Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,652 times

Advertisements

I may be renting something on Benson St. in Albany. It is relatively close to St. Rose and safety is a concern of mine. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the safety of this particular street, or area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 AM

75 posts, read 293,325 times
Default Apartment on Benson

Benson is OK. The end of Benson closer to Quail is not good, but if you're in the higher numbers in the block just near St Ann (the intersection of Benson, Manning, Main, and Kent), you're good.The higher the house number the better.I live one block over on Kent with my wife and young daughter. I live near the big intersection, and my bock is mostly owner-occupied and very nice people. As you inch toward quail it gets worse. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-12-2008 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM

I see, I will actually be very close ot where it intersects Partridge St.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Not the greatest, but I suppose it depends on your price range and family situation. I wouldn't move in that end with my wife and 18 month old little girl. Rents are much better, though. What's your price range and situation? Maybe I can point you in the right direction...

Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 PM

One more thing...I belong to the neighborhood association - eye-opening both for good and bad reasons...plenty of small crime and several drug dealers working out of houses on "lower" Kent and Benson...

Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 PM

I am a student. The exact street I am on seemed good. If there are 4 blocks to benson, I am on the second one on the east. On the same street as the flower shop. I also noticed one of the county legislators lives at 77 Benson I believe. You really think it is an unsafe area there? I saw the first block of Benson to be pretty bad looking but it instantly turned better looking. Where more specifically are the drugs and small crime?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:40 PM

If you're looking for a long term tenancy, then you'll want to consider visiting a Beverwyck Association meeting next month. They're held at the Orlo on Allen. I can give you the next meeting date when I get back into town. The small crime I mean is bikes being stolen, garages robbed (because people don't lock them), porch furniture stolen off front porches, cars broken into if not locked, and once in a while a car is stolen in our neighborhood. The drug dealer houses run from your end all the way to mine. I've only heard of one incident of violent crime, and that was a long time ago. Also, it seemed that the actual perpetrators of the crime was from a different area anyway. There are several dealer houses by you, and one by me. The guy by me knows we're all watching, so they're very careful. Kent is worse, though. Thepolice are aware of each problem house, and they make frequent drive-by visits to make sure the bad element know they're being watched. Overall, I don't think it's a problem for a student in his 20s who can take care of himself. If you're happy with your spot, by all means stay! We need good people in our neighborhood! However, I do plan to move in the next couple of years for the sake of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area