U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Albany next month to start school and though I have made one visit to view apartments (mostly off craigslist, I found it very difficult to find apartments any other way) I found it hard to meet my needs, and I also found it hard to get a good feel of all the neighborhoods on such a quick trip. So I guess this is a several part question. One does anyone know of any 1-2 bedroom apartments in the area that accept small pets, have enclosed parking and could be considered "luxury"? From what I've seen so far it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm from the NYC metro area so I guess I've started with high expectations. I'm also concerned about where I'm living because I do not want to be TOO far from the school, but it seems that there are more options the farther you go. And I also haven't gotten a good grasp on the "good"/"bad" neighborhoods yet because I am so unfamiliar, but from what I've heard there are big differences.
I found one potential apartment by St. Mary's park and Washington Ave, can anyone give me any feedback about this area?
There was also a complex (which would be my preference but it doesn't seem as if there are very many) in Troy called the Conservatory, but again my concerns are over the neighborhood and also if it is too far of a commute. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I think I'm going to take another trip up this week so I would love to hear if anyone has any advice or suggestions. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,953,492 times
Do you have a car? If you don't have a car, you're not going to be able to live in Troy. If you do, you'd probably save money by living in Troy and the commute wouldn't be terrible (hop right on 787 south, get on 90 east... it's easy.) Google maps tells you to take 87 south but that's ridiculous, I dunno why anyone would do that.

The place near St. Mary's Park is going to be a better choice if you're into nightlife though... That area caters to St. Rose and SUNY students.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,636 times
I do have a car, so the day to day driving isn't an issue. The apartment I was looking at in Troy was actually more expensive than the one in Albany, so I'm a little confused about what to make of that.
As for nightlife I'd like to go out occasionally but I'm not that into a crazy nightlife (otherwise I probably wouldn't have ended up in Albany coming from the NYC area), but I am concerned with either area about getting home at night when I'm not driving. Safety is definitely an issue for me being a female in my 20's in a city I'm not yet familiar with. I'm also wondering about taxis, are they hard to come by at night? Like are you able to hail one or you have to call in advance? Also would I be one of the only people my age living in the area if I pick Troy?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,953,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bun View Post
I do have a car, so the day to day driving isn't an issue. The apartment I was looking at in Troy was actually more expensive than the one in Albany, so I'm a little confused about what to make of that.
As for nightlife I'd like to go out occasionally but I'm not that into a crazy nightlife (otherwise I probably wouldn't have ended up in Albany coming from the NYC area), but I am concerned with either area about getting home at night when I'm not driving. Safety is definitely an issue for me being a female in my 20's in a city I'm not yet familiar with. I'm also wondering about taxis, are they hard to come by at night? Like are you able to hail one or you have to call in advance? Also would I be one of the only people my age living in the area if I pick Troy?
No, I'm sure a lot of RPI and HVCC kids have apartments and houses there... but I'm not a Troy expert.... my perception of it is that it is mostly filled with 80 year old retired Italian immigrants.

Taxis in downtown Albany are not hard to come by. Of course there aren't as many as NYC, but there's enough.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,545,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bun View Post
I will be moving to Albany next month to start school and though I have made one visit to view apartments (mostly off craigslist, I found it very difficult to find apartments any other way) I found it hard to meet my needs, and I also found it hard to get a good feel of all the neighborhoods on such a quick trip. So I guess this is a several part question. One does anyone know of any 1-2 bedroom apartments in the area that accept small pets, have enclosed parking and could be considered "luxury"? From what I've seen so far it seems pretty hard to come by. I'm from the NYC metro area so I guess I've started with high expectations. I'm also concerned about where I'm living because I do not want to be TOO far from the school, but it seems that there are more options the farther you go. And I also haven't gotten a good grasp on the "good"/"bad" neighborhoods yet because I am so unfamiliar, but from what I've heard there are big differences.
I found one potential apartment by St. Mary's park and Washington Ave, can anyone give me any feedback about this area?
There was also a complex (which would be my preference but it doesn't seem as if there are very many) in Troy called the Conservatory, but again my concerns are over the neighborhood and also if it is too far of a commute. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I think I'm going to take another trip up this week so I would love to hear if anyone has any advice or suggestions. Thanks!
Hi J_bun - just came back from a weekend in Albany with my DD who will also be in grad school, near the Medical Center. Happy to say we found an apartment and learned a few things while talking with locals. By the way - the local people of all ages were very friendly!

There are several schools in the area, you didn't mention which one you are attending. We focused on the area accessible to Albany Med, so I don't know if my info is helpful to you. I hope, so here goes.

One of the areas we were advised to look around are the streets around Lark Street. Lots of grad students. Washington Park is beautiful, and there are apartments there, but a bit pricier than the Lark St. area. Other streets recommended: S. Lake, State and Madison. Enclosed parking wasn't readily available in the areas we searched, however there are several parking garages along Washington Avenue and on Lark, as well as other locations. The bus line is very easy to maneuver, and tokens are even available in local supermarkets. The buses accept dollar bills too. Good to know if you don't want to use the car occasionally. Here's the bus lines website: www.cdta.org

We worked off of Craigslist - but also drove around and walked around calling phone numbers off of "For Rent" signs in windows. That is how we found DD's new apt. Check the Web Advisor page for your college - they may have apartment listings.

We were advised to stay away from Arbor Hill (we saw that for ourselves...yeah.) You'll drive around like we did and learn very quickly where you do not want to go. Some of these neighborhoods were just dismal, whereas others (like around Lark Street) have plenty of remodeling going on because of an apparent resurgence occurring in the area.

I'm posting a thread to ask for input and general info from those familiar with Albany. Maybe it'll help you as well. Best of luck with your apartment search and school!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 31,427 times
Default albany

Lark street calls "bar's row" means all night life going on in there. If you prefer to study and need silent times I wouldn't peak Lark. Maybe Washington park area is better and more silent at nights, but it is walking distance from Lark, if you will want to entertain. Hard with parkings in there.
Conservatory is nice place, great apartments, parking in the building included, and town of Troy work hard to get better. But they still not there, and if you girl, and have sometimes to walk at night alone - not the best place to be.
We moved from Manhattan and had hard time to find place to live. But we moved for good and had to buy a house.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area