U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 AM

9 posts, read 23,241 times

Advertisements

i am moving to the area and i will be working in downtown albany every day. clifton pk, niskayuna and colonie are some of the areas we were told might be a nice place to buy a house and send our kids to school.
i was also told the drive from the northern suburbs is brutal. how bad can it be compared to ny or any other major city?
your thoughts, comments or suggestions about location, schools or commute are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,276,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbumbles View Post
i am moving to the area and i will be working in downtown albany every day. clifton pk, niskayuna and colonie are some of the areas we were told might be a nice place to buy a house and send our kids to school.
i was also told the drive from the northern suburbs is brutal. how bad can it be compared to ny or any other major city?
your thoughts, comments or suggestions about location, schools or commute are greatly appreciated.
thanks
None of these commutes will be anything close to "bad" by major city standards. Having said that, the Northway will typically crawl from Exit 9 to the Twin Bridges...and from Niskayuna, you'll have to take roads (e.g. 7) with a lot of stop lights. The North Colonie school district (Latham, Loudonville) will be your best bet on both counts.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM

267 posts, read 905,909 times
I agree w/ the previous poster. Maybe look into Guilderland, Slingerlands as well.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM

79 posts, read 320,555 times
I also agree and would add try East Greenbush and Bethlem....Great schools and I THINK a better commute.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 AM

9 posts, read 23,241 times
Default East Greenbush

Can you please tell me a little more about East Greenbush - type of community, people, schools, cost of housing/apartments etc..

Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 PM

33 posts, read 97,615 times
Default East Greenbush

I live in East Greenbush and work in downtown Albany. My commute is 3.5 miles and less than 10 minutes and I never hit any traffic since I don't travel any highways. 9 & 20 goes straight across the river into downtown. The housing prices here are similar to the rest of the capital region. The taxes are high but the schools are excellent. And, it's not like there are low taxes anywhere in NY. My husband works in Colonie and it takes him 15 minutes to get to Wolf Road so shopping at the malls is close. There is also shopping here so we can avoid the Wolf Road area usually. There's even a movie theater here.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:27 AM

502 posts, read 1,650,296 times
I would highly recommend Town of Colonie... which includes Colonie, Latham, Loudonville, etc. We lived in Clifton Park for 13 years, and then moved to Loudonville for the last 8. I would say that it took years off my life to not have to drive up to Clifton Park and back every day. We ended up very close to everything and almost never had to get on the highway to get anywhere. Traffic is a non-issue in the Albany area if you can stay off the highways. The taxes and things the town does for you are excellent in that area too, compared to East Greenbush or Niskyuna.

We just moved to NC and are still trying to sell our house up there... so I can fix you right up.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM

46 posts, read 155,901 times
its not really bad at all...all those suburbs are good...so are bethlehem niskayuna and guilderland

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM

42 posts, read 168,431 times
I live in east Troy, a nice little modern area like a town close to everything. Was nice to get away from the Clifton Park Northway traffic. Nothing much to do around here though. I have been thinking where I would like to live next? I would say East Greenbush, Colonie and Glenville/Niskyuna would be my top picks at this point. Seems to be some other things going around in those locations. I like to look at lower priced cute starter homes. I have had a fascination with Corinth for some reason latey? Its too far and too old. Always buy a house built pre 1980, pref 1960s, these were the best ones built. Take cre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area