U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM

65 posts, read 344,934 times

Advertisements

I will be a 30 year old professional in the IT Field and was thinking of buying a condo in downtown Albany. I just would like to be close to the nightlife but be in a relatively safe area of Albany. I come from the south (florida) and I 've seen my share of not so good neighborhoods. I know crime is part of life but I dont want to be where it's out of control.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 AM

10,398 posts, read 538,951 times
I know many people who live downtown, Washington Park, Lark Street, Hudson St. area. My son has lived there for several years while attending college and has never had a problem. I also know plenty of single females who feel safe there as well. Sure there are certain Streets in Albany to stay away from, as it is in every city of its size, but anyone can tell you where they are and I am sure it is relatively much safer than Miami. The apartments are quaint, historical and very nice. His last place had exposed brick walls, great view of downtown, etc... I cannot speak for the condos, but I think you will find Albany to be a decent place to live. The worst I have ever seen were a few drunk people fighting in front of the bars after the Tulip Fest on Lark St. If you don't mind the winter, snow & cold then give it a shot!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,542,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeebug59 View Post
I know many people who live downtown, Washington Park, Lark Street, Hudson St. area. My son has lived there for several years while attending college and has never had a problem. I also know plenty of single females who feel safe there as well. Sure there are certain Streets in Albany to stay away from, as it is in every city of its size, but anyone can tell you where they are and I am sure it is relatively much safer than Miami. The apartments are quaint, historical and very nice. His last place had exposed brick walls, great view of downtown, etc...
Hi Ladeebug - my DD is moving to Albany this weekend to attend law school. She is going into a cute apartment off of Lark Street, which was recommended to us by students as a good area focus on.

Glad to read that your DS had a good experience there!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM

65 posts, read 344,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeebug59 View Post
I know many people who live downtown, Washington Park, Lark Street, Hudson St. area. My son has lived there for several years while attending college and has never had a problem. I also know plenty of single females who feel safe there as well. Sure there are certain Streets in Albany to stay away from, as it is in every city of its size, but anyone can tell you where they are and I am sure it is relatively much safer than Miami. The apartments are quaint, historical and very nice. His last place had exposed brick walls, great view of downtown, etc... I cannot speak for the condos, but I think you will find Albany to be a decent place to live. The worst I have ever seen were a few drunk people fighting in front of the bars after the Tulip Fest on Lark St. If you don't mind the winter, snow & cold then give it a shot!
Thank you LAdee59. Yeah I don't mind the cold I actually perfer it lol. Yeah I think Albany would be a good change in scenery. I like being a diverse setting ya know. I never really experiened New York. I hear good and Bad things but its seems the good outnumbers the bad. Thank You Again....

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 AM

10,398 posts, read 538,951 times
Dear Adream, My son is also going to Alabany Law working on his Masters. He wants to (needs) to work for a few years before starting Law School. Small world Huh? Ladeebug

Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM

138 posts, read 560,667 times
As for living in Albany, I've lived here my entire life (im 24) and i would suggest living mid-uptown on the southern side, (south of central ave i'd say,) its overall safer. Theres still bars and nightlife on madison and western near st rose college, and you're still a quick five minute drive from the lark street area (which is more artsy, has a neighborhood feel) and maybe 7 or 8 minutes from downtown (which albanys downtown area is business during the work week days and more of a college- party area on weekend nights) Theres generally always something going on in albany, you can definitely find something cool to do anyday, though a car is definitely needed. The downtown area as for living, going further east of lark st, you're in the projects, either the south end (which looks pretty, they design nice condo looking project buildings!) or arbor hill (ghetto!) too far north in the town in ghetto or unsafe, or just no fun. anywhere south but uptown from lark/delaware is great. Pine Hills is a great little neighborhood, as is Center Square (but parking is a ***** in center square) It really depends on what you want/need, but downtown is definitely not for living in.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 33,553 times
Albany has many great neighborhoods and like every city there are always those areas to stay away from. So long as you don't go walking around drunk by yourself at 2am then you should be fine *LOL* - Check out: Home to learn more about the Pine Hills Neighborhood in Albany and also the main City of Albany site lists all the local neighborhood areas: Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 50,342 times
If you have the money, look in Loudonville. The Colonie, Latham area also.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,562,863 times
  • White Non-Hispanic (61.1%)
  • Black (28.1%)
  • Hispanic (5.6%)
  • Two or more races (3.0%)
  • Other race (2.2%)
  • Chinese (1.0%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
  • Asian Indian (0.8%)

You figure it out.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM

69,397 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
  • White Non-Hispanic (61.1%)
  • Black (28.1%)
  • Hispanic (5.6%)
  • Two or more races (3.0%)
  • Other race (2.2%)
  • Chinese (1.0%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
  • Asian Indian (0.8%)
You figure it out.
What is that suppose to mean? I don't think Albany is that bad really and I'm sure there are some rough neighborhoods like Arbor Hill or some of the South End, but it doesn't seem like things are out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area