from the gardens, etc. We moved north instead of south because we prefer the snow to the heat, humidity, snakes and bugs. Whether you live in the south and are limited a few months of the year because of the humidity or the north where you are limited a few months due to cold and snow, it all is relative. Hope you make some friends. I'll have to look up where you are living.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 39,580 times
Default moving Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post

I love your OMG answer!
Moving is tough, it is easy to get depressed cause you miss your old friends and life.
Yes, I too thought the people, not as friendly as the midwest..then I joined some clubs and found people with similar interests. Book clubs are great, as you really get to share ideas. Many work places, Borders etc have clubs..or classes (community ed classes) work well, photography, art, dance whatever your interests are..get out and find people that like what you do and you will find friends..your neighbors are like mine, too busy...

go enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area