U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

Greetings!!! I will be relocating with Lockheed Martin to work at Knoll Atomic Power Lab in Niskayuna. I currently live in Alexandria, VA. I am clueless on how much to ask for salary and where to live. I am currently making 80k with a degree, certification, and working on my masters. I'm a Jr. Contracts Manager working for the government as a contractor right now. Any advice would be wonderful. I come up for my meet and greet next Wednesday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM

79 posts, read 320,368 times
Nikayuna is a great place!

It would help a little to know how old you are, are you married, children price range of housing, what kind of community you are looking for....

Houses can range from around 250K - 900K. A few years ago the houses went within hours. Right now, there is a lot on the market, but I don't think the prices have fallen that much....but might be starting to.

Niskayuna is a great suburban area with excellent schools. There is not much shopping and restaurants in the town of Niskayuna, which leads to high taxes. There is great shopping and restaurant very close...minutes away...

BTY, I moved to Schenectady (the next town) from Fairfax 9 years ago and now moving back to VA. I am very sad as this is a great area!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,117 times
I'm 28, no children, and I will be renting not buying for the first year. I'm from the south so I want to give it a year before I get locked into anything. I want to spend no more than $850 for a 1 bedroom apartment. I am just looking for somewhere that is comparable to the suburbs of Alexandria, but if I need to get into the "city" I am still close to Albany. Also don't want to be in to much traffic going to work.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 AM

79 posts, read 320,368 times
My first thought would be the Stockade in Schenectady. I am not sure of the price of rents, but they have lots of condos and new apartments in restored old homes. This is one of the olds parts of the area and some homes date back to the 1600's I believe. It is also on the river with a great bike path (the Erie Canal System). They have a few great festivals every year, the Stockade Art Festival is a lot of fun. Many singles in this area or couples without children.

It is walking distance or a 2 minute drive (depending on time of day) to restaurants, bars, theater (Proctors which gets the best traveling broadway shows in the Capital District).

Schenectady has been being revitalizing for quite a few years and keeps getting better. Drive down State Street to see where much of the work has been done.

Schenectady has a bad reputation....a lot of it earned, but the Stockade and the GE Realty Plot are the beautiful historic protected areas and aren't usually too bad.

Coming from Alexandria, this is probably the closest to that type of life without an insane commute.

From the Stockade to work would be about an 8 minute drive. The drive to downtown Albany 25-30 minutes (tops) depending on traffic and where you were going.

I am sure you will other people with different advise. I find this forum very helpful. Good Luck with the job.

Last edited by rosette8; 07-30-2008 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Forgot to discuss commute times.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM

267 posts, read 905,175 times
I agree w/ Rosette, my first thought for you was the Stockade. Wait til you have kids for the 'burbs. In terms of salary, I wouldn't accept less than what you are making. I'm not familiar w/Virginia, but a quick salary.com comparison
I did Richmond to Albany, see the link below:

Salary.com's Cost of Living Wizard Tool

When we moved here from Boston 6 years ago, my husband received the same salary, but cost of living went way down for us. We aren't much older than you but have kids so it's different for us; but I admit w/the bad reputation Sch'dy has we really like it. We like the city as well as how close we are to other major cities and to the Adirondacks. Good luck w/your move!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,256,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosette8 View Post
My first thought would be the Stockade in Schenectady. I am not sure of the price of rents, but they have lots of condos and new apartments in restored old homes. This is one of the olds parts of the area and some homes date back to the 1600's I believe. It is also on the river with a great bike path (the Erie Canal System). They have a few great festivals every year, the Stockade Art Festival is a lot of fun. Many singles in this area or couples without children.

It is walking distance or a 2 minute drive (depending on time of day) to restaurants, bars, theater (Proctors which gets the best traveling broadway shows in the Capital District).

Schenectady has been being revitalizing for quite a few years and keeps getting better. Drive down State Street to see where much of the work has been done.

Schenectady has a bad reputation....a lot of it earned, but the Stockade and the GE Realty Plot are the beautiful historic protected areas and aren't usually too bad.

Coming from Alexandria, this is probably the closest to that type of life without an insane commute.

From the Stockade to work would be about an 8 minute drive. The drive to downtown Albany 25-30 minutes (tops) depending on traffic and where you were going.

I am sure you will other people with different advise. I find this forum very helpful. Good Luck with the job.
Beware of spring flooding in the Stockade district!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,518 times
Sorry I'm late on this Aniesa - I grew up in Niskayuna ("Nisky") and have lived in Alexandria for the last 12 years - I'm the perfect advisor for you . I still visit Nisky several times a year b/c I have family up there. I think the person who suggested the stockade area of Schenectady has it best. Imagine a sliver (very small area) of old towne Alexandria without the shops. Very nice old residential urban setting with cheap rents. Only a 10 minute drive tops to Knolls. Other than that, there isn't an urban nice area within 10-15 drive of Knolls (Knolls is right in the burbs). If you're still in Nisky or even if you've come back to Alexandria, I'd love to hear your take on the whole experience.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM

101 posts, read 276,830 times
I am in the same situation as the original poster on this thread. I was wondering if they check these boards anymore. If you still do, could you comment on your decision and how everything worked out. Knolls wants to interview me too.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 AM

267 posts, read 905,175 times
You could always sent the OP a direct message. Otherwise if you have general questions, I'd say ask away. Maybe even start your own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area