U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 12,349 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance and I are considering relocating from NYC to Saratoga County and I am trying to familiarize myself with the local occupations. I currently work for a Hedge Fund in NYC and I am wondering if there are any related fields of employment in the Albany or Saratoga region? Primarily I am wondering if there are any institutional asset managers or investment banking firms in the area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,274 times
I just moved to Saratoga Springs from NYC. I sell trading software to hedge funds, as well as, broker dealers. I'm lucky enough to work remotely and travel down into the city and CT a couple of times a month. With that being said, I don't know of any hedge funds in the vicinity. I think there is a wealth management firm in Saratoga Springs called AYCO and they are owned by Goldman. You might want to attempt switching careers or working in a similar capacity to myself where being in NYC on a regular basis is not critical.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 12,349 times
Ok. Thank you. As of follow up, if I were to commute down to Albany (downtown) from Saratoga, how is the commute during rush hour (8am or 5pm)? If I were to commute outside of those hours, lets say in Albany by 7 am and leaving Albany at 6pm, would the congestion have disappated by then?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM

59 posts, read 275,029 times
In a short answer, NO. Traffic on the Northway(our version of a Freeway) is busy from 5:30am to 7pm, usually. But the people who travel are used to it, and if you listen to the radio, the announcers are usually pretty good about telling you if there is an accident and you could take alternate routes (Rt 9) or the Rt 7 Bypass. Don't worry when you get here you will find a way to make it work. But tele-communting is the way to go.

Last edited by colbean8; 09-07-2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Forgot the Am

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,202 times
Hi NYC Guy 4,
Moderator cut: realtor soliciting As far as the traffic congestion, if you are from NYC, the traffic up here is not at all comparable! In any case you are only looking at 12 miles! It isn't all that bad! I'm from LI and it's way better up here!
Laurie

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-07-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area